Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of Raptors Republic posters are soley pastionate for just NBA / Raptors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guyroch
    replied
    I am sports junkie ( okay ) although will watch zero NHL playoffs if that makes sense ... I did pose the question to Both Raptor and Leaf fans ... If I can promise you only one thing which one would you choose and the choices are " The Raptors making Conference Finals or Leafs winning the NHL lottery which one would you choose "

I will enjoy the Cavs soap Opera as much as Raptors playoff run and will love the Warriors chase for greatness as much as a Raptor playoff run etc and so I don't need to a long Raptor playoff run but would love the Leafs to get a first overall pic ... Although as a Toronto sports fan it would be great for both things to happen ...

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    I used to watch a lot of hockey but the NHL lost me in the mid-90s with all the clutching and grabbing and neutral zone trap stuff. It's obviously much better now but having lost interest and not having a team make it really hard to get into again.
    Yup.. the Devils ruined hockey for me.

All other sports seem to be too boring to watch. Especially Football and baseball.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    mjt20mik wrote: View Post
    I will never follow hockey religiously. I have appreciation for the game, but its just a personal preference for me. I just never got into it.
    I used to watch a lot of hockey but the NHL lost me in the mid-90s with all the clutching and grabbing and neutral zone trap stuff. It's obviously much better now but having lost interest and not having a team make it really hard to get into again.

Leave a comment:

• Jangles
    replied
    Got out of hockey during the last lockout. Bargnani brought me here.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

Having moved to Calgary a few years ago, I was disappointed by the complete lack of Raptors coverage in all local media. Nothing has really changed, unfortunately. I haven't watched hockey since the last work stoppage (long-suffering Leaf fan living in an anti-Toronto town), and have become a big Stampeders fan since moving out here (had never watched CFL football before; once again influenced by what is available to attend/watch, and what gets comprehensive coverage by local media), in addition to being a loyal fan of the Raptors and Jays.
    It really is quite pathetic how little the Raptors and the NBA are covered or discussed at the water cooler here in Calgary.

The AM sports radio station practically mocks it. You find the odd person who says "oh yeah I'm a Raptor fan!" but quickly find they can't keep up in a conversation of the game with you for any length of time. Really the only coverage you get in media is TSN and sportsnet based out of toronto. Then of course the internet, based out of everywhere.

It's probably quite comparable to what it's like being an NHL fan in the southern US states

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    I think a big part of it is where and when you grew up. Growing up in southern Ontario, I was essentially force-fed the Leafs, Blue Jays and Buffalo Bills. Back in the 80's, technology really limited the sports and teams that you were exposed to, especially on a regular basis. Aside from the local teams, the only teams that you got to watch were the top teams in each sport, since they'd be on the national/North American broadcasts.

Growing up, I played in hockey, soccer and baseball leagues. I also played lots of pickup football and basketball, golfed with my dad, and played tennis with friends. In my K-8 elementary school, the only sports we had were soccer, volleyball and basketball, so that's where I got my first taste of basketball. I remember how excited I was to get a basketball net on my driveway - a sweet one that adjusted in 6" increments from 7' to 10' (made for some fun dunk contests at young ages).

Some friends with older brothers were into the NBA before me, cheering for Larry's Celtics, Magic's Lakers, Isaiah's Pistons, Dominique's Hawks, etc... but I wanted to go my own way and was intrigued by the flashy, young high-flyer... I wanted to be like Mike. I became a huge fan on the Bulls, just a season or two before I got to enjoy them loosing back-to-back ECF to my best friend's Pistons. I think I had the last laugh though. I transitioned to the Raptors as my co-team when they came into existence, until MJ retired for good, and it's been all Raptors ever since.

Having moved to Calgary a few years ago, I was disappointed by the complete lack of Raptors coverage in all local media. Nothing has really changed, unfortunately. I haven't watched hockey since the last work stoppage (long-suffering Leaf fan living in an anti-Toronto town), and have become a big Stampeders fan since moving out here (had never watched CFL football before; once again influenced by what is available to attend/watch, and what gets comprehensive coverage by local media), in addition to being a loyal fan of the Raptors and Jays.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    boho44 wrote: View Post
    Hockey has more strategy involved than basketball imo

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. Basketball runs plays, picks, hedges, man, zone, spacing, switching, etc

Nhl coaches love to talk about systems but all 30 systems basically amount to "play your position dump the puck out the right way and don't let it go in your own net"

Plus hockey isn't stop and start like the other 3 major sports, you go flying past your bench 100 miles an hour and the play can run for a long time without stopping. Therefore less direction from the coaching staff and it's on you to make plays

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    My biggest pet peeve against basketball (and it ALWAYS comes from puck heads), is that you only need to watch the final 2 minutes of a game. Implying that the first 46 minutes are inconsequential, because the game will be close and ultimately decided by free throws/time outs at the end.

Yet, how many soccer games end in draws?

How many hockey games are settled in OT/shootout?

How many football games require a final 2 minute drive?

Haters gonna hate.

Leave a comment:

• boho44
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Basketball moves fast. Every possession is either a stop or a score and impacts the game. Hockey moves fast, but really you can watch for 2 straight hours and the score never changes, and a lot of the times nothing really even happens.
    Hockey has more strategy involved than basketball imo

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    I grew up playing baseball, football and basketball. Started life in Montreal, and became a Habs fan by default. Then moved to the GTA in the late 80s and became a Jays fan by default. Got into the NBA in the early 90s as a Magic fan (loved Penny Hardaway), but converted to the Raptors during their inaugural season, and I've been hooked since.

1. Raptors
    2. Habs
    3. Jays

Oh, and I don't give 2 shits about MLS, CFL or NFL, but I do attend Superbowl parties

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    boho44 wrote: View Post
    I grew up playing competitive hockey my whole life. I can play basketball but I'm not really good. Part of the reason I watch is because I admire the ball skills the players have.

Basketball moves fast. Every possession is either a stop or a score and impacts the game. Hockey moves fast, but really you can watch for 2 straight hours and the score never changes, and a lot of the times nothing really even happens.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Hockey was my favorite sport as a kid, but I liked all sports. I really got into basketball around 13 (1999) and began playing a lot and made my high school teams a couple years later. Still loved hockey and basketball both but in the last 2 or 3 years basketball has passed hockey significantly and it's by far by #1. In fact hockey has kind of taken a nose dive:

1. Raptors and the nba

2. Nfl (Sundays baby!)
    2a. Blue jays

3. Nhl (I'm a Canuck fan)

4. Baseball when toronto is not good

I also love playing golf and watch it a bit, love me Olympics at other random events. In short, sports is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• boho44
    replied
    I grew up playing competitive hockey my whole life. I can play basketball but I'm not really good. Part of the reason I watch is because I admire the ball skills the players have.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Have tried all but don't play any of them that well. Born in Toronto. Grew up with the Leafs, became a huge Jays fan, discovered the Raptors (who I now follow beyond healthy fandom along with the Jays). To be honest about ten years ago, the Leafs management was so dysfunctional with a game plan of trading away the future to try and grab an 8th seed (sort of like a treadmill team......where have I heard that before?). That didn't cause dislike for the team, it caused apathy. Ironically, at the same time, the raptors seemed to be going in the right direction...with the first overall pick in the draft! I've been hooked since. It's not about being on a bandwagon or just cheering for a winning team. I've been to many midweek Raptor games vs the dregs of the league in sub.500 seasons. I never started any season not thinking "this could be the one" for the Jays. It's more about how the team is run than how they are doing a lot of the time.

Leave a comment:

• mjt20mik
    replied
    I will never follow hockey religiously. I have appreciation for the game, but its just a personal preference for me. I just never got into it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X