No announcement yet.

Raptors GM Masai Ujiri says Dwane Casey deserves to remain coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my view Casey seems to have the respect of the team. This is important too.

Disclosure: I have never been a big fan of DC but whoever's decision it was...the 2 new additional bench coaches and probably Stackhouse was a very good move....and must have provided further assistance to Casey leading to better in game tactical decisions at least.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

Disclosure: I have never been a big fan of DC but whoever's decision it was...the 2 new additional bench coaches and probably Stackhouse was a very good move....and must have provided further assistance to Casey leading to better in game tactical decisions at least.
      Masai was the one that hired Greer, Kalamian and Stackhouse.

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
        The other thing to keep in mind here is what else is he going to say?

"Casey's a useless coach, I can't believe he started Luis Scola all season."?
        True. But why does he feel the need to comment prior to the playoff?

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
          He wants to shut out any noise aside from winning each round.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

I recall SVG speaking at something or other a few years ago talking about how most of the in-game decisions made by coaches aren't really made in-game but are made well in advance where the coaching staff talks about possible scenarios and decides how they will be handled and that is done the offseason and is just tweaked as the year goes along.

I mention that because, while I can't quite put my finger on what exactly has changed, the team just seems much better prepared this year than in seasons past. It's nothing specific just a general sense I get from watching them play. I think the great staff Casey has to work with has something to do with that.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Plus you look at the model franchises out west (San Antonio, golden state,..dallas?, ) they all have stability in their coaching staff. You don't just "fire casey" because he does a few things the fan base doesn't like. That's a knicks move, a nets or kings, maybe even a bulls move. The guy is getting results and his best players have bought in. And honestly yeah we'd all like to see JV have more shots but in the opportunities he does get you see he's clearly improving and it hasn't been holding back his development, just his stats.
              JV's opportunities have increased since the all star break. JV looks like a new man from the begenning of the season to now. I'm really excited to see how the big guy does in the playoffs. He's so important to the team's success.

psrs1 wrote: View Post
              My guess is that he's looking to removed all noise or distractions. Casey has been endorsed, one less distraction to come up in the locker room or in front of the press.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                I recall SVG speaking at something or other a few years ago talking about how most of the in-game decisions made by coaches aren't really made in-game but are made well in advance where the coaching staff talks about possible scenarios and decides how they will be handled and that is done the offseason and is just tweaked as the year goes along.

I mention that because, while I can't quite put my finger on what exactly has changed, the team just seems much better prepared this year than in seasons past. It's nothing specific just a general sense I get from watching them play. I think the great staff Casey has to work with has something to do with that.
                I agree. Rex and Andy have done a great job. Also Nurse is A1.

Comment

Really smart move by Masai. There was no need to actually make this specific endorsement at this moment in time, but when you think about it, it serves a few purposes.

1) He's putting a huge expectation on Casey, without actually saying those words, i.e., ".... I also expect you and this team to perform phenomenally in the playoffs." Basically building up Casey to a standard that he now has to meet.

2) It's also a subtle warning to Lowry kind of like .... "Casey isn't going anywhere, so even when you inevitably disagree with his coaching philosophies and tactics, you'd better just go out there and play."

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...o-remain-coach
                    via http://cbssportsapp.com

You Casey haters better start hoping Pacer's beat us. Like I've been saying Casey is Masai's guy.
                    I was just watching this on Raptors NBA TV Canada and I couldn't find the Dwane Casey or FireCasey thread.... lol

Yup. Casey is going nowhere.... So the people who were adamant that he's not going to be back, prepare yourselves.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I personally think it makes sense to keep him on here for now unless something catastrophic happens in round one. He's guided the team to greater and greater heights each and every year. He's a legit candidate for COY. If he makes it into round two or beyond it should be a no brainer. Is he perfect? No, he is not. Like him or not, discredit him all you like but all this success we're seeing happened on his watch and these guys can't coach themselves, they haven't coached themselves. He's been the guy leading them and for that he deserves a shot to see where he can guide them with another season or two. This team is so young and talented, the window of opportunity is large. There is no rush to switch right now.
                      Well said.

Comment

Ok guys, I figured it out: Masai came out and gave a 100% endorsement of Casey today because...

...there's going to be a change in the starting lineup for the playoffs. Scola out, Carroll in. Masai knows that changing the starters for a playoff series is going to bring loads of second-guessing, and he's taking a pre-emptive strike against it by giving his coach a full vote of confidence.

Woohoo!
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          Ok guys, I figured it out: Masai came out and gave a 100% endorsement of Casey today because...

...there's going to be a change in the starting lineup for the playoffs. Scola out, Carroll in. Masai knows that changing the starters for a playoff series is going to bring loads of second-guessing, and he's taking a pre-emptive strike against it by giving his coach a full vote of confidence.

Woohoo!
                          Please be true, please be true, please be true.

Don't taunt me like this if it's not true...
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Casey is a much better coach than guy here give him credit for.

I'd rather give him time to grow and have a consistency in both coaching and the GM role than try to find some diamond in the rough.

55 wins with a decent roster, the guys love him, and the team plays hard. Toronto is lucky to have the guy, they are in a good position moving forward over the next bunch of years

Comment

Wow Boston is right back in this bitch and so does orlando... Things are getting interesting

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I don't think anybody doubted that Casey would be retained beyond this season, pending playoff success.

That still doesn't mean he's a great coach, or that he's getting the most out of the talent that is on the roster.

Those are mutually exclusive issues.
                                and what if he makes mediocre players look great?

Comment

Working...
                                X