Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry's Elbow Injury - to rest, or not to rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    The logic is completely flawed. There are so many other factors that affect injuries besides just playing time. Some guys who hardly play at all get injured all the time.
    Yes. Hence the random effects. Obviously they are kind of important. It's like you only read one line of each of my posts...
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

At worst, he doesn't get better, he doesn't get used to playing with the nick and then completely plays like crap in the playoffs as a result. At least if he's playing he can adjust to it and hopefully get to near his peak level for playoffs.
      This is insane.

He's going to learn to be just as good by adjusting to the fact that his elbow hurts and doesn't physically work the way it used to?

Perfecting any skill takes ~10000 hours, he doesn't have that much time between now and the playoffs to remake his shooting mechanics to fit this injury.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        The argument is 1) that bump is 10% less likely to happen in the first place if he plays 10% fewer minutes, just on time basis alone, let along when you consider the risks associated with playing fatigued, 2) playing more minutes after the bump means a higher risk of aggravating/worsening the injury, just on time basis alone, let along when you consider the risks associated with playing fatigued, and 3) playing fewer minutes is a half measure anyway and if an injury requires consistent rest to recover, he should have been sat down for however long it would take to fully heal.
        1) Is just simply false. You keep peddling this but it is absolute nonsense. Certainly, time played affects injury risk but it isn't anywhere near like what you are suggesting - there are all sorts of factors that matter.
        2) Not necessarily.
        3) Maybe, but if he needs weeks of rest/no activity to heal fully then that's not really an option is it?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Yes. Hence the random effects. Obviously they are kind of important. It's like you only read one line of each of my posts...
          I read the entire post, but I learned in my philosophy of logic class that when the premise is false then so is the proof of that premise.

Comment

Dude that excuse is just such BS and you literally use it every game.

Guys need to make open shots, period. There is no excuse, you don't get paid to be out of "rhythm" when you're needed. If guys wanna focus on rhythm instead of shot-making, go sign up for a marching band, not the NBA.
            Shooting is streaky. So in small sample size you'll get extreme fluctuations. Memory is selective and usually only "empty" streaks are remembered. that's the reason "Guys need to make open shots, period" statements arise give a guy 10-15 shots per game and you'll likely get his average percentage every game back. give him only 4-5 shots per game, and you'll see a bunch of 0/5 or 1/5. or 5/5 if it's lucky day

it's the reason Joe Johnson is so unique - he's not streaky

P.S. i do believe preset situations helps to lift AVG. but that's a different animal to handle.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              What rhythm can a player reasonably be expected to get into when an injury breaks his shooting mechanics?

It's not inconceivable to say that playing through the injury actually cost the Raptors some games, when Lowry's shooting (from the field and the foul line) has been absolutely atrocious. It's not like he's been a trooper and played well, despite the injury.

Lowry has played terribly due to the injury, and playing has jeopardized future performance, starting with the upcoming playoffs.

Maybe if he had been given several weeks off (no playing or practicing), the issue would have cleared up, allowing Lowry to come back 100% healthy (and well rested) to get into rhythm heading into the playoffs. An odd day off here and there does not equal rest, especially when he's playing huge minutes in the games he plays in, when his injury has not healed!
              Resting Lowry is a tough call. We could easily have been playing a less favourable team in the playoffs if we had given him that type of rest. The guy has to play 40 min. a game to get a win even when he's active.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                1) Is just simply false. You keep peddling this but it is absolute nonsense. Certainly, time played affects injury risk but it isn't anywhere near like what you are suggesting - there are all sorts of factors that matter.
                2) Not necessarily.
                3) Maybe, but if he needs weeks of rest/no activity to heal fully then that's not really an option is it?
                To answer 3, we have 2 or so weeks until the playoffs, at least give him that time. We're making the playoffs anyways.

Comment

• JWash, I don't think you're completely grasping the risk vs reward here. How vital it is to get out of the first round, and how vital it is to have healthy kyle to achieve that. I was on the side of "screw rest" when he was getting player of the months and weeks and we were still playing for something. Now, not only is he injured (fact) but our seed is basically decided.

The fact that this argument has even continued for 5 or so pages is pretty puzzling to me.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    JWash, I don't think you're completely grasping the risk vs reward here. How vital it is to get out of the first round, and how vital it is to have healthy kyle to achieve that. I was on the side of "screw rest" when he was getting player of the months and weeks and we were still playing for something. Now, not only is he injured (fact) but our seed is basically decided.

The fact that this argument has even continued for 5 or so pages is pretty puzzling to me.
                    I'm grasping it just fine man, I don't agree with it.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                      This is insane.

He's going to learn to be just as good by adjusting to the fact that his elbow hurts and doesn't physically work the way it used to?

Perfecting any skill takes ~10000 hours, he doesn't have that much time between now and the playoffs to remake his shooting mechanics to fit this injury.
                      Fields is out of the NBA because Casey didn't play him enough, so that he could get to peak levels of play with his nerve injury. Injuries don't impact your play, so long as you have enough playing time to figure out how to play through it.

Seriously, this idea of simply playing through a mechanical injury is a joke. How many times, in a variety of sports, do you see playing through one injury lead to another injury? For example, if you have a foot injury and attempt to play through it, doing so can lead to an injury in your knee of hip, because compensating for the initial injury is forcing you to change to improper mechanics.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        Resting Lowry is a tough call. We could easily have been playing a less favourable team in the playoffs if we had given him that type of rest. The guy has to play 40 min. a game to get a win even when he's active.
                        The only variable that's likely to massively increase or decrease our chances of playoff success is MVP-level Lowry versus replacement-level Lowry.

That's it. So personally, I'd rather have MVP-level Lowry and a harder opponent than replacement-level Lowry and an easier matchup.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          The only variable that's likely to massively increase or decrease our chances of playoff success is MVP-level Lowry versus replacement-level Lowry.

That's it. So personally, I'd rather have MVP-level Lowry and a harder opponent than replacement-level Lowry and an easier matchup.
                          And at this point we know we're getting the 7th seed anyways. So the other side of this debate is out the window
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Option A - play a less favorable team (subjective) with a healthy Lowry

Option B - play a more favorable team (again, subjective) with an injured/unhealthy Lowry (or no Lowry)

On top of that, I think it's safe to say that the elbow injury has lead to broken shooting mechanics, to the point that Lowry has effectively shot the Raptors out of a couple recent games (both from the floor and the free-throw line). Maybe not playing Lowry for a couple games when his injury was having too much of a negative impact, would have actually resulted in additional wins for the Raptors.

Comment

• Not sure the pink is really helping further the discussion tbh. Yes playing through pain is a viable way to get past an injury, especially when rest has already shown to not help the problem.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Fields is out of the NBA because Casey didn't play him enough, so that he could get to peak levels of play with his nerve injury. Injuries don't impact your play, so long as you have enough playing time to figure out how to play through it.

Seriously, this idea of simply playing through a mechanical injury is a joke. How many times, in a variety of sports, do you see playing through one injury lead to another injury? For example, if you have a foot injury and attempt to play through it, doing so can lead to an injury in your knee of hip, because compensating for the initial injury is forcing you to change to improper mechanics.
                                1. lol

2. Kinda like playing through plantar fasciitis and then getting a knee injury?
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X