Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry's Elbow Injury - to rest, or not to rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Not really. Each time you play you have the exact same chance of winning. Every time you play is an independent event.
    Each lottery ticket is not an independent event, if you choose 2 different sets of winning numbers. Having 2 numbers VS 1 number doubles your chances of winning, since the tickets are in the same draw.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Glad we are relying on a pattern over a year old. Good stuff. No reason to look at how JV has been used by THIS team against DET, that would be silly.
      I'm not relying on anything. I'm just saying that it's possible for JV to become a big factor in the series. The same way Ross disappeared into nothingness in 2014, JV could show up in a big way.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Ok..youre more likely to get in a car accident if you drive all day everyday, then if you just run an errand or 2 every few days.
        Yes, that and the lotto example both seem rock solid. No possible way to argue them.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Not really. Each time you play you have the exact same chance of winning. Every time you play is an independent event.
          You need to re-take that stats class.

Comment

Facepalm
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Each lottery ticket is not an independent event, if you choose 2 different sets of winning numbers. Having 2 numbers VS 1 number doubles your chances of winning, since the tickets are in the same draw.
              I didn't say each lottery ticket is an independent event. I said each time you play is an independent event, regardless of how many tickets you buy. Whether you won or lost the previous time has no impact on the result of the second play or the third or fourth, etc.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                You need to re-take that stats class.
                I got an A- in it so probably not. That'd be a little extreme.

Comment

• twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

What I don't get is this idea that his injury is because of his playing time lol. It's because he got fucking unlucky and got hurt. If he played less he could've easily just gotten hurt another way.
                      Two separate discussions.

I haven't been involved in the discussion about what caused the injury, though for a guy that has a history of injuries and plays a style that seems to lead to more injury opportunities (ie: he's a pit-bull), playing so many minutes (top-10 in the league) seems like you're just asking for trouble.

I've been more involved in the post-injury discussion, and the idea that he expects to heal an injury that heals with rest, without resting. That just seems completely counter-intuitive to me.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Two separate discussions.

I haven't been involved in the discussion about what caused the injury, though for a guy that has a history of injuries and plays a style that seems to lead to more injury opportunities (ie: he's a pit-bull), playing so many minutes (top-10 in the league) seems like you're just asking for trouble.

I've been more involved in the post-injury discussion, and the idea that he expects to heal an injury that heals with rest, without resting. That just seems completely counter-intuitive to me.
                        He said they tried rest (presumably for the prescribed period) and it didn't help, so now they're trying to play through it. Maybe if that doesn't work they'll try something different.

Comment

• Steve Kerr would rest guys if he could right now, but the GS injured list is already full. Pops is, of course, resting guys as usual.

He’s smart,” Kerr told CSNBayArea.com of Popovich. “They’re locked into the No. 2 spot and there’s no danger of anybody catching them from behind. And they’re not trying to set any records. I will be interested to see if they rest guys at home. Do they want to go undefeated at home?

“But he’s been through this forever and, obviously, their team is older than ours. Duncan and Parker and Ginobili need rest at this stage of their careers. That may be something we’ll get to, maybe as soon as next year, with the Olympics and everything.

“The way I look at our team right now is the guys who are getting rest are the guys that need it, like Shaun (Livingston) last night. (Andrew) Bogut missed a couple games last week. Andre, even though it’s unintentional, is getting some rest.”

There is complete confidence by Kerr and his staff that Iguodala, Rush and Ezeli will resume playing in the regular season.

There also is the likelihood, according to Kerr, that Stephen Curry will get a rest night.

Meanwhile, the roster is short and there will be little rest for those on it.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/k...t-rest-players

But what do Steve Kerr and Gregg Popovich know about minutes, player health, and roster management, right?

Honestly I can't believe this thread has run on so long. Minutes, high usage, and wear and tear on players is a consensus NBA "problem" right now that's had discussion at the player, coaching, management, and league level for several seasons. They've discussed reducing the number of games or the number of minutes, eliminating the preseason, adding more rest days between games, and reducing the number of back to backs. Ultimately the owners aren't likely to go for any of these changes because it would lead to a loss of revenue. That is the only reason the current schedule persists, it's certainly not because "modern athletes can handle it."

If Lowry fades like last season (I still have to hope he doesn't), the Raptors need to treat him like Dwane Wade. That guy has averaged fewer than 35 mpg for the past 5 years. Not coincidentally, the Heat are just hitting their stride at the right time and breathing down the Raptors' necks. Toronto really has to make all decisions with an eye to the post-season. I.e. Gregg Popovich sat guys out in the preseason this year. Everything the Spurs do all season long is with an eye to June.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• This like... 7 on 1 debate is fun though. Difficult, but fun.

Comment

He said they tried rest (presumably for the prescribed period) and it didn't help, so now they're trying to play through it. Maybe if that doesn't work they'll try something different.
                              Since the initial injury, he's played more minutes per game than anyone else in the NBA!

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#...sort=MIN&dir=1

That's the opposite of rest.
                              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I got an A- in it so probably not. That'd be a little extreme.
                                You're misunderstanding the cumulative effect individual events can play in probability theory.

Comment

Working...
                                X