Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry's Elbow Injury - to rest, or not to rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Actually no it doesn't.

It would increase to 21% because there would only be 9 numbers left on the second guess.

Now tell me I need to take that class again
    Well at least you now understand the logic you previously dismissed as flawed

Comment

We're not even talking about minutes right now though? People are advocating Lowry to not play at all.
      It's a game thread; all seems relevant to Lowry's injury discussion.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Yup. People always like to throw out Jordan or AI mpg as comparable, but the league is different and playing time is handled differently.
        I mean, players used to smoke in the locker room at half-time, but I don't see anyone using that as a reason why we haven't seen another Wilt.

Maybe we're getting smarter over time, and learning about the effects of heavy minutes on players, which can include wear and tear injuries like Lowry has had the last two years?
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          It's a game thread; all seems relevant to Lowry's injury discussion.
          I didn't say it was irrelevant.

Comment

• "As of this writing, Jimmy Butler was leading the NBA in minutes per game at 38.26. That would be the lowest total for a league leader in NBA history. Just a decade ago, 60 players averaged at least 35 minutes per game. This season, just 20 players currently are above that mark. Across the league, coaches are being more cautious with their players’ minute totals, not just on a per-game basis but also, in some instances, by holding players out of games simply for rest and energy conservation over the long haul.
            The pattern is not accidental and is grounded in rational logic. Reducing workloads on players during the season makes intuitive sense as a way to avoid injuries, extend careers, and keep players fresh and healthy for the playoffs. It also, in most cases, makes your team slightly worse. A team’s best players usually are the ones who play the most minutes. The slow creep of this reduced-minutes approach means the best players on each team generally are playing fewer minutes, with more on-court time for the bench players."

https://thecauldron.si.com/the-next-...588#.gcmai89xp
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• You guys are being trolled hard. Just give up the fight. A guy doesn't say he got A- in a probability class and then completely misunderstand a very simple probability concept without it being a massive troll job.

Comment

We're not even talking about minutes right now though? People are advocating Lowry to not play at all.
                Correct, in order to fully heal a mechanical injury with a key basketball joint, so that he can be healthy and well rested, with proper shooting mechanics as the team heads into the playoffs.

Much like Carroll, it seems that for some crazy reason, the team (don't know who exactly) didn't treat the injury correctly when it was first assessed. Instead, the player continued to play and the injury worsened, leading to a more significant injury and outcome than it should have been.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Correct, in order to fully heal a mechanical injury with a key basketball joint, so that he can be healthy and well rested, with proper shooting mechanics as the team heads into the playoffs.

Much like Carroll, it seems that for some crazy reason, the team (don't know who exactly) didn't treat the injury correctly when it was first assessed. Instead, the player continued to play and the injury worsened, leading to a more significant injury and outcome than it should have been.
                  And I disagree with that line of reasoning based on what Lowry himself has said.

Comment

And I disagree with that line of reasoning based on what Lowry himself has said.
                    As we've talked about with Carroll previously, players will always choose to play if you leave it up to them.

Rest, at the worst, won't help. But it will not make things worse.

Playing, at the worst, will make things worse. But it will not help.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Definitely talking about both. I'm not about to go back through the thread for you, but both topics have been under discussion in just the past few pages and are pretty clearly related. Off the top of my head, DanH and/or Barolt specifically brought up minutes played #'s in relation to Lowry's elbow injury.

Why are you trying so hard to be antagonistic?

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                        I mean, players used to smoke in the locker room at half-time, but I don't see anyone using that as a reason why we haven't seen another Wilt.

Maybe we're getting smarter over time, and learning about the effects of heavy minutes on players, which can include wear and tear injuries like Lowry has had the last two years?
                        Not all of us...

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'll go back to my previous response to this:

First, Lowry is not a doctor.

Second, Lowry did not get sufficient rest. He got an odd day off, surrounded by 40+ minutes played games, as Barolt mentioned.

Lowry's injury hasn't been given the opportunity to actually be rested, to see if the recommended recovery method/timeline actually proves to be sufficient.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                            As we've talked about with Carroll previously, players will always choose to play if you leave it up to them.

Rest, at the worst, won't help. But it will not make things worse.

Playing, at the worst, will make things worse. But it will not help.
                            He said "we" though indicating that it wasn't just his call. They tried 5 days rest, didn't help so they've decided to move forwards by attempting to play through it. Maybe if that doesn't work as well they'll try something different like I said before, although idk what that would be.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I'll go back to my previous response to this:

First, Lowry is not a doctor.

Second, Lowry did not get sufficient rest. He got an odd day off, surrounded by 40+ minutes played games, as Barolt mentioned.

Lowry's injury hasn't been given the opportunity to actually be rested, to see if the recommended recovery method/timeline actually proves to be sufficient.
                              Let me be a bit more clear. I'm not going off of Lowry's opinion, cause obviously as a player he doesn't know enough medically to make an evaluation, I'm going off of what he said the evaluation of the team was (at least that's how interpret it when he uses the pronoun "we").

Comment

He said "we" though indicating that it wasn't just his call. They tried 5 days rest, didn't help so they've decided to move forwards by attempting to play through it. Maybe if that doesn't work as well they'll try something different like I said before, although idk what that would be.
                                Not averaging the most minutes in the NBA since sustaining the injury seems like a good place to start. I could hardly believe that when I saw it written here, even though I shouldn't really be surprised. I want to be optimistic about Casey, but he makes it damn hard sometimes.

Lowry has to be healthy by post-season. They are not winning in the playoffs with him shooting 4-14 and coasting on defence.
                                Last edited by S.R.; Tue Mar 29, 2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X