X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were Masai...

If you were Masai…

I think the Raptors have 3 options this offseason:
    1) Bring back Derozan and add role players (replace Biz and Scola)
    2) Bring back Derozan and make a major trade (draft pick + maybe Ross)
    3) Don’t bring back Derozan and offer max contract to another player

For option 1:
    If the Raptors decide to go with this option, I think they will end up with the same result as this year, if not worst. Truth of the matter is, Lowry and Derozan pretty much reached their full potential and I’m not sure how much more the Raptors can upgrade their role players. If the Raptors stays status quo and just replace Scola and Biz, the team will not improve from last year.

For option 2:
    If the Raptors bring back Derozan, they will have limited cap to sign another key player. If the Raptors truly want to take the next step, they will need to make a major trade and improve their starting lineup. The biggest void is the PF position, players like Horford and Pau Gasol will definitely improve the team but they will need to give up assets. The Raptors do have a draft pick and I don’t think the Raptors need to get any younger. The most valuable piece is probably Ross; not only is he locked down for the next few years, but he can probably start at the SG position for many teams. Ideally the Raptors will take this route as I truly believe the Raptors are a key player away from reaching the NBA finals.

For option 3:
    If the Raptors don’t bring back Derozan, they can offer a max contract to another player. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how much better the Raptors will get if they replaced one all-star with another all-star and keep the rest of the team status quo. Let say the Raptors signs Horford to a max and starts Ross at SG, is this lineup really better than last season? This option will likely be the case if the Raptors don’t believe Derozan is a max player.

If you were Masai, what would you do?
    Re-sign DeRozan & use free agency to tweak the roster
    13.64%
    Re-sign DeRozan and use a trade to retool the roster
    63.64%
    Let DeRozan walk and use free agency to fill his shoes
    22.73%

Given the OP, I thought a poll might be appropriate... voila!

Comment

From a strictly basketball perspective, I think option 3 is by far the best. DD is not an efficient player and doesn't fit well with the type of team I believe the Raps are trying to become. If KD is out of the question, which I'm assuming he probably is, I'd sign a Horford type player and start Norm at the 2. I'd structure the offence around JV (yes, I know this isn't going to happen). I'd also give the other young guys a ton of run in the first half of the year (Joseph, Wright, Bebe, #9 etc.). Try to find out where they are in their development, what kinds of lineups work and which ones don't.

Base your decision at the trade deadline on what you've seen in the first half of the year. If Norm is really struggling with the load and it seems like you are a piece away from a potential title run, you can package a few of the young guys and picks for a bigger name at the 2. If the young guys have really surprised you, maybe you more or less stand pat and you let everyone grow with the hopes of peaking in a year or two.

With all of that being said, I'm not an NBA GM and I have no idea how much showing loyalty to DD would be worth to Lowry, as well as potential FA in the future. But from a basketball standpoint the choice is pretty clear to me.
      Last edited by livan33; Mon May 30, 2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Ross HAS to go. Norman Powell has a much larger impact on the game than Ross does and I imagine he'll be even better next season. Package Ross with Bebe and our late first and try to land Terrance Jones + Motiejunas/Capela

Comment

Number 3.

Let DD walk and start to build around JV. We have the assets and he's really coming into his own. Norman becomes the starting SG & Ross is his bench-mate unless we do ship him out to resign BB. If we don't, Bebe becomes the backup C and lets' hope he's ready for that role.

Let Scola, Johnson and Thompson all walk. Get a 4 on the market that can split minutes with Patt with the cash saved from not signing DD along with a backup 3 for Carroll who's mainly a defence-minded player.
          Axel wrote:
          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
          KeonClark wrote:
          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
          KeonClark wrote:
          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Jones, Motiejunas, Capela...can't be serious right?

They are definitely not the solution, adding more role players does not make this team any better.

Comment

Although I like JV, unfortunately in today's game...you can't build around a center. Especially a center that's not really even that dominate. 2 things I can guarantee; 1) he will never avg a double double and 2) he will never avg 20+ points per game.

Like I said, I like JV...but he can't be the best player on your team if you want a championship.

Comment

If you were Masai...

6GOD wrote: View Post
                Although I like JV, unfortunately in today's game...you can't build around a center. Especially a center that's not really even that dominate. 2 things I can guarantee; 1) he will never avg a double double and 2) he will never avg 20+ points per game.

Like I said, I like JV...but he can't be the best player on your team if you want a championship.
                Lol what?? This season he averaged career high 12 points 9 rebounds per game while playing even less minutes than he did last year.

Per 36 min he already exceeds averaging a double double.

And how the fuck is he gonna ever average 20+ points a game when he's only given an average of 9 SHOTS A GAME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jones, Motiejunas, Capela...can't be serious right?

They are definitely not the solution, adding more role players does not make this team any better.
                  DD is not someone you build around though. You bring in guys who can help those already here, and you bring in proven guys.

None of the guys you mentioned are guys I'd want at PF.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

You realize the point you just made right? More minutes doesn't mean more production. More shots doesn't mean more point.

Have you considered why he only average around 20 mins per game.
                    1) fatigue
                    2) foul trouble
                    3) lack of trust from the coach
                    4) liability on defence

Again...I like JV as a player, but definitely not the face of a franchise.

Comment

I agree DD is not a superstar. But adding a guy like Jones won't put a team over the top.

And not sure if the 3 guys you mentioned are "proven" guys.

Comment

You realize the point you just made right? More minutes doesn't mean more production. More shots doesn't mean more point.

Have you considered why he only average around 20 mins per game.
                        1) fatigue
                        2) foul trouble
                        3) lack of trust from the coach
                        4) liability on defence

Again...I like JV as a player, but definitely not the face of a franchise.
                        You want to provide any sort of evidence for 1, 2 and 4? Like his turnovers going up and his FG% going down in the 4th Q for fatigue? Or his foul rate limiting him? Or the team's defensive performance with him versus without him (with of course context taken into account)?
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                          Lol what?? This season he averaged career high 12 points 9 rebounds per game while playing even less minutes than he did last year.

Per 36 min he already exceeds averaging a double double.

And how the fuck is he gonna ever average 20+ points a game when he's only given an average of 9 SHOTS A GAME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Well that's easy. If he hits all those shots, and stretches out his game so two of those shots are threes, voila, 20 points. See, easy.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Only evidence you need is Dwane Casey...he's the one playing JV around 20 mins a game.

Basketball is all about matchups...unfortunately for JV, true centers are a rare breed.

Comment

Only evidence you need is Dwane Casey...he's the one playing JV around 20 mins a game.

Basketball is all about matchups...unfortunately for JV, true centers are a rare breed.
                              20 minutes? Where's that number from?
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                              X