Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry's Elbow Injury - to rest, or not to rest...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It doesn't say all injuries. It's not like Lowry was running and turned an ankle, or came down awkwardly while driving to the basket. There isn't even proof that Lowry was fatigued at the time of the incident.

    Like JWash said earlier, some freak injuries (ie: George breaking his leg after running into an improperly placed basket stanchion) are just freak injuries.

    Could Lowry's injury have been caused by fatigue? Sure. Could a less fatigued Lowry have landed better to avoid hitting his elbow? Sure. Maybe he winds up breaking his wrist instead. Who knows, it's all conjecture.

    We are in agreement that he should have been immediately shut-down after incurring the injury, so there's that. lol
    Risk management isn't about preventing all possible negative incidents - that's impossible.

    But it is about reducing probabilities.

    So if we know, for instance, that a player has had issues playing heavy minutes through an 82-game schedule while remaining healthy, and we know that injuries are more likely to occur late in the season rather than early, it would seem incredibly stupid to increase said player's minutes as the season wears on.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

    Comment


    • Barolt wrote: View Post
      Risk management isn't about preventing all possible negative incidents - that's impossible.

      But it is about reducing probabilities.

      So if we know, for instance, that a player has had issues playing heavy minutes through an 82-game schedule while remaining healthy, and we know that injuries are more likely to occur late in the season rather than early, it would seem incredibly stupid to increase said player's minutes as the season wears on.
      I agree with you on that 100%. I have been in the camp that thinks Lowry and DeRozan have both been playing far too many minutes on average, throughout the season.

      I just don't think this particular injury would have been avoided, even if Lowry had been playing fewer minutes per game. That's why I think it's a moot point, and don't see a reason to beat that drum to try and say "I told you so". A different injury, where fatigue was a factor - such as last year's playoffs - would have me beating the drum with you.

      With this injury, I think the bigger issue is how Lowry has been handled over the past 9 games, since the [re]injury happened against Orlando. Just like with Carroll, I think somebody on the Raptors really dropped the ball, either in terms of the medical evaluation and/or the consultation and communication with the coaching staff.

      Comment


      • I haven't gone back through all the posts, but surely someone else here has had bursitis before and has commented that this is not that big a deal?

        I've had bursitis. In my right elbow, coincidentally. I'm almost certain it was caused by an acute injury that I ignored for a while, leading to the bursa swelling, according to sports doc and physiotherapist I worked with. The "acute injury" was just a general bang on the elbow that hurt like hell for a few minutes and then subsided, so I ignored it; apparently something may have torn, therefore the swelling a week or so later.

        I ignored that, too, for a bit, since it didn't hurt and didn't seem to totally restrict my movement. But it wasn't getting smaller, so I saw the doc. Rest was not a prescription, as this isn't an "injury" that needs to heal. I iced it regularly and had ultrasound on the swelling. Draining was an option if those things didn't work. It took a couple of weeks of visits, but the swelling went down and I went back to regular sports pretty much immediately with no ill effects.

        I imagine drainage would be a more desirable option for Lowry simply given they want him back in action ASAP. Long story short, if this bursitis thing is the whole truth -- and there's no reason to question otherwise -- it's probably not a game-changer in terms of playoff implications of any kind.

        I'd be tempted to let him sit a week and get him back in action if/when Carroll comes back for the last 3 games, personally.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

        Comment


        • jimmie wrote: View Post
          I haven't gone back through all the posts, but surely someone else here has had bursitis before and has commented that this is not that big a deal?

          I've had bursitis. In my right elbow, coincidentally. I'm almost certain it was caused by an acute injury that I ignored for a while, leading to the bursa swelling, according to sports doc and physiotherapist I worked with. The "acute injury" was just a general bang on the elbow that hurt like hell for a few minutes and then subsided, so I ignored it; apparently something may have torn, therefore the swelling a week or so later.

          I ignored that, too, for a bit, since it didn't hurt and didn't seem to totally restrict my movement. But it wasn't getting smaller, so I saw the doc. Rest was not a prescription, as this isn't an "injury" that needs to heal. I iced it regularly and had ultrasound on the swelling. Draining was an option if those things didn't work. It took a couple of weeks of visits, but the swelling went down and I went back to regular sports pretty much immediately with no ill effects.

          I imagine drainage would be a more desirable option for Lowry simply given they want him back in action ASAP. Long story short, if this bursitis thing is the whole truth -- and there's no reason to question otherwise -- it's probably not a game-changer in terms of playoff implications of any kind.

          I'd be tempted to let him sit a week and get him back in action if/when Carroll comes back for the last 3 games, personally.
          Agreed, it shouldn't be a big deal. It only becomes a big deal of they run him out there every single night until the playoffs and let him bang with bigs and hardwood floors. A week to 10 days of rest please.
          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

          Comment


          • jimmie wrote: View Post
            I haven't gone back through all the posts, but surely someone else here has had bursitis before and has commented that this is not that big a deal?

            I've had bursitis. In my right elbow, coincidentally. I'm almost certain it was caused by an acute injury that I ignored for a while, leading to the bursa swelling, according to sports doc and physiotherapist I worked with. The "acute injury" was just a general bang on the elbow that hurt like hell for a few minutes and then subsided, so I ignored it; apparently something may have torn, therefore the swelling a week or so later.

            I ignored that, too, for a bit, since it didn't hurt and didn't seem to totally restrict my movement. But it wasn't getting smaller, so I saw the doc. Rest was not a prescription, as this isn't an "injury" that needs to heal. I iced it regularly and had ultrasound on the swelling. Draining was an option if those things didn't work. It took a couple of weeks of visits, but the swelling went down and I went back to regular sports pretty much immediately with no ill effects.

            I imagine drainage would be a more desirable option for Lowry simply given they want him back in action ASAP. Long story short, if this bursitis thing is the whole truth -- and there's no reason to question otherwise -- it's probably not a game-changer in terms of playoff implications of any kind.

            I'd be tempted to let him sit a week and get him back in action if/when Carroll comes back for the last 3 games, personally.
            Except the injury happened two months ago, and it's not better. Not all injuries are created equal.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

            Comment


            • If rest is what Lowry needs to heal the injury then why is the team not giving it to him? Anyone have an explanation for that other than the strawman of just calling them stupid?

              Comment


              • Barolt wrote: View Post
                Except the injury happened two months ago, and it's not better. Not all injuries are created equal.
                He got player of the week the week before last.. while injured. Can't discount that fact.

                I don't mind rest, but I think a reduced workload is just as sufficient. Give the guy 20 minutes instead of 36. That's not Casey's mo though.

                Comment


                • JWash wrote: View Post
                  If rest is what Lowry needs to heal the injury then why is the team not giving it to him? Anyone have an explanation for that other than the strawman of just calling them stupid?
                  Just because you disagree doesn't mean the point doesn't have merit. Coaches, players, GMs, trainers etc make mistakes all the time, some because of the pressure to win and some because of poor decision making.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                  If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                  Comment


                  • jimmie wrote: View Post
                    I haven't gone back through all the posts, but surely someone else here has had bursitis before and has commented that this is not that big a deal?

                    I've had bursitis. In my right elbow, coincidentally. I'm almost certain it was caused by an acute injury that I ignored for a while, leading to the bursa swelling, according to sports doc and physiotherapist I worked with. The "acute injury" was just a general bang on the elbow that hurt like hell for a few minutes and then subsided, so I ignored it; apparently something may have torn, therefore the swelling a week or so later.

                    I ignored that, too, for a bit, since it didn't hurt and didn't seem to totally restrict my movement. But it wasn't getting smaller, so I saw the doc. Rest was not a prescription, as this isn't an "injury" that needs to heal. I iced it regularly and had ultrasound on the swelling. Draining was an option if those things didn't work. It took a couple of weeks of visits, but the swelling went down and I went back to regular sports pretty much immediately with no ill effects.

                    I imagine drainage would be a more desirable option for Lowry simply given they want him back in action ASAP. Long story short, if this bursitis thing is the whole truth -- and there's no reason to question otherwise -- it's probably not a game-changer in terms of playoff implications of any kind.

                    I'd be tempted to let him sit a week and get him back in action if/when Carroll comes back for the last 3 games, personally.
                    It's only a big deal because Lowry has been shooting like shit and attributed it to how sore his elbow was. It won't keep him out of the playoffs, but if he's shooting like shit the whole time, then we aren't winning in the playoffs.

                    Comment


                    • The funny thing is mutant-elbow-lowry is not a good player and we lose with him anyways. So "going for the win" doesn't even hold weight
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • It seems to me that Casey has every reason to rest anyone who has a nagging injury right now. aside from a 50+ win season, they have nothing to play for in the regular season, and an early playoff exit virtually assures that Casey is out, even though he has done well through injuries.

                        Comment


                        • Barolt wrote: View Post
                          Except the injury happened two months ago, and it's not better. Not all injuries are created equal.
                          Yeah, except, like I said, the bursitis is not "the injury". It's a result. If the "injury" whatever that was, occurred 2 months ago, chances are it's fully healed. But neither you nor I am a doctor, and the Raptors have one of the better medical staffs in the league by some accounts, so I'll let them handle it and not worry about it overmuch.

                          Edit: I'd still rest him, personally. I don't see the standings changing with or without him down the stretch, so it seems to be a no-lose to sit him a bit. But to my original point, I trust the professional staff of the Raptors to handle this appropriately.
                          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

                          Comment


                          • Axel wrote: View Post
                            Just because you disagree doesn't mean the point doesn't have merit. Coaches, players, GMs, trainers etc make mistakes all the time, some because of the pressure to win and some because of poor decision making.
                            The point is incomplete and as a result has no merit

                            Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • JWash wrote: View Post
                              The point is incomplete and as a result has no merit
                              No it's not. You're just refusing to accept any other possibility existing than the one you've decided on.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                              If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                              Comment


                              • Axel wrote: View Post
                                No it's not. You're just refusing to accept any other possibility existing than the one you've decided on.
                                Pretty sure that's the other way around.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X