Biyombo as a starting PF - make the case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biyombo as a starting PF - make the case

I'm asking the republic to think outside the box a bit and make the case for Biyombo to start and be resigned

What would we have to do offensively?

Is it worth the tradeoff in order to have JV and Biyombo both protecting the rim?

I know the reasons it can't work.

What are some of the reasons it could.

What obtainable improvements would the team need to make around such a starting lineup given that it would be

Lowry/DeRozan/Carroll/Biyombo/JV/Joseph/Powell/Patterson playing the majority of the minutes

I agree we can't sign him to a 14m dollar deal as a backup...so what if he starts?
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

It reminds me of a 90s style team. We would own the paint and win the rebound battle every single night
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

He really has to get that midrange jumper down. As long as he cant be totally left alone it could work. I just feel like JV would be in a tough spot to produce more like we think he could. He would probably be doubled every time he got the ball, and Bis couldn't catch a big to big pass very often.

Comment

Not going to fly with Casey and the modern NBA in general. And it's more like 15-18 mill.

Comment

I think the lack of spacing would be scary particularly for this team which drives a ton. Only way I see this happening is if Biyombo suddenly gains the ability to hit mid range shots or JV turns into a stretch 5 lol

Comment

just will not work

Comment

Can't do it if DeMar is the starting 2.

With DeMar and JV, you need the other 3 guys to shoot. If DeMar isn't the answer, Biyombo at the 4 might be doable.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

ogi wrote: View Post
                I think the lack of spacing would be scary particularly for this team which drives a ton. Only way I see this happening is if Biyombo suddenly gains the ability to hit mid range shots or JV turns into a stretch 5 lol
                What if both happens? It's true that we have something special in Biyombo. Maybe even them really want to play together next year and they will shoot all summer long... Who knows?

This would certainly be amazing. I mean long term, Bismack would probably be a better signing, than say, Al Horford.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                  What if both happens? It's true that we have something special in Biyombo. Maybe even them really want to play together next year and they will shoot all summer long... Who knows?

This would certainly be amazing. I mean long term, Bismack would probably be a better signing, than say, Al Horford.
                  And to add (sorry cannot edit on the phone), Bismack has prove he can guard forwards. He was our best player guarding LeBron in the last series.

Comment

Still not a great idea. Bismack, DeMar and JV on the floor means that JV can't operate in the post, won't have the space to do it.

JV is insanely efficient in the post. You're taking away his most effective weapon so you can have Bismack on the floor?
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Hell of a thing to bet on happening though

Comment

It's very difficult to train someone to do something that they are not comfortable in doing. I love the kid, but I don't think BB is that smart. He'd get in JV's way and JV is the more dangerous post weapon.

But for this to work.. we need BB to be able to hit the 3. We need more than just a mid range game from him. We need a guy that can stretch the floor.

Comment

keep in mind that space can be created not just through shooting but solid screens. I wish I could draw up a play right now but basically you run a DeMar/JV pick and roll on the left side and have Biyombo screen off the ball for Lowry to hit his sweet spot on the right side from 3.

1.) If DeRozan shoots the midrange. JV and Biyombo are both crashing the boards
                          2.) If DeRozan passes to JV, you have a layup or if they help off Biyombo a dump off to Biz or a kickout to Lowry
                          3.) If DeRozan drives, two offensive rebounders
                          4.) If everyone sucks in open 3 for Kyle

in San Antonio neither Aldridge or Duncan can shoot 3s and they get the space they need off screens/cuts etc.

GRANTED Biz does not have the 20ft shot like Aldridge.

I think you can get open looks if you tailor the offense to what you have. Also Patterson is still gonna get his 36 minutes, so you can factor that into the rotation.

Comment

Randolph and Gasol is another example. Gasol and Bynum.

It seems to me that either JV or Biyombo need to be able to hit from 15 - 20 ft consistently.

Comment

another improvement would be that our wings can play a little tighter D knowing that BIZ and JV are locking down the paint

Comment

Working...
                              X