Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry's Elbow Injury - to rest, or not to rest...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mess wrote: View Post
    Yeah I agree with Keon. His injury was clearly manageable for a couple months. Then he greatly aggravated it against Orlando so now more drastic measures need to be taken.

    It's not like him playing 40 minutes caused the injury. He shot a ton of shots, hit the floor a ton of times, did his usual KLOE things. Somehow versus Orlando he banged it the wrong way, or it was twisted or pulled or pushed or whatever. It's possible that even without the England injury his elbow flares up like that from just the Orlando incident.

    This is all getting too hypothetical, especially since debating who the fans should blame for an injury is one of the most irrelevant and silliest things we do.
    So you and Keon are claiming that all of the smartest teams in the league, when the preventatively reduce minutes and rest guys, are idiots because those guys aren't hurt. They should just run guys like LeBron and Curry 48 minutes a game because they're clearly worse when those players aren't on the floor.

    Or... those teams know what they're doing, and they should've known Lowry's elbow wasn't 100% and not played him a league-high load of minutes.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

    Comment


    • No I'm saying that they could have played Lowry 20 minutes a game after they returned from England and his elbow likely still flares up after Orlando.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

      Comment


      • Mess wrote: View Post
        No I'm saying that they could have played Lowry 20 minutes a game after they returned from England and his elbow likely still flares up after Orlando.
        Not the same likelihood. The more minutes he plays, the more tired he is, the more likely he is to break down.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

        Comment


        • There is no evidence that increased minutes per game in the NBA leads to increased injuries. From what I read, the problem is with the schedule and increased risk of injury based on lack of sleep. Please show me otherwise if I'm wrong.

          I also think it's insane to think that somehow the Raptors organization were negligent with respect to Kyle Lowry's health. If he had a manageable injury (and to this point he was playing fine, so there's no reason to assume otherwise), then I see no issue with his play or minutes if they felt the risk was low.

          Comment


          • Barolt wrote: View Post
            Not the same likelihood. The more minutes he plays, the more tired he is, the more likely he is to break down.
            his elbow didn't break down though. Not the type of injury that may be dependent on fatigue. He banged it up, which could have occured if he played 5 minutes or 40. I think that's the point they are making. I guess the likelihood of banging it up would be greater with more minutes played, but if these injuries are what concerns people, the only way to truly prevent them is not play at all, which obviously, is not an option.

            Comment


            • I don't see how this poll is really fair at all. My assessment is to let the team doctors handle it the way they know how. If that means 5 days of rest then see how he can play through it, then that's what it means. If they say he needs rest, then rest him. If they say he needs to play then play him.

              But I mean cool. Thread hi-jack too, my first game thread ripped to shreds and even re-titled

              Comment


              • Axel wrote: View Post
                Am I wrong? Can you prove it?
                Yes you are wrong. And the burden of proof is on you, since I'm simply concurring with the actions of the team while you're trying to state something different entirely.

                Comment


                • Barolt wrote: View Post
                  Not the same likelihood. The more minutes he plays, the more tired he is, the more likely he is to break down.
                  This is so ridiculous. He injured his elbow from slamming it. When Paul George broke his leg did people say it was from wear and tear during the regular season or because of just an unlucky incident in one game?

                  Comment


                  • JWash wrote: View Post
                    I don't see how this poll is really fair at all. My assessment is to let the team doctors handle it the way they know how. If that means 5 days of rest then see how he can play through it, then that's what it means. If they say he needs rest, then rest him. If they say he needs to play then play him.

                    But I mean cool. Thread hi-jack too, my first game thread ripped to shreds and even re-titled
                    For the record, I voted to let him play through it. If they claim rest does nothing, then I trust them. Kyle knows his body. Casey knows his player. And the medical staff are experts and medical doctors with degrees and training and such, and know what they're doing. If rest really does nothing, then Kyle needs to learn to play and shoot with this injury.

                    If the staff and team says he needs to rest, then he should rest.

                    Comment


                    • JWash wrote: View Post
                      This is so ridiculous. He injured his elbow from slamming it. When Paul George broke his leg did people say it was from wear and tear during the regular season or because of just an unlucky incident in one game?
                      If he hadn't been as tired and worn down, maybe slamming the elbow doesn't do as much damage?

                      Either:

                      A)It was a freak happen-stance completely unrelated to minutes and a similar break-down last season and he's the least lucky player at the end of seasons in the league.

                      B)Everyone who was concerned months ago about Lowry's minutes despite his awesome play was right, because exactly what we were afraid was going to happen, happened.

                      I hate being right about this one, but I was right about it. His minutes were too high.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                      Comment


                      • JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        his elbow didn't break down though. Not the type of injury that may be dependent on fatigue. He banged it up, which could have occured if he played 5 minutes or 40. I think that's the point they are making. I guess the likelihood of banging it up would be greater with more minutes played, but if these injuries are what concerns people, the only way to truly prevent them is not play at all, which obviously, is not an option.
                        Well, I'd consider not playing at all as currently being an option for them. Them being Lowry and the Raps. There wasn't really a point to it before.

                        Edit: and why was there no point?

                        GP W L MIN FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FT% REB AST TOV STL PTS +/-
                        28 23 5 38.8 48 3.1 7.2 42.8 78.1 4.8 6.5 2.9 2 23.8 7


                        (This is separate from the whole season minutes played overuse thing, in my mind anyway. I do think playing fewer minutes was always a good idea, just don't buy that any and every injury can be blamed on it)
                        Last edited by Mess; Wed Mar 30, 2016, 04:33 PM.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

                        Comment


                        • Barolt wrote: View Post
                          If he hadn't been as tired and worn down, maybe slamming the elbow doesn't do as much damage?

                          Either:

                          A)It was a freak happen-stance completely unrelated to minutes and a similar break-down last season and he's the least lucky player at the end of seasons in the league.

                          B)Everyone who was concerned months ago about Lowry's minutes despite his awesome play was right, because exactly what we were afraid was going to happen, happened.

                          I hate being right about this one, but I was right about it. His minutes were too high.
                          This doesn't make any sense. He got his injury from a collision with the floor not being worn down. You're literally just making that up.

                          Comment


                          • JWash wrote: View Post
                            This doesn't make any sense. He got his injury from a collision with the floor not being worn down. You're literally just making that up.
                            If, over the two months between the two instances, he'd had enough rest to fully heal the elbow, the collision with the floor maybe doesn't do so much damage?
                            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                            Comment


                            • Barolt wrote: View Post
                              If, over the two months between the two instances, he'd had enough rest to fully heal the elbow, the collision with the floor maybe doesn't do so much damage?
                              This is just a wild assertion not rooted in any fact. You don't know that.

                              Comment


                              • I can't believe you're legitimately trying to argue right now that if Lowry played say 33 instead of 37 minutes per game, he wouldn't have gotten that injury... he easily could have or something else could've happened. We don't have crystal balls.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X