Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry's Elbow Injury - to rest, or not to rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    No they're not. They are implying that some injuries could have been avoided or mitigated by some players, thanks to rest. They certainly aren't making that claim about every player and every injury.
    But this season was all about the playoffs, right?

That's what Masai's said, that's what Casey's said, that's what Lowry and DeMar have said.

So if it's about the playoffs, and there were any indicators at all that losing a few regular season games by resting Lowry could improve our playoff odds, we should've taken them.

And I've just pointed out indicators that more rest could've improved those odds.

In fact, the Sloan piece flat out says that rest towards the end of the season is more important. Lowry's minutes have been increasing since the beginning of the season. It's like we're TRYING to get him hurt.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      From the truehoop piece.

Maybe not so impossible to quantify?

And again:

"If we rested the top 20% of high risk players it would potentially prevent 60% of all injuries"

From the Sloan piece.

Given that Lowry led the league in minutes for two months following an injury, and has a history of late-season injuries, and has a high free throw rate and usage rate, it would be impossible to argue he's not in the top 20% of high risk players.
      Ok, so based on this article, what is the cutoff point for Kyle Lowry (specifically) to play well with minimal risk of injury?

This is where the impossibilities of quantifying lie. Average numbers give us an idea in general terms, but tell us nothing about Kyle Lowry's risk.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Ok, so based on this article, what is the cutoff point for Kyle Lowry (specifically) to play well with minimal risk of injury?

This is where the impossibilities of quantifying lie. Average numbers give us an idea in general terms, but tell us nothing about Kyle Lowry's risk.
        What those numbers do tell us, again, is that rest towards the end of the season is more important in injury avoidance.

As the season has gone on, Lowry's minutes have risen.

Comment

• By the way, moving goalposts aren't appreciated.

People asked for sources that increased minutes and usage increase injury risk, I found those sources, then people told me that they don't matter in this specific instance because 'reasons'.

Don't ask for something and then be mad when you get it.

Comment

What those numbers do tell us, again, is that rest towards the end of the season is more important in injury avoidance.
            Agreed.

I'm still not convinced it's neglect on anyone's part though. We'll see how the playoffs unfold before I put out any bounties.

Comment

• Bring in Marbury or AI in on a ten day. We're they once not the gods of slam magazine?

Comment

But this season was all about the playoffs, right?

That's what Masai's said, that's what Casey's said, that's what Lowry and DeMar have said.

So if it's about the playoffs, and there were any indicators at all that losing a few regular season games by resting Lowry could improve our playoff odds, we should've taken them.

And I've just pointed out indicators that more rest could've improved those odds.

In fact, the Sloan piece flat out says that rest towards the end of the season is more important. Lowry's minutes have been increasing since the beginning of the season. It's like we're TRYING to get him hurt.
                1. Should Lowry (and both DeRozan and Carroll) have played less on average throughout the season? Yes.

2. Should Lowry have been shut down after re-injuring his elbow a couple weeks ago (the past 9 games)? Yes. At least until the injury was completely healed or at least not causing Lowry pain and discomfort, and not negatively impacting his shooting mechanics.

Would #1 have prevented the elbow injuries from happening, or from causing the current issues? No. This particular injury wasn't caused by fatigue or overuse. It was a freak occurrence that was unavoidable.

Comment

By the way, moving goalposts aren't appreciated.

People asked for sources that increased minutes and usage increase injury risk, I found those sources, then people told me that they don't matter in this specific instance because 'reasons'.

Don't ask for something and then be mad when you get it.
                  Not all injuries are equal, nor are they all caused by the sorts of things that rest can help avoid, which is primarily fatigue and overuse.

No goalposts are being moved. You're simply lumping Lowry's elbow injury in with every other potential injury, which isn't an accurate representation of what those studies/reports/stories are suggesting.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    1. Should Lowry (and both DeRozan and Carroll) have played less on average throughout the season? Yes.

2. Should Lowry have been shut down after re-injuring his elbow a couple weeks ago (the past 9 games)? Yes. At least until the injury was completely healed or at least not causing Lowry pain and discomfort, and not negatively impacting his shooting mechanics.

Would #1 have prevented the elbow injuries from happening, or from causing the current issues? No. This particular injury wasn't caused by fatigue or overuse. It was a freak occurrence that was unavoidable.
                    And again, I disagree with your final point.

The truehoop article flat out states that wear and tear increases the risk for even seemingly luck-based injuries.

"Timing is off, and when muscles fatigue, they're more likely to tear from overuse," Joyner says. "The things you do easily -- jumping and landing -- become more difficult. You see this with ballerinas and ice-skaters; you miss your jumps because you land weird. And that's when you turn an ankle and twist your knee."

Comment

And again, I disagree with your final point.

The truehoop article flat out states that wear and tear increases the risk for even seemingly luck-based injuries.
                      It doesn't say all injuries. It's not like Lowry was running and turned an ankle, or came down awkwardly while driving to the basket. There isn't even proof that Lowry was fatigued at the time of the incident.

Like JWash said earlier, some freak injuries (ie: George breaking his leg after running into an improperly placed basket stanchion) are just freak injuries.

Could Lowry's injury have been caused by fatigue? Sure. Could a less fatigued Lowry have landed better to avoid hitting his elbow? Sure. Maybe he winds up breaking his wrist instead. Who knows, it's all conjecture.

We are in agreement that he should have been immediately shut-down after incurring the injury, so there's that. lol

Comment

• Heh, you guys make it sound like Lowry has no say.... bet he played it down longer than you think. He's a tough kid, likely didn't say a word for quite a few games.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          Heh, you guys make it sound like Lowry has no say.... bet he played it down longer than you think. He's a tough kid, likely didn't say a word for quite a few games.
                          Who's this "you guys"? There's basically one guy making that argument. It's always superjudge vs the world lol
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• go eat a bag of dicks Keon. On this forum, it usually IS me vs the world, you guys are dense!

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                              go eat a bag of dicks Keon. On this forum, it usually IS me vs the world, you guys are dense!

I'll take that into consideration judge. Thank you for taking a kinder gentler approach in this post than you sometimes do
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• hahahaha :P

Comment

Working...
                                X