NBA Playoffs - TOR vs. IND NBA.com preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Playoffs - TOR vs. IND NBA.com preview

Pretty interesting preview... It seems like they hit on a lot of right spots.

The Raptors will win if ...
    This series begins and ends with Lowry and DeRozan. Not only have they emerged as the East's best backcourt while combining for 47.7 points and 10.4 assists, but they've become All-Stars by learning from one another -- DeRozan has grown more fiery, Lowry less volatile -- which has encouraged teammates to feed off their leadership. The Raptors hold a clear advantage here, as the Pacers have neither a traditional point guard nor a go-to shooting guard. If Lowry and DeRozan are attacking from the start, they should be able to turn Toronto's playoff anxiety into positive energy.
    A crucial variable is small forward DeMarre Carroll, who played three games at the end of the season -- culminating in a 21-minute performance (eight points, six rebounds) against the 76ers Tuesday -- after being sidelined for three months by right knee surgery. The Raptors signed Carroll to a four-year, $60 million contract last summer to toughen their defense, and he may be returning just in time to help limit George.
    But Carroll's return also raises questions: Will the Raptors be able to rely on him as he deals with persistent knee swelling? Will he find his niche in an offense that ranked No. 5 in efficiency? The Raptors enjoyed excellent results against George (see below) even though Carroll missed three of the four games against Indiana, so consider a return to prominence by Carroll to be a bonus more than a necessity.
    Toronto will also be looking for a strong series from 7-foot center Jonas Valanciunas, who averaged 15.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in two wins against Indiana. The Raptors will need scoring from their most productive big man in order to punish the Pacers for focusing on the perimeter, which is Indiana's strength defensively.
    http://www.nba.com/2016/news/feature...f:nba:specials

Post em as the come in... This from the Sporting News.. not as heavy on the introspection as NBA.com and pretty succinct in their view. Why do I like this .. because it mirrors mine.

Raptors vs. Pacers prediction

Season series: No. 2 Toronto (56-26) beat No. 7 Indiana (45-37) in three of four meetings, with an average margin of 2.3 points.

Analysis: Paul George made only 20 of his 65 shots from the field and never topped 20 points this season against the Raptors. Those are brutal numbers from the Pacers’ only star, who averaged 23.1 points per game this season. George is playoff-proven, though — he led Indiana to consecutive Eastern Conference finals with a very different roster around him in 2013 and 2014. The Raptors, meanwhile, are trying to break through for the first playoff series win since Vince Carter’s heyday. They have to be thrilled to land this matchup, though, because they will be able to play small or big and match up with George however they want — perhaps even with rookie Norman Powell, an outstanding defensive prospect. George will win the Pacers at least one game, though. And if he gets going, this could be another ugly first-round exit for Toronto. Don’t count on that.

Prediction: Raptors 4, Pacers 1.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news...nd-projections
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Apr 14, 2016, 09:24 AM. Reason: Edit: Link to the Sporting News Story
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

From Bleacher Report...

Previous Meetings

Oct. 28 in Air Canada Centre: Toronto Raptors 106, Indiana Pacers 99
      Dec. 14 in Bankers Life Fieldhouse: Indiana Pacers 106, Toronto Raptors 90
      March 17 in Bankers Life Fieldhouse: Toronto Raptors 101, Indiana Pacers 94
      April 8 in Air Canada Centre: Toronto Raptors 111, Indiana Pacers 98

Key Matchup: Kyle Lowry vs. George Hill

Though he got some well-deserved national attention at the beginning of the season, Kyle Lowry has fallen a bit off the radar despite maintaining his high level of play.

He should be a serious candidate for Most Improved Player, as well as someone who shows up on the tail end of a few MVP ballots. According to my total points added database (TPA, which is explained in full throughout this article), Lowry put together the NBA's No. 8 season during 2015-16, trailing only Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, LeBron James, James Harden, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard and Chris Paul.

George Hill has stopped his fair share of strong floor generals, but he'll have his work cut out for him in this clash.

X-Factor: Monta Ellis

The days of Monta Ellis thriving as an offensive stud are behind us. Playing under head coach Frank Vogel, his career-best defensive box plus/minus (0.9) exceeded his offensive box plus/minus (minus-0.6) for the first time in his NBA tenure.

But the 30-year-old shooting guard still has the ability to break out offensively, even if he shot just 42.7 percent from the field and 30.9 percent from beyond the arc this season. Should he turn back the clocks and relieve some of the offensive burden faced by Paul George, the Indiana Pacers could upset the Toronto Raptors.

Prediction

The Pacers aren't pushovers. Not with George leading the scoring charge and an underrated defensive frontcourt patrolling the paint.

However, Lowry has been the best player on either team in 2015-16—a fact that won't change during the postseason. He and DeMar DeRozan are clearly the better backcourt, and throwing DeMarre Carroll back into the mix should only aid the depth of this dangerous Raptors squad.

Toronto Raptors advance in six games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tseason/page/7
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

Not as elaborate but I asked John Schuhmann from NBA.com who he thought was going to win.

Comment

raps in 5. with a loss either the first game in toronto or the first game in indiana.

Comment

They better damn well beat the Pacers. I'm going to be on a beach somewhere for part of this series. I won't be watching ball there. *PVR set*

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
              Not as elaborate but I asked John Schuhmann from NBA.com who he thought was going to win.

The Six in 6!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                They better damn well beat the Pacers. I'm going to be on a beach somewhere for part of this series. I won't be watching ball there. *PVR set*
                Lucky you.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                  Lucky you.
                  I have to be honest with you though, when I realized that I was going to miss part of the playoffs I got this sinking feeling. That passed. haha

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                    The Six in 6!
                    Yeah, Raps in 6.
                    OG is our king

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      If you are going to Cabo, they should have the game at the resorts. I ended up watching the Raps game last year during vacation lol.

Comment

damn!

Comment

Working...
                        X