Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps TV Ratings - "Still struggling" or Finally competing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps TV Ratings - "Still struggling" or Finally competing?

There's a new NBA.com article headlined "Raptors ratings still struggling to compete with NHL, Jays", and I found the angle to be a weird one ... maybe I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy, but why not frame this as a success? Why not talk about the actual fanbase that is one of the best in the NBA? Pretty shitty if you ask me. I think this is a great accomplishment, and just shows how much the game is growing, and how much more it still can grow.

Despite getting more attention from Canadian TV viewers, the Toronto Raptors are still struggling to compete with hockey and baseball.

Canadian sports network Sportsnet says the Raptors' first-round Game 7 win over the Indiana Pacers had average audience of 1.53 million viewers Sunday night, making it the most-watched Raptors game ever in Canada.

Still, the NBA team was outdrawn by Saturday's NHL draft lottery, which pulled in an average of 1.57 million viewers.

Meanwhile, the network says the second round of the NHL playoff series between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Washington Capitals is averaging 1.5 million viewers, while a regular-season baseball game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday attracted an average of 1.1 million viewers.

Source
    Little bit disappointed in the NBA. Doesn't even attribute an Author, just NBA.com ... so there's that.

Joey wrote: View Post
    There's a new NBA.com article headlined "Raptors ratings still struggling to compete with NHL, Jays", and I found the angle to be a weird one ... maybe I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy, but why not frame this as a success? Why not talk about the actual fanbase that is one of the best in the NBA? Pretty shitty if you ask me. I think this is a great accomplishment, and just shows how much the game is growing, and how much more it still can grow.

Little bit disappointed in the NBA. Doesn't even attribute an Author, just NBA.com ... so there's that.
    Yeah, baseball is a lot bigger in the States than the NBA too, so this is a story how? And it's hockey - it's like comparing Finals ratings to Superbowl ratings in the US and writing that up as "NBA still struggling on national television."

The NHL draft lottery included every Canadian team, so it was predicted that would be a major TV event here. I wonder what ratings have been in other years.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      And it's hockey - it's like comparing Finals ratings to Superbowl ratings in the US and writing that up as "NBA still struggling on national television."
      This is a GREAT point. I knew it was ridiculous, but this just shows exactly how ridiculous it was of them to do. Well said.

Comment

Game 7 had bigger ratings than most hockey games these playoffs. That's a big accomplishment
        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

If anyone has Twitter, I would encourage them to write the NBA and let them know how Dumb their article is.. maybe they don't realize? Lol

Comment

The Jays thing is disappointing though. When a regular season game for the Jays is getting almost as many viewers as Game 7 for the Raps it really shows that it's not just behind the NHL.

Comment

I wonder how Memphis Grizzlies playoff games would compare to a NASCAR race, for example?

Just goes to show that anything can be spun anyway you want to.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                The Jays thing is disappointing though. When a regular season game for the Jays is getting almost as many viewers as Game 7 for the Raps it really shows that it's not just behind the NHL.
                The jays are bigger than hockey right now. And nobody over 40 in canada watches the nba.

Comment

Those ratings will no doubt continue to rise as the Raptors win more games.

Basketball is still a "new" sport outside of the GTA. It'll take more than a 1st round win to draw interest from the average TV viewer.

Let's hope we've got at least 4 more wins coming.

Comment

To be fair; it'd probably help if fans had access to watch all the games on one channel.
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

The Raptors can never do right. If they ever win a title the topic of discussion in America will be "Are the Toronto Raptors the worst championship team of all time?“

It's beyond me that for a league really wanting to expand globally that it and all those around it in the food chain like to beat down the Raptors at every turn. The only international team gets ignored mostly but when it does get noticed it's almost always bad press. It took 20 years to get the damn all star game. With this city... Are you kidding me?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        The Raptors can never do right. If they ever win a title the topic of discussion will be "Are the Toronto Raptors the worst championship team off all time?“
                        Hahahah Oh man ... its so funny because its soo true.

Comment

I agree. extremely dumb article, for the reasons that have been pointed out already in this thread.

Also this is a really weird article for the NBA to be putting on their own page, is it not? what's the agenda here?

Comment

Hahahah Oh man ... its so funny because its soo true.
                            And the posts around here would be like "anybody can win one championship this style isn't sustainable to win next year we're DOOMED! Better tank"

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                              To be fair; it'd probably help if fans had access to watch all the games on one channel.
                              I find it so difficult to find what channel the games usually on

Unlike NHL or baseball I can just scroll through and it'll be there. Ice curling is easier to find then the ball game

Comment

Working...
                              X