Game 70 - Toronto Raptors 79 - Boston Celtics 91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    But to Dans point, if Demar had gotten more rest last night, then an extra "recovery day" wouldn't be required. Managing minutes certainly plays into a players seasonal longevity, especially when they get past 25 years old. Resting IS Recovery.

And you can't really compare NHL to NBA, since they already have a longer Regular Season than the NBA, with the same amount of games, and those guys float around on ice, where as these guys actually run up and down the court. Less trips up and down the court is nothing but a good thing in terms of "recovery".
    Lol sorry Joey I'm gonna have to step in here. You've obviously never played hockey before if youre calling it "floating on ice". I've played both sports for years and hockey is grueling cardio. Skating is very taxing, and while yes nba players run up and down the court, they also many more stoppages, fouls timeouts etc, and standing around in half court sets. Some guys practically stand in the corner and wait to launch 3s all game. When you factor in the physicality I'm gonna go ahead and say hockey is more taxing than basketball
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Lol sorry Joey I'm gonna have to step in here. You've obviously never played hockey before if youre calling it "floating on ice". I've played both sports for years and hockey is grueling cardio. Skating is very taxing, and while yes nba players run up and down the court, they also many more stoppages, fouls timeouts etc, and standing around in half court sets. Some guys practically stand in the corner and wait to launch 3s all game. When you factor in the physicality I'm gonna go ahead and say hockey is more taxing than basketball
      They are indeed tough to compare. Hockey is certainly more constant in energy expenditure, but I'd say basketball has more quick-twitch muscle action, reaction-time-critical movements, which can be just as taxing. Shift lengths are also radically different - even with a generally faster pace, hockey players generally are going to be sitting down for a couple minutes after every 40 second shift.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yeah, the average shift time in the NHL is around 45 seconds. In the old days some players wouild have 2+ minute shifts, but there actually was some "floating" going on there.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          They are indeed tough to compare. Hockey is certainly more constant in energy expenditure, but I'd say basketball has more quick-twitch muscle action, reaction-time-critical movements, which can be just as taxing. Shift lengths are also radically different - even with a generally faster pace, hockey players generally are going to be sitting down for a couple minutes after every 40 second shift.
          The best players in both the nba and nhl probably go equally hard as far as physical exhaustion, because over the years coaches and others involved with the game have figured out the longest you can possibly play a lebron or a crosby or durant or ovechkin and have them still be effective. If an nhl player COULD play 36 to 40 minutes a night best believe the best players would. But they are maxed out to their limit.

It's just a huge disservice to nhl players to say they're floating around on ice. There is a few seconds of gliding at times after pumping your legs and in between body checks and diving in front of 100 mph hockey pucks, just as is there is times in an nba game where you stand in place with your hands on your hips.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            The best players in both the nba and nhl probably go equally hard as far as physical exhaustion, because over the years coaches and others involved with the game have figured out the longest you can possibly play a lebron or a crosby or durant or ovechkin and have them still be effective. If an nhl player COULD play 36 to 40 minutes a night best believe the best players would. But they are maxed out to their limit.

It's just a huge disservice to nhl players to say they're floating around on ice. There is a few seconds of gliding at times after pumping your legs and in between body checks and diving in front of 100 mph hockey pucks, just as is there is times in an nba game where you stand in place with your hands on your hips.
            Oh, I agree, the floating comment is unfair. And I agree that both sports have probably maximized their minutes usage for players, although there is a trend at least in the NBA that minutes for players are going down slowly but steadily to reduce wear and tear on players, so I don't think we can say we've idealized minutes breakdowns just yet.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              DD is not a max player.

A max player can take any bunch of scrubs and try and win a game.
              Not saying that DD is a max player (I wouldn't call him that), but in what world is that very good Boston team composed of a bunch of scrubs? Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Amir Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, Marcus Smart, Jarred Sullinger, etc. These are good NBA basketball players. Yes Demar sucked, but let's give Boston a little more credit for the product they put on the floor.

Comment

• Yeah I don't really like hockey but it is crazy intense cardio with all that gear on. I've never seen a guy like Jared Sullinger or Big Baby in hockey. You just can't get away with it. Hockey is basically pure HIIT, which is why you get more of a sprinter's figure. Hoops is taxing in a different way, but not more than hockey.

Anyways I don't have a problem with DC's allocation of minutes last night at all. It's not like DeMar played over 40. And Cojo can handle 32. If that's the price of an active rest day for Kyle (which some of us have been arguing for), then to complain about a few extra minutes just feels like nitpicking.

As a longtime member of the Fire Casey club, I say good on him.

Comment

OK? If he was going to rest JV (when the team was absolute garbage with Biyombo out there) late then we were losing the game. Sure, let DD play for a while to see if he can keep us in it, but there's no reason to push him and CoJo up to 30+ minutes in a game you don't care to win.
                  30+ minutes a game is not that big of a deal. What's the harm? It's not like we're playing a back to back. They're both young and healthy. They can easily handle that.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    no explanation.

But personally i expect this will be Casey's new norm.
                    Possible that the game plan had JV playing x minutes on the first outing on a scripted 3 game minutes build up plan.

Not much left to do in the regular season other than get to the 50 win plateau and make sure all the nicks and pains are as low as possible.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• My opinion they should have rode the biyombo-jt-jj-ross-wright unit that was getting it done. This loss is solely on cojo and demar. They were awful, especially in the 2nd half. Just goes to show how obvious it is that Lowry is the straw that stirs the drink. The stats (which already back that up) don't even do it justice. Him being an absolute shell of himself late last year is also the #1 reason for our first round shellacking, even more than the piss poor defense.

Demar is quite simple a role player. His role is volume scorer/slasher, but he needs players better than him to be on a successful team. Just for comparisons sake, demar is carmelo and Lowry is chris paul. I can guarantee if you took carmelo off the Knicks and put Paul at PG in new York they would still be in the playoff race

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

It's not so much the on-ice activity as the on-ice time. The heaviest minutes forwards in the league are around 20 MPG, with the heaviest minutes D under 30. Nobodies hitting 40 minutes in the NHL, let alone averaging it.
                          They are different games and its a hard compare.
                          Guys who play soccer seem to go the whole 90 plus minutes plus.

Go with the notion that the plan going in was to use JV for a specific number of minutes and situations and then sit him down with a longer does of the same coming next game. Overarching goal should be to have the impact players ready to go come April 15 with minimal nagging nicks.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

• I would prefer to just shut lowry down now and have him practice in bubble wrap, but we probably need to go into the playoffs winning a few of these last dozen games from a confidence perspective.

The good news is we'll have fresh kyle lowry and hopefully 2pat for the Houston game, and I despise harden and really want to split the head to head. That Houston loss stung bad.

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
                              Not saying that DD is a max player (I wouldn't call him that), but in what world is that very good Boston team composed of a bunch of scrubs? Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Amir Johnson, Kelly Olynyk, Marcus Smart, Jarred Sullinger, etc. These are good NBA basketball players. Yes Demar sucked, but let's give Boston a little more credit for the product they put on the floor.
                              To be fair, Isaiah Thomas is a better offensive player than DD (which is where DD is supposed to be worth something)

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                To be fair, Isaiah Thomas is a better offensive player than DD (which is where DD is supposed to be worth something)
                                For argument's sake let's say Isaiah is in fact a better offensive player than DD. How the hell does that make DD not worth anything?

The evaluations made from this IDLD Index are quite strange to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X