Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of Raptors Republic posters are soley pastionate for just NBA / Raptors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of Raptors Republic posters are soley pastionate for just NBA / Raptors ?

I am often confused that their such a divide and at times resentment from Hockey fans to the NBA ... IF your a sports fan in a city why wouldn't you be as excited about the Raptors in the playoffs then if the Leafs or Jays in ?

I am on another multi sports forum and find it amusing that the Leaf fans don't even visit the Raptor thread ... It is like the Raptors play in another city ..

People like what they know.

I played Hockey and basketball competitively, so i follow both sports.

I would imagine its no fun for a Hockey guy to follow hoops if he never played the game, and visa versa. Then, there are the Jock heads who love all sports.... they are pretty open to everything!

What i think is ridiculous.... when Raps fans get all pissy because they don't feel enough people follow, or care about their team....thats mental. Same with the constant whining that the NHL takes precedence over the NBA on the airwaves. Its business..... we live in the country that invented, perfected and still dominate the sport of hockey.... its just popular. when the game of basketball is more popular and draws more eyeballs and ears..... it will get more play. Its that simple.

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
      I am often confused that their such a divide and at times resentment from Hockey fans to the NBA ... IF your a sports fan in a city why wouldn't you be as excited about the Raptors in the playoffs then if the Leafs or Jays in ?

I am on another multi sports forum and find it amusing that the Leaf fans don't even visit the Raptor thread ... It is like the Raptors play in another city ..
      It's probably because they don't follow hoops. I can relate because for example while I understand how wonderful it must be for Jays fans to finally have a good team again I don't really care to watch it or talk about them. I don't follow baseball. I don't feel resentment, rather I feel... Nothing.

It's tough to follow a lot of sports and Toronto has a lot of pro teams.

Meanwhile the Raptors have enough fans that they don't really need bandwagoners to have an outstanding showing.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
        People like what they know.

I played Hockey and basketball competitively, so i follow both sports.

I would imagine its no fun for a Hockey guy to follow hoops if he never played the game, and visa versa. Then, there are the Jock heads who love all sports.... they are pretty open to everything!
        I played moderately competitive hockey up until I graduated university. I've never made a basketball or baseball team (I'm truly terrible at both sports). Watching basketball and the Raptors is my favourite pastime. I follow the Leafs/hockey from a distance, Jays/baseball somewhere in the middle. And no one would ever describe me as a jock.

Maybe your grasp of how fandom works is not as rock solid as you imagine.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes it is.

Comment

I have become primarily a basketball guy who follows baseball once basketball ends. I just don't have the time or inclination anymore to follow multiple teams across several sports.

Plus, keep in mind, not all of us live and work in Toronto. I hate the Leafs and when did live in Toronto I took great joy in watching their fans suffer.

Comment

Why?

Thats what makes no sense to me.

Comment

I played basketball, baseball and hockey competitively. I quit hockey to play more basketball. I never watch hockey anymore but don't have resentment for it. All of my friends are puck heads but it just doesn't interest me anymore. Basketball is my fav by far but I watch most jays games these days too unless it's an early day game when I'm working. Happy to talk jays anyday. I'll watch the leafs if they ever make the playoffs again tho (ie. Never)

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  It's probably because they don't follow hoops. I can relate because for example while I understand how wonderful it must be for Jays fans to finally have a good team again I don't really care to watch it or talk about them. I don't follow baseball. I don't feel resentment, rather I feel... Nothing.

It's tough to follow a lot of sports and Toronto has a lot of pro teams.
                  As long as I have a rooting interest I will watch a sporting event ... I can understand a hockey fan not following the Raptors to the degree as us but you would think once the playoffs begin we all ( Toronto sports fan community ) would turn the tube on and watch a Toronto team in the playoffs ..

Heck I don't follow TFC at all but when they were playing their first playoff game .. I said why not check it out and see how a Toronto team will do ...

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                    I played moderately competitive hockey up until I graduated university. I've never made a basketball or baseball team (I'm truly terrible at both sports). Watching basketball and the Raptors is my favourite pastime. I follow the Leafs/hockey from a distance, Jays/baseball somewhere in the middle. And no one would ever describe me as a jock.

Maybe your grasp of how fandom works is not as rock solid as you imagine.
                    Dan, similar story. Hockey was my competitive sport in the winter. Golf and baseball in the summer. My favorite two sports to watch are NFL football and basketball; never played football and only played street ball. What you play doesn't decide what you like to watch. Agreed.

Comment

I only play basketball and watch basketball. I sometimes follow the Jays when the NBA season is done but other than that it's nearly %100 Basketball.
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Yeah I never played slam ball but that shit was awesome to watch

Comment

I will never follow hockey religiously. I have appreciation for the game, but its just a personal preference for me. I just never got into it.

Comment

Have tried all but don't play any of them that well. Born in Toronto. Grew up with the Leafs, became a huge Jays fan, discovered the Raptors (who I now follow beyond healthy fandom along with the Jays). To be honest about ten years ago, the Leafs management was so dysfunctional with a game plan of trading away the future to try and grab an 8th seed (sort of like a treadmill team......where have I heard that before?). That didn't cause dislike for the team, it caused apathy. Ironically, at the same time, the raptors seemed to be going in the right direction...with the first overall pick in the draft! I've been hooked since. It's not about being on a bandwagon or just cheering for a winning team. I've been to many midweek Raptor games vs the dregs of the league in sub.500 seasons. I never started any season not thinking "this could be the one" for the Jays. It's more about how the team is run than how they are doing a lot of the time.

Comment

I grew up playing competitive hockey my whole life. I can play basketball but I'm not really good. Part of the reason I watch is because I admire the ball skills the players have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X