No announcement yet.

Raptors GM Masai Ujiri says Dwane Casey deserves to remain coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, he hasn't bugged me nearly as much lately .. and clearly he's doing something right. These guys play HARD for him, and he has them playing winning ball. Even the young guys.

Comment

As many have said, he's been better this year. He's had regular season success the past 3 years. If the trend of playoff failure in the first round continues this year, he has to go.

Comment

Just can't see a first round loss this year. Everyone is healthy, the offence and defence are both clicking and the team we are facing has major holes on their roster. Like if somehow we did lose there would be absolutely no excuse for it.

Comment

I like what Casey has been able to do with this roster which if you look at it objectively really doesn't stack up that well against the top NBA teams and many that aren't playing that well but have top talent.

I think he's put questions about player development to bed as he's managed to do what he can while being one of the best teams in the league. I can't really think of anything other than Scola in the starting line up really hanging over his head.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
            I like what Casey has been able to do with this roster which if you look at it objectively really doesn't stack up that well against the top NBA teams and many that aren't playing that well but have top talent.

I think he's put questions about player development to bed as he's managed to do what he can while being one of the best teams in the league. I can't really think of anything other than Scola in the starting line up really hanging over his head.
            Yep. One massive issue is a big upgrade over his usual three or four massive issues from previous years. There's small criticisms with less support (development time for young guys, but Wright and Powell look fantastic; offensive system/guard reliance, but the offence is incredible and JV's usage has been going up), but really only the one unacceptable rotation choice that is problematic this year.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Yep. One massive issue is a big upgrade over his usual three or four massive issues from previous years. There's small criticisms with less support (development time for young guys, but Wright and Powell look fantastic; offensive system/guard reliance, but the offence is incredible and JV's usage has been going up), but really only the one unacceptable rotation choice that is problematic this year.
              really? in your opinion what would that be?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                really? in your opinion what would that be?
                Clearly Biyombo should be starting over JV. :P
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Clearly Biyombo should be starting over JV. :P
                  Dan, Speaking of JV, he's been the NBA's best post-up defender this year, (min 100 defended). I found a link to post-up defense on NBA.com stats but the link seems to be gone and damned if I can find post-up defence on the site. Is that proprietary or do we have a way to access it?
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    JV's opportunities have increased since the all star break. JV looks like a new man from the begenning of the season to now. I'm really excited to see how the big guy does in the playoffs. He's so important to the team's success.

My guess is that he's looking to removed all noise or distractions. Casey has been endorsed, one less distraction to come up in the locker room or in front of the press.
                    Good point re distraction.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      Dan, Speaking of JV, he's been the NBA's best post-up defender this year, (min 100 defended). I found a link to post-up defense on NBA.com stats but the link seems to be gone and damned if I can find post-up defence on the site. Is that proprietary or do we have a way to access it?
                      http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#...CF=Poss*GE*100
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Thanks, Barolt.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Thanks, Barolt.
                          Was surprised by what that showed. Not just JV in first, but Monroe really high and Drummond in the 32nd percentile.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Yep!

Barolt linked it, but you go to "play type" stats on NBA.com/stats, go to "post up," and open up the little "options" gear, you can select "defence" instead of "offence" and set filters.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yep!

Barolt linked it, but you go to "play type" stats on NBA.com/stats, go to "post up," and open up the little "options" gear, you can select "defence" instead of "offence" and set filters.
                              Thanks, Dan.

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
                                Was surprised by what that showed. Not just JV in first, but Monroe really high and Drummond in the 32nd percentile.
                                Monroe has always been a solid post defender, but his help defence is not really there for a full time C, which is why I didn't like his signing with MIL.

And Drummond is just a leaper, you can pump fake him easily enough in the post. Part of why JV usually does well against him.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X