Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very very very very Familiar face showed up again in Sixerland.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    He doesn't have a no trade clause, so he can't stop it from happening. He's also likely to be happy about leaving Sac and Philly suddenly has new life with the Colangelo's (more so Jerry) in charge.
    I know, but this is Boogie we're talking about. You don't want a pissed off Boogie on a squad full of young players that have been losing for ages. I think unless Philly does a complete 180 in a short amount of time, he'd want out ASAP. I think to keep him you'd have to at least give him a taste of the playoffs in the time before the two remaining years of his contract are up (assuming he doesn't demand a trade in the meantime). In an eastern conference which all of a sudden has a good amount of very solid teams, I don't see Philly in the playoffs in two years as a given.

That being said I think it's still possible it would work out, but it seems a little too risky.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      2006 was a tough draft, but most felt that Bargnani was a legit option for #1 overall. It sucked for Toronto because LMA seemed like the BPA, but they had Bosh @ PF. Three wings were also highly touted - Gay, Roy and Foye (I wanted Gay or Roy because the NBA was becoming a wing/guard league).

The problem was that the plan continued to include Bargnani, well after his expiry date. I was a big supporter of Bargnani, but even I bailed long before BC did.
      That's what I mean. I'm not saying he's a complete idiot for drafting Bargnani, but the level of confidence he showed to have had in Bargnani's ability to be a great player, even after it was obvious that it wasn't gonna happen, was ridiculous.

I still think Colangelo is a decent GM and I think it was a good hire for philly

Comment

I'm not a big Okafor fan. Ideally, I'd want to keep Noel and pair him with a Cousins type big. Noel is a good passer, but needs a big who can help stretch the floor and Okafor is certainly not that (traditional low post scorer).

I think Cousins rep gets a bit over-blown. Can anyone say that they wouldn't be unhappy playing for the Kings and all their dysfunction? 76ers have been bad, but by design and are now looking to turn it around with a boat load of assets. They are in a much better position than Sac imo.
        I just can't see him being happy, and the cost would be extreme to get him, then he'd still have no supporting cast. If they wanted to really try and compete immediately, Lowry is the player I'd target (hometown all-star), along with a DMC or a similar stud.

The big question is, after years of tanking, do you completely abandon the proper rebuild or stick with it? Both options could work, and obviously both come with risks.

Personally, I'd just prefer a proper, methodical team building. A BC-led, swing-for-the-fences, short-term 'all in' move just isn't my cup of tea (once bitten, twice shy).

Comment

Again I think Howard will be the guy moving to Philly. Colangelo doesn't create a team that fits well. He likes 'names'. Nobody is going to touch Howard unless he gives them a huge discount. Philly doesn't need a big, but Howard's name has more stigma than either Noel or Okafor.

Maybe his dad would kibosh it.. but after KD, Horford, DD, Conley and Batum, Howard will be the next big name. And BC will be looking to make some big changes right away.

Comment

The one part I disagree with is the first part, at least where you seem to infer that a tank/rebuild strategy somehow has more potential pitfalls than any other strategy (maybe I'm reading more into it than you intended). I agree that every strategy has the potential to blow up in your face, whether it's to compete, improve, retool, rebuild, tank, organic growth, signing free agents, etc... I don't think there's anything wrong with the strategy implemented, but rather the execution and management of that strategy (see my 2 points above).
            We're using different terms in some ways. Every team, at some point, needs to rebuild. Even the mightiest of organizations eventually needs to tear it down and build again. I just don't think the Sixers overall rebuild strategy was very good. The operational decision-making wasn't great but a lot of that was a function of the strategic decisions that were made.

Conversely, look at what SVG has done in Detroit in a short time. He's collecting young players but he's also establishing a system, developing players and eyeing ways to get better. They also haven't discounted winning. For me at least, that approach makes more sense because it gives you more latitude to have a bad signing or a bad draft pick because you have other resources to play with.

Thing is, the odds of landing a superstar who can lead you to a title are not that great. You are more likely to have to try and build a winner around a group of very good players, so your strategy better account for that. Even if you do get that guy, the work is just beginning. Maybe Hinkie's model accounted for all that but it sure didn't appear to from the outside.

Comment

I'd just like to add, that after only a handful of posts (that I swear I've read before multiple times) about tanking, plan vs execution etc., I'm very happy that the Raptors are not the ones being discussed.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I just can't see him being happy, and the cost would be extreme to get him, then he'd still have no supporting cast. If they wanted to really try and compete immediately, Lowry is the player I'd target (hometown all-star), along with a DMC or a similar stud.

The big question is, after years of tanking, do you completely abandon the proper rebuild or stick with it? Both options could work, and obviously both come with risks.

Personally, I'd just prefer a proper, methodical team building. A BC-led, swing-for-the-fences, short-term 'all in' move just isn't my cup of tea (once bitten, twice shy).
                Part of it depends on the draft lotto, if they get the Lakers pick this year, then I think they have more than enough assets to make a deal for a superstar and Cousins seems like the only one likely to be dealt. Philly also owns Sac 2018 first rounder, which is an added incentive for Sac to deal with Philly. A package of Okafor and Lakers pick at 4 might be enough (which still leaves Philly their own pick, plus Miami, plus OKC this year along with all the previously mentioned players for other deals).

Realistically, Philly could make 2 blockbuster deals and still have a wealth of assets.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Reading some of the comments of Phily
                  fans on different forum they all seem to hate the fact Colangelo is signing and Hinkie let go. They believe ownership jumped the gun and didn't have the patience to wait for Hinkie's plan.

They believe Colangelo will accelerate the building plan by trying to win now at all costs and thus make this franchise a mediocre one like he did in Toronto. Also they fear if they get a top pick, Colangelo wouldn't select Simmons or Ingram but gamble on Bender lol.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    Reading some of the comments of Phily
                    fans on different forum they all seem to hate the fact Colangelo is signing and Hinkie let go. They believe ownership jumped the gun and didn't have the patience to wait for Hinkie's plan.

They believe Colangelo will accelerate the building plan by trying to win now at all costs and thus make this franchise a mediocre one like he did in Toronto. Also they fear if they get a top pick, Colangelo wouldn't select Simmons or Ingram but gamble on Bender lol.
                    Lol, they're worried Colangelo will offer max contracts to Harrison Barnes and Jeff Teague, and be a perpetual 8th seed hopeful.

Comment

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Lol, they're worried Colangelo will offer max contracts to Harrison Barnes and Jeff Teague, and be a perpetual 8th seed hopeful.
                        They would likely need to overpay free agents at this point. Trades makes the most sense, which is where BC could talk himself into trouble.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

They would likely need to overpay free agents at this point. Trades makes the most sense, which is where BC could talk himself into trouble.
                          Not like BC has ever overpaid for anyone...
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                            Nah 2 years is too soon, Brooklyn maybe the only team in the East who is in a worse shape moving forward then 76'ers. I say at least 3 years.

Good for Colangelo, something tells me he probably learned from his mistakes in Toronto and will be more cautious in the future with his draft picks and who he gives a long term big contract too. On the other hand he needs to rectify his wrongdoings in Toronto when he drafted Bargnani and letting Bosh walk for nothing. I say Colangelo needs to trade Nerlens Noel to the Raptors for peanuts and all will be forgotten
                            Read the sixers don't have to match salaries bc they're so under the cap? Anyone interested in trading some combo of tross, delon and\or pick(s) for Noel?

Comment

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post

He means this city.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X