Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri End of Season Press Conference - Live Stream - 11am

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sounds like our #27 pick is as good as gone.

    He sounded like he is open to see whats at #9 but interested to see what he can get in a trade. Every other pick he doesn't see how he can fit them in with what we are doing.

    Comment


    • A.I wrote: View Post
      Doesn't hurt to take one more shot at it plus $50 million is a win-win situation. They still have a legitimate shot next season, they were up 3-1 and almost beat the Warriors. Maybe 1 or 2 minor tweaks and they'll be set next season.
      Keep in mind, Durant could sign a 1+1 deal with anyone who has the cap space and still be eligible for the supermax the following summer, he'd just need to find a team with cap space (which wouldn't be hard, cap is leaping again).

      The argument really shouldn't come down to the money. It's just about whether he wants to be in OKC.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

      Comment


      • Barolt wrote: View Post
        If anything, these playoffs have kinda been a referendum on the value of the 3-pointer. Us and OKC couldn't hit them. GSW and Cleveland could.
        Further to that truth, when Cleveland didn't hit them they were beatable and when they did, they weren't. Then again, I guess you could say that for us. Or better yet, i guess you could say that for most teams when you're talking about a (comparatively) lower percentage shot. If they go in, big returns, but if not...

        Comment


        • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          From what I've heard today from Masai it seem like he's going to go all in on KL/DD/JV.
          DanH wrote: View Post
          Not a terrible idea in my mind. Just need to tweak the system to serve all three players instead of just two. And find a PF upgrade (either short or long term).
          Which makes me wonder about Carroll. The only thing that MU mentioned about him is that he should be healthy next season - not exactly a ringing endorsement.

          I was highly skeptical of the Carroll signing, due to his age, contract amount, and my perception that he had one good season that was system-reliant. Given his injuries from this season, the success the Raptors had without him (Powell's emergence could be a factor), and the limited options MU has to upgrade the roster if DD is re-signed, one has to wonder if Carroll could be the odd man out.

          Joseph and Patterson provide valuable depth, and their salaries don't clear that much space.

          Ross could be trade fodder but, again, his salary doesn't really bring back a ton (either in trade or via cap space created).

          Carroll could open a lot of cap space to spend on a PF, or possibly even a second-tier PF and a raise for Biyombo.

          This is going to be a fun couple months!!!

          Comment


          • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Which makes me wonder about Carroll. The only thing that MU mentioned about him is that he should be healthy next season - not exactly a ringing endorsement.

            I was highly skeptical of the Carroll signing, due to his age, contract amount, and my perception that he had one good season that was system-reliant. Given his injuries from this season, the success the Raptors had without him (Powell's emergence could be a factor), and the limited options MU has to upgrade the roster if DD is re-signed, one has to wonder if Carroll could be the odd man out.

            Joseph and Patterson provide valuable depth, and their salaries don't clear that much space.

            Ross could be trade fodder but, again, his salary doesn't really bring back a ton (either in trade or via cap space created).

            Carroll could open a lot of cap space to spend on a PF, or possibly even a second-tier PF and a raise for Biyombo.

            This is going to be a fun couple months!!!
            I think Carroll would be pretty hard to trade at this point. I know he had his fair share of bidders last summer but that was off a really good season in Atlanta.

            Comment


            • tDotted wrote: View Post
              I think Carroll would be pretty hard to trade at this point. I know he had his fair share of bidders last summer but that was off a really good season in Atlanta.
              Yeah, the problem is moving Carroll now is probably selling low. Might even cost assets rather than return some. He's a better player than he appeared this year with the injuries. Better to make him work than sacrifice value moving him.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Which makes me wonder about Carroll. The only thing that MU mentioned about him is that he should be healthy next season - not exactly a ringing endorsement.

                I was highly skeptical of the Carroll signing, due to his age, contract amount, and my perception that he had one good season that was system-reliant. Given his injuries from this season, the success the Raptors had without him (Powell's emergence could be a factor), and the limited options MU has to upgrade the roster if DD is re-signed, one has to wonder if Carroll could be the odd man out.

                Joseph and Patterson provide valuable depth, and their salaries don't clear that much space.

                Ross could be trade fodder but, again, his salary doesn't really bring back a ton (either in trade or via cap space created).

                Carroll could open a lot of cap space to spend on a PF, or possibly even a second-tier PF and a raise for Biyombo.

                This is going to be a fun couple months!!!
                But didn't Masai mention needing a backup SF? The quote was "Maybe we figure out a backup three." Having a legitimate defender at that position is pretty important (as you can see by his defensive assignments - PG, Wade, J. Johnson and Lebron) and Powell is a little too small to fit in that role (so is DD, Ross and JJ is not dependable). Doesn't sound like Carroll is going anywhere unless we get a different player to fit his role and also a 2nd player to back him up.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

                Comment


                • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  From what I've heard today from Masai it seem like he's going to go all in on KL/DD/JV.
                  Mess wrote: View Post
                  But didn't Masai mention needing a backup SF? The quote was "Maybe we figure out a backup three." Having a legitimate defender at that position is pretty important (as you can see by his defensive assignments - PG, Wade, J. Johnson and Lebron) and Powell is a little too small to fit in that role (so is DD, Ross and JJ is not dependable). Doesn't sound like Carroll is going anywhere unless we get a different player to fit his role and also a 2nd player to back him up.
                  Good point, I did forget about that comment.

                  As has been the case all season, when discussing how to improve this offseason, something's got to give.

                  - even if Biyombo, Johnson, Thompson and Scola all leave, there isn't much cap space after re-signing DeRozan
                  - Lowry, DeRozan, Valanciunas, Carroll and Powell all seem to have MU's seal of approval
                  - Patterson and Joseph seem more valuable to this team than they would as trade bait
                  - Wright, Bruno and Bebe all have contracts too small to build a major deal around, even with the #9 and/or #27 and/or 2017 pick(s)
                  - Ross does seem to be the odd man out, but how much trade value does he have and how big an upgrade could he return (alone or with a pick or more)?
                  - MU doesn't seem enamored with the prospects available at #9, at least in terms of stepping into a starting role
                  - MU really doesn't seem overly interested in #27, unless perhaps the #9 pick gets traded first

                  How do you improve the team, including the starting PF spot, without changing more of the status quo than just Ross? That's the million dollar question, I suppose.

                  Comment


                  • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    Which makes me wonder about Carroll. The only thing that MU mentioned about him is that he should be healthy next season - not exactly a ringing endorsement.

                    I was highly skeptical of the Carroll signing, due to his age, contract amount, and my perception that he had one good season that was system-reliant. Given his injuries from this season, the success the Raptors had without him (Powell's emergence could be a factor), and the limited options MU has to upgrade the roster if DD is re-signed, one has to wonder if Carroll could be the odd man out.

                    Joseph and Patterson provide valuable depth, and their salaries don't clear that much space.

                    Ross could be trade fodder but, again, his salary doesn't really bring back a ton (either in trade or via cap space created).

                    Carroll could open a lot of cap space to spend on a PF, or possibly even a second-tier PF and a raise for Biyombo.

                    This is going to be a fun couple months!!!
                    Have to give Carroll a pass on this year.... Hurt all year long...
                    First the foot with the plantar fasciitis .
                    Then the knee he hurt .. he hurt more...and had to have surgery and pretty much lost the year right there.
                    He finally gets back and promptly hurts his wrist and elbow early in the playoffs.
                    If he didn't have bad luck this year he would have had none at all.
                    In my view ...Carroll comes back and plays for us next year and provides a lot more than he did this year. .

                    Ross has had more lives than a cat here.. but at some point you have to ask yourself would this team be appreciably poorer without him. Could Powell step in and step up so that the absence of Ross and his 3 point shooting would not be appreciably missed. Its a tough call. You don't want to bail on the guy the year he finally pieces it together. He is only 25 and he has an in demand skill in that when he is on he can hit the 3. Working against him is his inconsistency and that there is prohibitively lower cost option with some upside. The difference in cap is 4M between Ross and Carroll (Carroll@15 and Ross@11). Thats lots to you and me as we stand in front of the ATM for a hundred bucks but not material to the NBA.

                    Have to fix the 4 this year. Have to. If Ujiri can find a starting 4 and the price is Ross either as a trade chip or as cap dump with a draft pick to create space to get that PF I think TRoss moves on. We wish him the best and hope if he puts it together he doesn't haunt us to badly and for too long.

                    Waiting on Ross is like waiting on the bus around 2AM. You invested and waiting but wondering if its ever going to come.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue May 31st, 2016, 09:11 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Would there be a better back up 3 for this team than PJ Tucker? Id like to see LBJ try to push him around for 7 games.
                      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue May 31st, 2016, 10:47 PM.
                      @Chr1st1anL

                      Comment


                      • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Would there be a better back up 3 for this team than PJ Tucker? Id like to see LBJ try to push him around for 7 games.
                        tucker is totally what the team would want as well. basically carroll off the bench

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          Not a terrible idea in my mind. Just need to tweak the system to serve all three players instead of just two. And find a PF upgrade (either short or long term).
                          Yep

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X