Offseason Trade Proposal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    For me the trading of Ross for Young seems like a decent sideways move. We can argue black and blue about whether or not it raises our ceiling to true contention level. What it really does is fill a position of need with a proven NBA player, while sacrificing a player at a position in which we currently have too many players and not enough minutes to go around. We may not even have to replace Ross with another move, as Powell, Cojo, and Wright can fill the minutes Ross would demand. It may not significantly raise the ceiling of the team, but I think it would make us more competitive next season. Still, I wouldn't involve Patterson or the 9th pick, but that's me. And again, I would kick the tires on other players first, players I feel might require the 9th pick as well in order to acquire.
    I just feel like we have a clear need to get more 3 point shooters the way the league is going and after the way cleveland beat us. We already have too many players who play huge minutes and dont shoot threes. How many times did we see the ball swing around to someone for the perfect wide open 3 after great ball movement and they just dont take it cause they cant make it. We need more shooters. Giving up ross for young makes us worse in that area i think.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
      For me the trading of Ross for Young seems like a decent sideways move.
      Ross for Young isn't a sideways move: it's an upgrade, because - and this needs to be repeated as much as necessary - Young is a better player than Ross is. That's why the #9 pick is being discussed in this; Brooklyn doesn't do the deal without it. Sure, it would be better if Brooklyn agreed on Ross and #27 for Young (and I suspect Masai is pushing it hard because Brooklyn does not have a lot of natural trading partners to get into the draft at all).

But, realistically, #9 is fine if we keep #27, because the draft tiers this year are basically

- Simmons
      - Ingram
      - Murray/Hield/Dunn/Chriss/Bender/Brown
      - about thirty guys who will top out at "starter or rotational player"
      - the crap at the end

It's a top-heavy draft, and not a strong one either, and the difference between #27 and #9 is much smaller than it would normally be. This year is a year where it makes more sense than it usually would to trade #9 away if we keep #27.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
        I just feel like we have a clear need to get more 3 point shooters the way the league is going and after the way cleveland beat us.
        We shot .370 on threes this season, which was fifth-best in the league. Ross is a streaky shooter and a streaky defender; he's not going to move the needle that much. We can find a gunner to replace him as needed.

Comment

• I sincerely hope Masai isn't spending his time trying to figure out how to get Thad Young....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
            Ross for Young isn't a sideways move: it's an upgrade, because - and this needs to be repeated as much as necessary - Young is a better player than Ross is. That's why the #9 pick is being discussed in this; Brooklyn doesn't do the deal without it. Sure, it would be better if Brooklyn agreed on Ross and #27 for Young (and I suspect Masai is pushing it hard because Brooklyn does not have a lot of natural trading partners to get into the draft at all).

But, realistically, #9 is fine if we keep #27, because the draft tiers this year are basically

- Simmons
            - Ingram
            - Murray/Hield/Dunn/Chriss/Bender/Brown
            - about thirty guys who will top out at "starter or rotational player"
            - the crap at the end

It's a top-heavy draft, and not a strong one either, and the difference between #27 and #9 is much smaller than it would normally be. This year is a year where it makes more sense than it usually would to trade #9 away if we keep #27.

If they wanted #9 you'd have to throw Bojan IMO. Bojan makes up for the floor spacing that Ross brought.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Young beating the Raptors on both sides of the ball. Most of this is without having a play ran for him. I think Carroll and Young would be great glue guys around Lowry/DD/JV

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                I just feel like we have a clear need to get more 3 point shooters the way the league is going and after the way cleveland beat us. We already have too many players who play huge minutes and dont shoot threes. How many times did we see the ball swing around to someone for the perfect wide open 3 after great ball movement and they just dont take it cause they cant make it. We need more shooters. Giving up ross for young makes us worse in that area i think.
                Yeah, Gallo is another guy that I think can be had with a package around the 9th pick. Prefer Young because of Gallo's injury history and Young being the better defender.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, Gallo is another guy that I think can be had with a package around the 9th pick. Prefer Young because of Gallo's injury history and Young being the better defender.
                  Denver has like 3 first round picks, why would they want the 9 in this scenario?

Comment

• I've thought about Gallo too. He certainly can stretch the floor better than Thad, but he's also a higher usage player than Thad I believe, and I question his D. This is why all this is murky for me. Because I tend to feel that we need a strong and versatile defender at the 4 spot, one that has some floor stretching ability but doesn't demand high usage. I think we have sufficient ways to initiate the offence with Lowry, Demar and hopefully JV getting more opportunity. Millsap seems like a great idea, but would it be difficult to integrate him into the offence while getting JV more burn, even if Lowry and Demar's usage went down?

Ibaka seems like a great target. Lower usage player and great man and team defender. He's the better version of Amir and has decent range but isn't a true floor stretcher like Patterson or Gallo and doesn't have the offensive versatility of Young. And if we had to sacrifice Ross in some way to acquire Ibaka then we need to grab a 6th man type player, cause as good as Cojo and Patterson are, and Powell looks to be, they are not true 6th men (although Ross isn't either).

I did dream up a trade in which Young went to OKC and Ibaka to the Raps and BKN got a player or two and recouped picks, but hard to say what OKC has in mind and they may not make a move until KD's signed there or elsewhere. And any trade involving BKN is likely to involve picks as they obviously want in on the draft.

Comment

• Would you trade Terrence Ross for Amir Johnson?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                        Would you trade Terrence Ross for Amir Johnson?
                        Not at this point. I love Amir, he's one of my favorite Raptors ever, but he is breaking down fast.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                          Not at this point. I love Amir, he's one of my favorite Raptors ever, but he is breaking down fast.
                          Take it for what you want but Amir played in 79 games this year, started in 76, and average 22.8mpg... I think he'd be a fantastic backup big and would probably come far cheaper than Biyombo.

Comment

• No, you don't trade Ross for Amir.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Okay.

Would any of you do Ross + 27 for Marcus Morris?
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                                Okay.

Would any of you do Ross + 27 for Marcus Morris?
                                I would probably do that, but I don't think Detroit would.
                                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Working...
                                X