Masai and Executive of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masai and Executive of the Year

Why isn't Masai a shoe-in for executive of the year this year? Haven't heard any real talk about the award, but...

-Bringing in the new assistant coaches.
    -JV and Ross contracts, which are both looking like steals.
    -Drafting Powell and Wright, who have both shown the ability to give us key minutes.
    -JT signing off waivers.
    -Bismack and CoJo's great contracts.

Masai has built a hell of a team this year.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Barolt wrote: View Post
    Why isn't Masai a shoe-in for executive of the year this year? Haven't heard any real talk about the award, but...

-Drafting Powell and Wright, who have both shown the ability to give us key minutes.
    -JT signing off waivers.

Couldn't agree more
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Tbh no other team has really made many changes to their roster that impacted the team this much. He deserves it.

Only other candidate really is the Neil Olshey from the Blazers.

Comment

Was his Denver team better when he won last time than this Raptors one?
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

It'll be tough to beat GSW's Bob Myers or San Antonio's Buford.

GSW didn't really make any changes (Barbosa was a good pickup), but they are on course for 73 wins.

San Antonio ended up with the summer's prize free agent and also brought in David West. They are also having another dominant season.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Was his Denver team better when he won last time than this Raptors one?
            It's pretty even. Denver won 57 games, were 5th in offense, 11th in defense with a +4.7 netRTG.

We're on pace for 57 wins, are 5th in offense, 11th in defense with a +5.0 netRTG (our dRTGs are exactly the same, oRTG differs by 0.3)

It's actually weird how similar these two teams are in those stats. Totally different play style on offense though.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

GSW didn't really make any changes (Barbosa was a good pickup), but they are on course for 73 wins.

San Antonio ended up with the summer's prize free agent and also brought in David West. They are also having another dominant season.
              Personally, I tend to value under the radar moves more than obvious ones. Aldridge was an obvious move, the Ross/JV extensions were less clear moves when they were made, but turned out great. Same with the Bismack contract.

Comment

Personally, I tend to value under the radar moves more than obvious ones. Aldridge was an obvious move, the Ross/JV extensions were less clear moves when they were made, but turned out great. Same with the Bismack contract.
                Executives vote for this award, not media people or other irrelevant folk. So maybe they do consider the small victories better than media type would.

Myers did win it last year.. Buford the year before.. so they may want to give it to someone new.. although Masai did win the year before that.

Masai should definitely be in the running though.

Comment

Only Biz and CoJo should really be considered. JV and Ross have yet to play on those new contracts.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Golden state is not in the running, as you said they made no major changes or resigning.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
                      Only Biz and CoJo should really be considered. JV and Ross have yet to play on those new contracts.
                      I still think the contracts should be considered, because giving them those extensions when he did probably saved the team money. They'd both be getting much bigger contracts this summer based on their play this year.

Comment

Ah I forgot the Spurs got Aldridge.

Yeah that combined with 70 wins will probably get Buford the award.

Comment

Considering that in order to put their team together and make the "obvious" move of signing Aldridge the Spurs had to trade Splitter to clear space, re-sign Green, Duncan and Ginobili and still go after a guy like West (and get him to sign a bargain deal), that's pretty damn impressive. Throw in under the radar (your favorite thing!) pickups like Marjanovic and Simmons who have both contributed well when called into action, mid-season insurance pickups like Martin and Miller, and it's hard to think of a team that's done better making moves this season.

I don't know that Masai really did as much. The value on JV and Ross deals is probably going to end up being great, but those deals don't even start til next year. Those deals will impact future seasons more than they did this one, so to me neither are factors in deciding if he's EOY for this year. His big move was getting Carroll, who's barely played, so can't give too much credit for that even if it was a good move and will pay off when Carroll is healthy enough to be on the court. The low-key moves were good (BB, Cojo), but hardly that awesome.

He could win it....Can't think of an exec in the East who deserves it more. And in the West I think only the Spurs, and GSW if you want to reward winning (though they basically didn't do anything) get legit consideration. But I think it goes to the Spurs. Getting the biggest free agent, keeping guys once again on value deals, adding high value depth pieces from very different sources (can't think of 3 free agents much different than West, Marjanovic and Simmons) and having a fantastic season even by their own high standards...pretty great job done there.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                            Tbh no other team has really made many changes to their roster that impacted the team this much. He deserves it.

Only other candidate really is the Neil Olshey from the Blazers.
                            What exactly did he do? Bring in Mason Plumlee? I'm legit asking what their off-seasons moves were to mitigate a complete gutting of the starting line up. I don't follow Portland that closely.

Yes, they are exceeding expectations by a long shot, but is that at the hand of the executive? I'm more inclined to think it's just an accident other pieces decided to step up and make the team competitive.

Comment

-JT signing off waivers.

He'd have my vote. I'm trying to think of another team that would deserve it more.

Maybe Miami? Charlotte?

Comment

Working...
                              X