No announcement yet.

Do we still have trust in Masai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of funny, in the pre draft interviews Masai emphasized that there really weren't immediate impact guys in the draft and talked a bit about possitionless basketball. He then went to draft two of most nba ready guys available at each pick, who have pretty clear positions. You could argue that either could play center or power forward, but they are clearly bigs, not all that versitile as they thrived close to the basket in college.

Comment

Kind of hard to judge a draft after one day. So of course I still trust Masai.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Of course I still trust Masai but that doesn't mean my confidence wasn't a little shaken.

Poeltl isn't the potential star some were hoping for when we spent all year watching the Knicks lose but he's a very solid NBA player at least.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          If players drafted after Poeltl end up better than him, then yeah
          Kawhi has ended up better than JV. Probably Butler as well.

You may think that makes JV the wrong pick, or a bad pick. I don't.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            Kawhi has ended up better than JV. Probably Butler as well.

You may think that makes JV the wrong pick, or a bad pick. I don't.
            Nah thats different. JV under Spurs is different player.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Kind of hard to judge a draft after one day. So of course I still trust Masai.
              Some people are big believers in premature judgement with limited information.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I'm not a scout or a coach. I never was either of those. I wasn't at the workouts or the meetings. I wasn't in the war room on draft night. They drafted a guy I was against but who am I to freak out and call this a bust right now? What am I basing it on? Online scouting reports and the fact that American media didn't give the Raptors much attention? When do they ever give attention or props to We The Other? Fact is no one is saying bad things about Poeltl for the most part. On the contrary, its mostly good. From any analytics standpoint he was 3rd in the draft overall as per ESPN.com.

They just went to the ECF and the only reason they had the pick was because of him. Do I trust him? Yes. Because I'm not going to overreact every time he looks north, south, east, west or farts.

Comment

I will say that while I still trust Masai, he is still perfectly capable of making mistakes. Far too early to judge this though.

If Poeltl is a mistake, it will be because of playing it safe and passing on a higher risk/reward player. Poeltl will not be a bust but might never be worth #9 either.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Depends on what you consider a mistake. If you're aching to shit on Ujiri you could slam him for not getting Draymond Green. The draft is a crap shoot and this one in particular as per the list of mystery men who went shortly after Poeltl.

Of course he's capable of mistakes but my definition of a mistake here is Poeltl busts. As in he can't be a rotation guy and he isn't good enough to start ever in his career. I don't think that happens here

One more thing: Bargnani for Poeltl, do you do it knowing nothing else? Thought so.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
                      I have to say this was a disappointing draft for us ... ESPN radio is raving about Sabonis and how he can be an 11 and 7 guy right now. They are the Davis the steal of the draft !!!
                      Our #9 picks has bust written all over him.

How disappointing was this ??
                      Disappointing that your 20 minutes of YouTube clips doesn't align with the plethora of intel at Masai's disposal?

Comment

Do we still have trust in Masai ??

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Depends on what you consider a mistake. If you're aching to shit on Ujiri you could slam him for not getting Draymond Green. The draft is a crap shoot and this one in particular as per the list of mystery men who went shortly after Poeltl.

Of course he's capable of mistakes but my definition of a mistake here is Poeltl busts. As in he can't be a rotation guy and he isn't good enough to start ever in his career. I don't think that happens here

One more thing: Bargnani for Poeltl, do you do it knowing nothing else? Thought so.
                        A mistake would be passing on a player that develops to be exactly what we needed - either a starting PF or more shooting on the wing. Poeltl has questionable opportunity here if he's a pure C, so he might never start here no matter what because JV is still the superior player and prospect.

Many posters here are quite aggressive towards anyone who casts doubt onto Masai. I just think it's important to remember that he can still make mistakes and have our trust. No GM is perfect.

Edit to add my post from last night:

Axel wrote: View Post
                        At least one bright side, the guy is better than Bargnani.
                        That said, the time has come to gauge the value against the opportunity instead of Bargnani. Every player in this draft could be better and Bargnani and this could still be a mistake. Two separate issues now.
                        Last edited by Axel; Fri Jun 24, 2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Right now, I think we just go a little smaller. Carroll's fine at 4, his quicks have slowed anyway, and Powell can guard 2/3 and shoot it. Poeltl gets Biyombo's mins. You've got 3 guards, 3 wings, 3 bigs. Ross is probably traded.

Guards = Lowry, DD, Joseph, Wright
                          Wings = Carroll, Powell, Ross, Bruno
                          Bigs = Val, Poeltl, Patterson, Siakam, Bebe

1. Lowry
                          2. DD
                          3. Powell
                          4. Carroll
                          5. Val
                          -------------
                          6. Joseph
                          7. Patterson
                          8. Ross
                          9. Poeltl
                          -----------------
                          10. Wright
                          11. Bebe
                          12. Bruno
                          13. Siakam
                          14. ???
                          15. ???

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            I'm not a scout or a coach. I never was either of those. I wasn't at the workouts or the meetings. I wasn't in the war room on draft night. They drafted a guy I was against but who am I to freak out and call this a bust right now? What am I basing it on? Online scouting reports and the fact that American media didn't give the Raptors much attention? When do they ever give attention or props to We The Other? Fact is no one is saying bad things about Poeltl for the most part. On the contrary, its mostly good. From any analytics standpoint he was 3rd in the draft overall as per ESPN.com.

They just went to the ECF and the only reason they had the pick was because of him. Do I trust him? Yes. Because I'm not going to overreact every time he looks north, south, east, west or farts.
                            Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, the Raps drafted the best available player ON HOUSE MONEY (AS IN WE STOLE THIS FROM NEW YORK WHO THEMSELVES WOULD LOVE A SMART PASSING CENTRE). We are always afraid of what we don't know. But if analytics matter (and it does), JP would be least likely to bust. Poeltl will be our BIZARRO BARGANI!!!

PS> How would people feel if we drafted Thon Maker at 9?
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

If you think you trusted Masai, but have to question it when he makes a decision that's not the one you would've made...

You didn't trust Masai, you agreed with him.
                              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
                                If you think you trusted Masai, but have to question it when he makes a decision that's not the one you would've made...

You didn't trust Masai, you agreed with him.
                                Bullshit. It's called having an opinion. You can still trust the man without agreeing with 100% of his decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X