Game #75: Toronto Raptors 99- Memphis Grizzlies 95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Powell is turning into one of my favourite players. He may be the steal of the draft looking back in two or three years. Very intelligent and brings it on both sides of the floor. I love how he keeps the jets and hops in his back pocket for the right time. He's been catching defences off guard lately.

These are the kind of late draft picks that can elevate a team.
    Absolutely. Talk about a guy stepping in and stepping up. I already trust him more than some other players in our regular rotation because you can tell the kid is smart, hungry and mentally very tough.

Comment

• Memphis played really hard and helped make it an exciting game to watch. They really needed the win. I loved how their key possession came down to a missed Carter three attempt.

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
        Absolutely. Talk about a guy stepping in and stepping up. I already trust him more than some other players in our regular rotation because you can tell the kid is smart, hungry and mentally very tough.
        I agree. When he's out there he looks like an experienced vet that's been in the league for years. I can't say enough good things about him. He's gonna be really good.

Comment

• i looked this up just for hotfuzz ... lowry 36 min

so when are you going out with jennifer lawrence????

Comment

Memphis played really hard and helped make it an exciting game to watch. They really needed the win. I loved how their key possession came down to a missed Carter three attempt.
            lol that shot gave me nightmares from when he was on the nets ...

Comment

• JV with 36 minutes. When's the last time that happened?
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Powell is turning into one of my favourite players. He may be the steal of the draft looking back in two or three years. Very intelligent and brings it on both sides of the floor. I love how he keeps the jets and hops in his back pocket for the right time. He's been catching defences off guard lately.

These are the kind of late draft picks that can elevate a team.
                100% agree

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  JV with 36 minutes. When's the last time that happened?
                  April 3rd, 2015.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    JV with 36 minutes. When's the last time that happened?
                    I don't know if it counts as 36 minutes, but almost a year ago today (April 3rd 2015) he played 35:51 minutes.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I don't know if it counts as 36 minutes, but almost a year ago today (April 3rd 2015) he played 35:51 minutes.
                      Haha. Thing that only happens once a year!

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Haha. Thing that only happens once a year!
                        At almost the same time too. Circle your calendars everyone, JV will be playing 36 mins next time on April 1st, 2017.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          BALTIC BEAST. 7 blocks. 3 steals. Iced the game with freethrows.
                          And he also nearly tore off Jerry Stackhouse's arm post game. Hopefully, they can get Stack some rest before the playoffs.

Comment

• Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                            i looked this up just for hotfuzz ... lowry 36 min

so when are you going out with jennifer lawrence????
                            We're going out next friday. Where should I take her?
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Wow. I freaking love watching JV play when he's not being dragged down by the human anchor that is Luis Scola. These last two games have been two of the best on the year - one of his best offensive games followed by maybe the best defensive game of his career. I don't think it's a coincidence that these are the only two games we've played with a) Lowry in the lineup and b) Scola out of the lineup.

Just a monstrous performance, won this game for us.

Not to take away anything from others, though - DeMar was quietly great all game, and I thought he could have had it easier if we would just run a freaking DD-JV pick and roll once in a while. I think I saw us run it 4 times that game. Pretty sure it led to 8 points. Instead we've got Lowry running PnR with JV and never getting the pass through (although he did get clear for that midrange jumper near the end of the game) or DeMar running the PnR with Thompson/PP for some reason, in spite of both players being better off ball options.

Lowry's shooting looked good, thank goodness. He took some time off from playing defence when their backup PG was in, left him open for no reason a bunch of times and he hurt us for that. But overall, not bad. Praying that elbow holds up.

Powell.... Can't say enough. He's a lock for full time rotation work next season, right? I think we might HAVE to move Ross if we expect Carroll, DD, Joseph, Lowry to be playing big minutes. Works out since he's the easiest fit salary wise for an established PF in a trade. Anyway, Powell was great on both ends.

Ross caught fire in the 4th, right after I was thinking how the game would be a lot easier if Ross could hit a shot. And bam. I liked Casey trusting him out there in the clutch with CoJo struggling so much.

Speaking of clairvoyance - on that clutch Patterson in bounds I saw the guy facing away from Patterson and thought if this was a movie, Patterson would be bouncing that off the defender's back and recovering it himself. Then thought that was too risky in an actual basketball game. We didn't get anyone free (for a second consecutive possession...) so - movie time. That was great.

Am I missing anyone? Thompson was solid, yet again. I like what he brings a LOT more than what Scola brings. CoJo and Biyombo both had bad games, though Biyombo fouling so much actually helped us the way JV was playing. Need to get CoJo some more rest too. I mean if we are not going to rest Lowry at least give Cory a breather - he's played way more minutes than he's ever even approached before.

Even with a depleted lineup this Grizz team is just scary tough. They got some random offensive performances including a bunch of tough shots (though, also, some blown layups) they made to keep it close. So I feel pretty good about going into their arena and walking out with a win.

Very curious to see what we do tomorrow night. Obvious answer is to rest a bunch of guys and let the younglings try to steal one from the Spurs. So, probably 40 minutes for Lowry.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'd like to see both Ross and Powell get more minutes, with Joseph playing less 2-PG lineups. Let Joseph stick to backup PG down the stretch, so both he and Lowry can play a little less. Ross and Powell have both been outplaying Joseph lately.

During that two-foot takeoff, two-handed jam, I realized who Powell reminds me of - Sonny Weems with a brain and heart, without the 'young gunz/onez' mellow-dramatic hype.

JV is a man, blossoming before our eyes this season.

If this team had a legit starting PF, damn...

That was a fun, playoff style game. It was great to see the Raptors overcome the adversity (terrible reffing in the 1st half), stick to their game plan, and stomp the Grizzlies.

They're either going to come out against San Antonio red-hot riding the momentum from this game, or it's going to be an absolute stinker.

Comment

Working...
                                X