Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very very very very Familiar face showed up again in Sixerland.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    RIP Sixers title chances.

I guess a bunch of perpetual 8th-11th place finishes it is for them.

Can we somehow fleece them?
    Huh? They had title chances?

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
      Noel for Scola and a second round pick
      And Toronto has the right to a 2017 pick swap. Lol

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. BC always was looking for an upgrade in talent.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
          http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...012928256.html

You can call it an expected hire.

Wanna pummel the hell out of this team some more and for nostalgic reasons?
          No surprise here

slaw wrote: View Post
          Prediction: Sixers are back in the playoffs within 2 years and are an ECF contender inside 5 years. BC has his dad there to rein in all his bad tendencies. And with Hinkie and his snake oil act gone, Philly is a legit franchise again.
          No. A team with less than 5 actual NBA players, that has gotten worse every season isn't going anywhere fast. How are they going to convince vets to play there?

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          Hinkie's farewell manifesto is one of the funnier pieces of writing I've read in the past year.

http://espn.go.com/pdf/2016/0406/nba_hinkie_redact.pdf
          What a clown

There's no player on the Sixers that the Raps should be interested with. None of those players know how to win at the NBA level. In fact, players who have left that team since Hinkie took over, have performed poorly for other teams. Hinkie appears to be a poor talent evaluator

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
            Huh? They had title chances?
            That's what's hilarious. After all of it, there are still loads of people who believe in "The Process".

I couldn't get past the 2nd page. Basically read like, "don't blame me we sucked, because everyone sucks sometimes".
            I always gave Hinkie credit for being a very smart snake oil salesman who convinced the townspeople to buy not only a bottle but the whole wagon and then make him mayor of the town. But after reading that I think he might actually believe in his "plan", which means that everyone involved, including him, is way dumber than I thought.

Comment

The guy made some good moves and had some gambles blow up in his face. He's the king of risky trades. The trades that led to his demise were the Jermaine O'Neal deals. At the time he was working to convince Bosh to sign an extension and later to resign. Those trades went horribly wrong and so now there's an amnesia around all the good moves he made.

I don't think anyone is fleecing him in Philly. He'll have a clean slate and no superstars being courted by the Lakers and Heat to account for.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Hinkie's farewell manifesto is one of the funnier pieces of writing I've read in the past year.

http://espn.go.com/pdf/2016/0406/nba_hinkie_redact.pdf
                The first few pages are pure fluff, but he's absolutely right that the 76ers are well positioned for future success.

There's a good chance that they have 2 top-5 picks this year which, along with the addition of Saric, could make them an EC powerhouse in a couple seasons.

However, in my opinion, there's 2 reasons why his strategy has failed:

1. No veteran mentors for all the young players to learn how to be professionals, both on and off the court.

2. Poor player evaluation and/or decision making. Embiid is the example of this - he was a big injury risk, overrated, and played the same position as Noel. Plainly, I don't think he was the BPA (before factoring in position played) and he had big bust potential.

I don't want to rehash all the tank debates, but Hinkie is a great example of the difference between 'strategy' and 'management/execution'.

Comment

Don't forget Colangelo will be able to land something juicy for Okafor in the off season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

I don't want to rehash all the tank debates, but Hinkie is a great example of the difference between 'strategy' and 'management/execution'.
                    Maybe, but here's where I always got into it with McHappy. In the implementation of any strategy there are going to be mistakes made by everyone involved. No one executes perfectly or even near perfectly. And, even if you do, events conspire against you all the time - bad luck is the rule. A good strategy is one that, among other things, can withstand both mistakes and errors in execution and external events and still be effective overall. Hinkie's couldn't.

Also, the strategy not only ignored but required you to ignore too many important aspects of team building and operations to be effective. Asset accumulation is great but if it's done at the expense of operating your business - and in fact requires you decimate key operational components of your business - then it isn't so great.

A rebuilding strategy is about more than acquiring young players and picks - if that's the extent of your plan then, I'm sorry, but you don't have a plan at all.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      Maybe, but here's where I always got into it with McHappy. In the implementation of any strategy there are going to be mistakes made by everyone involved. No one executes perfectly or even near perfectly. And, even if you do, events conspire against you all the time - bad luck is the rule. A good strategy is one that, among other things, can withstand both mistakes and errors in execution and external events and still be effective overall. Hinkie's couldn't.

Also, the strategy not only ignored but required you to ignore too many important aspects of team building and operations to be effective. Asset accumulation is great but if it's done at the expense of operating your business - and in fact requires you decimate key operational components of your business - then it isn't so great.

A rebuilding strategy is about more than acquiring young players and picks - if that's the extent of your plan then, I'm sorry, but you don't have a plan at all.
                      I agree with some points, but disagree with others.

I had no issue with the decision for Philly to tank/rebuild. I thought it was a good decision for them, given the state of their team and the likelihood of them being competitive in the short-term.

Hinkie definitely dropped the ball for two reason, to expand on what I listed above:

1. He didn't factor in the human component. What will heavy losing do for the morale of the players he intends to keep to build around (ie: Noel, Okafor, etc...), the perception about the franchise of free agents he hopes to lure with all the cap space, and the fans? Where was the veteran leadership and mentoring, which is critical for all teams in the league to integrate young players, let alone on a team that was destined to suffer lots of losses?

2. He didn't manage the rebuild well, mainly because he wasn't a good talent/asset evaluator, whether we're talking about drafting or trading. He was effective in tearing down the team, but he was clearly in over his head when it came to building it back up.

The one part I disagree with is the first part, at least where you seem to infer that a tank/rebuild strategy somehow has more potential pitfalls than any other strategy (maybe I'm reading more into it than you intended). I agree that every strategy has the potential to blow up in your face, whether it's to compete, improve, retool, rebuild, tank, organic growth, signing free agents, etc... I don't think there's anything wrong with the strategy implemented, but rather the execution and management of that strategy (see my 2 points above).

Comment

Interesting read. Maybe the most interesting single nugget is the fact that San Antonio started planning for Aldridge 3-4 years in advance. But overall, he makes several good points. "Small markets" have to zig while others zag in this league. But the reality is that it is a star driven league. He quotes that he predicted that future champions would excel in 3pt shooting and pace (Warriors and Cavs). Well, those two teams also have the top 1 and 1A players in the league. Those systems work because those players are there, not the reverse. It would have been something to see how this all played out if he was allowed to stay. He said from the outset that he was doing things contrarian to the league but the consequence of that was having the league come in and put handcuffs on him. Is that really a power the league should have?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Don't forget Colangelo will be able to land something juicy for Okafor in the off season.
                          Yeah, but "something juicy" might be "Rudy Gay."
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

BC has a lot of tools at his disposal to turn this around. Much better position then the Nets job which he was also looking at. BC likes the "name" more so then what that "name" does on the court. Gay, O'Neal, Nash for example. But he also believes in character more than talent. Hence the reason why he drafted Ross over Drummond. And drafted guys like DeMar, Davis, and JV.

I think BC will do well. The cap will help him a lot. Mid level talent isn't as expensive as it once was - and that's what killed the Raptors when he was last here (paying guys like Fields the amount he got was the reason why this team wasn't getting anywhere).

He may not convince a star to come over, but he'll be able to overpay for good talent and get them to come over, which can get them in the playoffs. I can see Howard ending up in Philly for example. He's got the 'name' and he'll be a free agent. And Philly will have a boat load of cap space too. I could even see a S&T where Okafor or Noel go back to Houston.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              But he also believes in character more than talent. Hence the reason why he drafted Ross over Drummond. And drafted guys like DeMar, Davis, and JV.
                              Ross over Drummond, sure. But the others? Davis slipped from a higher projected draft slot and was a talent pick all the way. JV too. DeMar might be a character pick, but the talk at the draft was all about his athleticism, and there weren't any obvious better talents passed over in the name of character.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

With all the young talent/assets that the 76ers have at their disposal, BC could wind up making himself look like a genius again, at least in the short/mid-term.

If I was Philly's GM, I'd look to unload Embiid, preferring to keep Noel & Okafor (with Saric coming over soon too). Even if you don't get ideal value back, he's just too much of an injury risk and bust concern.

Any potential GM must be salivating at the thought of potentially having 2 top-5 draft picks (their own and LAL @ #4+), and another 2 picks later in the 1st round (Miami & OKC).

Comment

Working...
                                X