Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should Raps roster be constructed to beat CAVS next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LJ2 wrote: View Post
    LeBron plays PF in the playoffs.
    Lebron is their best center power forward and point guard, but can't shoot. Lebron is a 4/1 playing 3, Thompson a 4 playing 5, kyrie is an undersized shooting guard.

They're a really messed up team, but any team with lbj and a couple guys who can shoot wins 60 and goes to the finals in the east
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
      We don't know what the Cav's roster will look like next season. If we are constructing a team to beat the Cav's of this year then I think we need someone with better size to defend LeBron (Carroll just not big enough and JJ just not smart enough), and better outside shooting.
      1. Keep in mind that Carroll had a slough of injuries during the playoffs. History suggests that he can play much better defense on LBJ.

2. I thought JJ played solid defense on LeBron when given the opportunity. Additionally, he was hitting threes when he was out there. Not sure why he didn't get more time when he appeared to be the only guy capable of slowing down LeBron's freight-train drives to the hoop.

Comment

Sign Lebron James.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
          1. Keep in mind that Carroll had a slough of injuries during the playoffs. History suggests that he can play much better defense on LBJ.

2. I thought JJ played solid defense on LeBron when given the opportunity. Additionally, he was hitting threes when he was out there. Not sure why he didn't get more time when he appeared to be the only guy capable of slowing down LeBron's freight-train drives to the hoop.
          Yeah, I was trying to take into account Carroll's injuries, but even dating back to the playoffs against Atlanta when Carroll was there, LBJ just has too much size and strength on him.

Comment

I have been thinking that if the Raps are looking to dethrone Cleveland, shouldn't they be looking to re-sign or replace JJ? They're going to be a team without a big wing defender again. Who do you go to after Carroll when defending LBJ?
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              I have been thinking that if the Raps are looking to dethrone Cleveland, shouldn't they be looking to re-sign or replace JJ? They're going to be a team without a big wing defender again. Who do you go to after Carroll when defending LBJ?
              I think they end up keeping JJ. And if they can't pull off a trade for a big upgrade right away, I'd bet they give him the max they can (6-8M per year) but get some non-guaranteed years in return, so he can be a trade chip at the next draft. Having both him and Ross and prospects available as salary ballast means you can easily take back 20-25M+ contracts.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                I think they end up keeping JJ. And if they can't pull off a trade for a big upgrade right away, I'd bet they give him the max they can (6-8M per year) but get some non-guaranteed years in return, so he can be a trade chip at the next draft. Having both him and Ross and prospects available as salary ballast means you can easily take back 20-25M+ contracts.
                Fully agree with this. Based on articles I've read, and the scenes I see on Open Gym, JJ has been a really good influence on the young guys on the team (Bruno, Bebe, Norm, Delon). I think he's finally realized he can impact this team without being "utilized" on the court. Additionally, he's pretty unique in terms of size and footwork. As mentioned by DanH, he's great salary ballast if we need it, and he provides great depth at wing and PF, should something go wrong mid-season or we need someone to battle with the Joe Johnsons/Justice Winslows/LeBrons/Stanley Johnson/Carmelo type guys in the league.

Comment

He's also got a black belt so he can call Bron a bitch and back it up. Sign partynextdoor as assistant global ambassador.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    July 1 is coming quickly . It looks likely that DD will be resigned. Biyombo status is still up in the air. Moving forward what is it going to take to have legitimate shot to beat CAVS next season? Short of signing KD as our starting PF(DanH can advise re cap problems) is there a way we could be built to beat CAVS next season? It looks likely that Kevin Love will be moved in offseason . Much of what happens in the next month will determine if we could be in the conversation or not.
                    Kevin Durant.

We're not beating the Cavs without a superstar player on our team.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

The only way the Raptors can beat the Cavs next year is if Lebron beats the Warriors this month thereby fulfilling his goal to bring Cleveland a championship, and then opts out and moves back to Miami.

But then we'll have the issue of trying to be the Heat in the ECF.

I've been saying this since about Game 3 of the ECF. As long as Lebron stays in the East, our realistic ceiling over the next 2-3 seasons is winning 3 games in the Eastern Conference Finals. We got to 2, and we're hoping to get to 3.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

I really think resigning JJ would be a good move. Put him as our backup 3/4. Masai wants a backup 3 and I think JJ is ready to give that to this team consistently. He is a very good small ball 4, and throwing him at lebron seemed somewhat successful in the playoffs. If we get Thad and resign JJ I would be pretty happy.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          Interesting concept esp if there are no feasible upgrades available now or this summer.
                          Say at trade deadline if Atl or OKC (or even Clipps) suck?
                          For a few mill (& we would still be under cap) -well worth it.
                          (sort of something Bos did with Amir -no offence, but Amir is not a 12 mill player).

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            The only way the Raptors can beat the Cavs next year is if Lebron beats the Warriors this month thereby fulfilling his goal to bring Cleveland a championship, and then opts out and moves back to Miami.

But then we'll have the issue of trying to be the Heat in the ECF.

I've been saying this since about Game 3 of the ECF. As long as Lebron stays in the East, our realistic ceiling over the next 2-3 seasons is winning 3 games in the Eastern Conference Finals. We got to 2, and we're hoping to get to 3.
                            I'd love to agree with you, but we would both be wrong.
                            Yes, Lebron is a great player, but:
                            -We won 2 games with Scola
                            -Way less than 100% Carroll
                            -So-so Kyle & DD;
                            -Injured JVal
                            Unless Cavs win next 2 & Love goes for 20 & 15 -He is gone. Usually when you make a panic move like that -you don't get better;
                            -Lefake is getting older & heavy minutes 7 yrs in a row have to take a toll EVENTUALLY;
                            -TT is their only big (OK maybe Frye too) -Lots of pressure in a long season (I's assuming they loose Mozgov);
                            -Basically only chance of getting better -another guy like Jefferson taking Vets minimum;
                            -And lastly: Now we have experience of going deeper in playoffs.

Comment

We should be constructed so that we can beat any team.

Remember the Chicago Bulls? We haven't beat them since December 31st, 2013.

Assuming they don't make any major trades this offseason, what if we were to face them in the first round next year?

Comment

suspenders wrote: View Post
                                We should be constructed so that we can beat any team.

Remember the Chicago Bulls? We haven't beat them since December 31st, 2013.

Assuming they don't make any major trades this offseason, what if we were to face them in the first round next year?
                                We would beat them. Regular season record against a team means nothing.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X