Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of Raptors Republic posters are soley pastionate for just NBA / Raptors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boho44 wrote: View Post
    Hockey has more strategy involved than basketball imo

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Hockey has if your goalie stands on his head you can make a nice playoff run ...

Basketball has more personalities in it and with that comes story lines .. NHL is mediocrity with few story lines and few personalities .

Comment

I prefer basketball to other sports. I played basketball growing up and got into coaching right after university and stayed with that until the kids were born. I follow all basketball (NCAA, NBA) not just the Raptors because I really feel it is the best sport in the world. It is hard to find anyone to talk basketball or Raps with on a regular basis, hence the addiction to RR.

I also grew up playing soccer (and coached during university), but don't watch much outside of Euro/WC really.

I have never played hockey except for street hockey (which I played a lot of because all my friends played hockey). I haven't watched a regular season NHL game in a couple of years, but it's pretty much impossible to not have an idea of what is going on. Friends, coworkers, media - NHL still gets the most coverage and will continue to in Canada. I participate in fantasy hockey leagues (RR Champ!) but rarely watch the games any more because I simply find the game not that interesting.

Other than basketball, NFL is the other sport I most closely watch and follow. I never played it in a league growing up because there wasn't a team to play on, but would often play it after school or at lunch. I understand the game of football much better than I do hockey or baseball because I have put the time in to understanding it. I get frustrated by people who are simply fantasy fans and would rather flip through scoring highlights and Yahoo projections than watch a single game at a time. I find too many NFL fans are simply fantasy fans, and I struggle to converse with them when they don't understand the basics of the game (like the difference between a nickel or dime defence). They like the game of fantasy football more than the sport of football. I like both, but see them as different. They usually don't.

I played softball in high school, although it was kind of a joke. I had never played a single game of organized baseball in my life, found my glove on the side of the road at 3 am walking home drunk, tried out for the HS team - was the starting 3rd baseman and we finished 3rd in the province (school record). I mostly drew walks due to great patience and no confidence to swing, stole some bases and played solid D (including a great diving catch right in front of our bench that caused such excitement that we had to call a time out so I could stop laughing in amazement). That said, baseball holds very little appeal to me. Other than HS softball, my fondest memories of baseball are N64 Ken Griffey's Slugfest league in university residence (back to back Champs). I own a Dodgers hat. I would like to see the Jays do well because it's good for Canada, but generally I couldn't care less who won between the Dodgers and Jays if they met in the World Series.

Since I don't live in Toronto (and even when I did), I feel no affinity towards the Maple Leafs (if I cheer for hockey, it's the Sens). The Raptors and the Blue Jays are much more national fan bases at least. In a non-NHL market, there is plenty of division in the fan bases here. Lots of Habs fans, lots of Leafs fans, lots of Bruins fans, lots of Penguins fans (Crosby) and lots of Sens fans. Makes for lots of generic talk and some good playoffs trash talking. But in basketball, if people watch, it's the Raps because that is the only coverage you get here. Unfortunately, a lot of them are the TSN crowd - not the most knowledgable - but at least they are trying. I'd love to see the media outlets attempt to promote the team more to try and get those viewership numbers up, but I know it's a business. It's frustrating, but not much we can do except spend countless hours on RR and try and convert as many people as we can.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I follow all sports. I'm a bit of a sports junkie. I can't watch too much because my 2 kids take up my time. Played basketball and football in high school, and I've been a season ticket holder to every Toronto sports team for at least one season (except for the Leafs ). When I'm not watching the Raps, I'm watching the Knicks (I was a Knicks fan growing up and pre-Raptors), the NFL'S Baltimore Ravens, the NHL's New York Rangers, the Jays and I'm a die- hard Manchester United supporter.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

i only care about basketball.

don't give a shit about baseball or hockey. both are way too boring to watch.

Comment

I've been living in Toronto-proper for going on 10 years now, but just outside the city since I was about 3. In that time, I've only watched 1 Leafs game ... the Game 7 they got eliminated after being up by 3 ... reminded me why I should never watch the Leafs. Lol
            I was also born in Montreal, so I would be shunned by my entire family if I supported the Leafs... I was gifted "The Hockey Sweater" book as a young child, so it was imbued in me at a young age to never support the Leafs. Haha

Was never the same with the Expos .. they didn't get nearly the same attention and love in Montreal, so I was free to be a Blue Jays fan, and have been since I started playing Tee-Ball way back in the day. I still have one of my old "Baseball Cards" where I list Joe Carter as the greatest player ever .. so this was probably in 93 or 94. Lol Parents even have pictures of me at a Jays game when I'm like 4.

But really, my true love of sports started when I started playing Basketball in Grade 3, because that was basically the only sport my little school had, and then the Raptors came to Toronto while in Grade 5 or 6 .. the rest is History. Got my first hoop and went to my first NBA game when I was around 10 years old in the inaugural season, and haven't looked back. Starter for Varsity all throughout Highschool, and was on a make shift practice squad in College.. about as good as it gets for a 6' tall white guy.

But ya, Blue Jays and Raptors are all there is for me.
            Last edited by Joey; Tue Apr 12, 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I've fallen off with my Canucks fanship, but I was never a hockey guy anyway. Raptors/bball takes up enough of my time as it is.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                When I'm not watching the Raps, I'm watching ... the NFL'S Baltimore Ravens....
                Smart man.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                  Hockey has if your goalie stands on his head you can make a nice playoff run ...

Basketball has more personalities in it and with that comes story lines .. NHL is mediocrity with few story lines and few personalities .
                  It's very "hockey culture" (read: smalltown Canadian culture) to be polite, and not stand out too much. Guys like Roenick and Subban are called out for showing personality.

Comment

I grew up with Leafs/Jays/Argos, but these days Raptors/NBA is the only thing I follow daily. I'll still follow a bunch of sports (even golf, F1, tennis) from a distance, but don't really have the time anymore and found myself losing interest in hockey/football/baseball bit by bit each year. Not as much fun if you don't keep up IMHO, but I'll still tune in for big games or if a certain team is having a great run. Watched the whole second half of the Jays' season last year - been a loooooooooong time since I watched that much baseball.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post

Are you serious?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        I follow all sports. I'm a bit of a sports junkie. I can't watch too much because my 2 kids take up my time. Played basketball and football in high school, and I've been a season ticket holder to every Toronto sports team for at least one season (except for the Leafs ). When I'm not watching the Raps, I'm watching the Knicks (I was a Knicks fan growing up and pre-Raptors), the NFL'S Baltimore Ravens, the NHL's New York Rangers, the Jays and I'm a die- hard Manchester United supporter.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                        yup, youre a jock head.... i fall into that category too....hell I watched the Lumberjack game a couple weeks ago

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                          Starter for Varsity all throughout Highschool, and was on a make shift practice squad in College.. about as good as it gets for a 6' tall white guy.

But ya, Blue Jays and Raptors are all there is for me.
                          I feel you

Comment

I used to follow hockey, not religiously, but I was into it. Grew up a habs and pens fan, and adopted the flames when I lived in Calgary (got to see the Red Mile!!). But I've been watching and following basketball since early 90's, a few seasons before the Raps were introduced. Was a sonics fan then, and of course a Raps fan too when they started. I gave up on hockey after the last lockout and never got back into it. I could care less about it now. I'll watch some international events of course, but the NHL does not interest me at all. I think the NBA is a much more entertaining league, given you enjoy basketball of course.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                              yup, youre a jock head.... i fall into that category too....hell I watched the Lumberjack game a couple weeks ago
                              Serious question, what's your stance on the Spelling Bee?

Comment

I am a sports fan.

Played a bunch. Watched more. Only rep the Jays and Raptors.

I've grown up in the golden age for sports in the right market. Cable and All the Interwebs I can handle since I was woke. I've been able to watch anything; Donovan Bailey Lump Ben Johnson in `150m at the Skydome, Jays go Back to Back, Jordan twice 3 peat and wear White Sox Jersey, Mario look as good as Gretzky and retire to soon, Jaque Villenueve live up to his name, Bills go 0 for a million in the Superbowl.

The only thing better than the Jays cruising late summer or Raptors playoffs is the Olympics.

Going to be a great summer.

P.S Mr Eaton was the hero of "the Hockey Sweater"

P.P.S Iridocyclitis FTW

Comment

Working...
                                X