Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you trade Lowry for another top 10 pick in this draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't trade Lowry unless the deal is insanely good. Dude will help us be continue being a 50+ win team when DD leaves. There is a reason why he got MVP votes

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      I wouldn't trade Lowry unless the deal is insanely good. Dude will help us be continue being a 50+ win team when DD leaves. There is a reason why he got MVP votes
      While heart breaking to do so because 1b to VC as my favorite Rap all time, I would....

Because reality is Kyle is on the wrong side of 30 now and for the past 2 years his body hasn't been able to hold up through the Playoffs and that isn't a trend that is likely to improve. Right now he's coming off 2 years as an All-Star starter on a great contract (at least for this coming year), his value isn't likely to get any better than this and given his history of injuries and body type that naturally seems to carry more weight; I don't suspect it's going to be a pretty decline and really believe with in 2 years (next year and the following) Kyle is going to unfortunately be reduced to being a role player. I just don't see his body being able to sustain this level.

I really don't think there's going to be the level of deal as some are proposing (top 5 pick) especially when GMs are just as aware of these issues but of course with the Massaih who knows...still I think you pull the trigger if it is on the table unless you're damn sure you can get the necessary pieces to truly contend within the next 2 years. If not I do what POR should have done...think what they would have been had they cashed in on Wes Matthews, Batum and LMA. I think we face a similar predicament with DD, Carroll and Lowry just we might retain them all BUT they break down (DMC and Lowry), of course I'm praying I'm wrong about that and they can stay healthy....but let DeMar walk lol

Comment

• The wrong side of 30 is 34 or 35. He's still got 2-3 years of all-star caliber play in him in my opinion.

Guys like Payton, Cassell, and Billups were all-stars at the ages of 33 and 34. It's at 35 where you question if he can still play. I'd sign him back and then try to trade him later. Definitely wouldn't give up on him this soon.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          The wrong side of 30 is 34 or 35. He's still got 2-3 years of all-star caliber play in him in my opinion.

Guys like Payton, Cassell, and Billups were all-stars at the ages of 33 and 34. It's at 35 where you question if he can still play. I'd sign him back and then try to trade him later. Definitely wouldn't give up on him this soon.
          I agree but can you win a title with him as your best player in those 2-3 years?

We'll be capped out, so hard to envision adding significant players to raise that ceiling. JV could be more impactful, but it seems unlikely his role will increase any time soon.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
            ...and not bloody likely either if you think Carroll, PP and LAC pick in the 20+ gets you Durant.

Presti hangs up the phone before you can finish saying Patrick. BOS, LAL easily beat that and I'm sure almost 80% of league can and would offer a better package for a chance at KD. The NYK pick is a given and you're giving up a lot more if you really want OKC to orchestrate a trade for a top 3, soon to be top 2 player in the league.
            Well in that scenario Durant wants to sign with us and OKC doesn't want to lose him for nothing

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Comment

The wrong side of 30 is 34 or 35. He's still got 2-3 years of all-star caliber play in him in my opinion.

If he was under contract for those next 2-3 years, then I'd tend to agree. However, with only one more year left on his good value contract, you're suddenly looking at paying a 31-33 year old (2 & 3 years from now) Lowry significantly more money. I expect he'll be looking for a last, big pay day with his next contract.

It's the combination of age, health and contract status (and likely contract demands) that have me leaning towards trading him this offseason. If the Raptors wait to move him, he won't have near the value, for all the reasons mentioned and the fact that the team trading for him would be getting a rental player at best. Moving him this offseason would at least give his new team an entire season with him, so it's potentially a decision to maximize the value of what is currently a highly tradeable asset.

Comment

• No.

At least, that's what I want to say but if we have to max out Demar and then are unable to move him later ... we could end up regretting not moving Lowry. Lowry's going to get paid a lot of money on what will most likely be his last big payday and I'd honestly prefer it to be from us. He's play will still be worth the money into those years given his style but we're REALLY going to have to watch his minutes.

So, yeah, I'm still a no in this case.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  If he was under contract for those next 2-3 years, then I'd tend to agree. However, with only one more year left on his good value contract, you're suddenly looking at paying a 31-33 year old (2 & 3 years from now) Lowry significantly more money. I expect he'll be looking for a last, big pay day with his next contract.

It's the combination of age, health and contract status (and likely contract demands) that have me leaning towards trading him this offseason. If the Raptors wait to move him, he won't have near the value, for all the reasons mentioned and the fact that the team trading for him would be getting a rental player at best. Moving him this offseason would at least give his new team an entire season with him, so it's potentially a decision to maximize the value of what is currently a highly tradeable asset.
                  Lowry will definitely have value this summer.. but I don't see a replacement (CoJo is a backup, Wright is years away). So who plays PG next year, and are we ready to take a step back? Lowry has been pretty bad in the playoffs, but he's the only reason why we're here to begin with.

I'd like Lowry to stay next season and the season after. I'd be open to trading him after that. He'll be about 32 then. His contract will be higher but would still be moveable (there are always going to be bad teams looking for proven vets to help them in the regular season). And by then hopefully Wright or CoJo or player X will be ready to fill in to become our next PG. But without Lowry we're just another team trying to avoid the lottery.

Comment

• Would you trade Lowry for another top 10 pick in this draft?

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Lowry will definitely have value this summer.. but I don't see a replacement (CoJo is a backup, Wright is years away). So who plays PG next year, and are we ready to take a step back? Lowry has been pretty bad in the playoffs, but he's the only reason why we're here to begin with.

I'd like Lowry to stay next season and the season after. I'd be open to trading him after that. He'll be about 32 then. His contract will be higher but would still be moveable (there are always going to be bad teams looking for proven vets to help them in the regular season). And by then hopefully Wright or CoJo or player X will be ready to fill in to become our next PG. But without Lowry we're just another team trying to avoid the lottery.
                    Id be comfortable running CoJo and Wright for a season. Plus if we have two top 10 picks, we have more options coming in to really build around JV.

We could still make the playoffs with a proper coach and would be on the upswing as a team. We currently feel like we've plateaued already.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I think you have to try and move demar for a good return, maintain winning with Kyle until the deadline and move him to the highest bidder. By that time we still likely make the playoffs, and build on the youth getting the experience. This team to me was always about maximizing their value, then moving the pieces as the opportunities come along to grow assets until we finally reach the contender level.

Unless we can get kd in the summer, stick to the plan.

Comment

• A lot of people think mike Conley is getting $25 mill per year this offseason. He's 1 year younger than Lowry. With the cap increasing again in 2017, someone is going to offer Lowry big money. Keep your eye on that contract hard to picture Lowry taking less.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                          A lot of people think mike Conley is getting $25 mill per year this offseason. He's 1 year younger than Lowry. With the cap increasing again in 2017, someone is going to offer Lowry big money. Keep your eye on that contract hard to picture Lowry taking less.
                          difference is though, Lowry finishes next season at age 31 while Coney finishes it at 29 (he's born in October), so technically Conley is still under 30.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                            A lot of people think mike Conley is getting $25 mill per year this offseason. He's 1 year younger than Lowry. With the cap increasing again in 2017, someone is going to offer Lowry big money. Keep your eye on that contract hard to picture Lowry taking less.
                            peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                            difference is though, Lowry finishes next season at age 31 while Coney finishes it at 29 (he's born in October), so technically Conley is still under 30.
                            Yeah. And 4 years Conley finishes 32. 4 years of Lowry finishes 36

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

...but he's the only reason why we're here to begin with.
                              I dunno maybe we would have ended 7th and play 2nd place Heat - with a pg who does better than a record breaking worst playoff performance?

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                                I think the only thing that matters is: who is Kyle competing with on the market? If he passes that: secondly are there atleast two teams desperate for a PG?

Comment

Working...
                                X