Legacy League Match #1 - Apollo vs 007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy League Match #1 - Apollo vs 007

The legacy league was created to pit teams drafted by fellow RR members against each other and allow the general RR populous to vote on who would win this winner take all, single elimination game if all players were at their peak performance.

Each team drafted a 10 man roster. Each team provided a gameplan justification as to why they believe they should get your vote. Each team is allowed 1 post for "in game adjustments." The role of RR community is simple, vote for who you believe should win. Post justification if you want (encouraged) and weigh the pros and cons for all to see, but ultimately, your vote decides who will win this tournament of legends.

007 vs Apollo

APOLLO STARTING LINEUP

PG - Steph Curry, 3x All-Star, 2x MVP
    (2015-16 GSW Season: 30.1 PPG, 4.6 REB, 6.7 AST, 2.1 STL, 31.5 PER)

SG - Mitch Richmond, 6x All-Star, ROY, HOF
    (1996-97 SAC Season: 25.9 PPG, 3.9 REB, 4.2 AST, 1.5 STL, 21.6 PER)

SF - Rick Barry, 12x All-Star, Finals MVP, ROY, HOF
    (1974-75 GSW Season: 30.6 PPG, 4.6 REB, 6.2 AST, 2.9 STL, 23.5 PER)

PF - Karl Malone, 14x All-Star, 2x MVP, HOF
    (1989-90 UTA Season: 31.0 PPG, 11.1 REB, 2.8 AST, 1.5 STL, 0.6 BLK, 27.2 PER)

C - Shaquille O'Neal, 15x All-Star, 1x MVP, 3x Finals MVP, ROY, HOF
    (1999-00 LAL Season: 29.7 PPG, 13.6 REB, 3.8 AST, 0.5 STL, 3.0 BLK, 30.6 PER)

6 - Dominique Wilkins, 9x All-Star, HOF
    (1985-86 ATL Season: 30.3 PPG, 7.9 REB, 2.6 AST, 1.8 STL, 0.6 BLK, 23.3 PER)

7 - DeMarcus Cousins, 2x NBA All-Star
    (2015-16 SAC Season: 26.9 PPG, 11.5 REB, 3.3 AST, 1.6 STL, 1.4 BLK, 23.6 PER)

8 - Tony Parker, 5x All-Star, Finals MVP
    (2008-09 SAS Season: 22.0 PPG, 3.1 REB, 6.9 AST, 0.9 STL, 23.4 PER)

9 - Klay Thompson, 2x All-Star
    (2015-16 GSW Season: 22.1 PPG, 3.8 REB, 2.1 AST, 0.8 STL, 18.6 PER)

10 - LaMarcus Aldridge, 5x All-Star
    (2013-14 POR Season: 23.2 PPG, 11.1 REB, 2.6 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.0 BLK, 21.8 PER)

Defense

We’ll go man to man. 007 is undersized in the paint, giving up strength and mass. They’re aren't threat to stretch our defense. We’ll clog the paint, making it difficult for Jason Kidd, who is an unreliable shooter. They’ll attempt to utilize a lot of pick and roll. Our perimeter players are intelligent and fast enough to overcome. Steph, Mitch and Rick are great at pick pocketing and will be hunting for turnovers.

Offense
    Steph, Mitch and Rick will look to for easy points on turn overs. Steph and Rick will share play making duties. We’ll look to slow the pace down, running mostly half court, utilizing Shaq’s dominate post presence. Mailman as well is outstanding in the post as well as face up, a perfect complement to Shaq. The perimeter guys are all marksmen who know how to penetrate and pass. The dominate inside out game will punish 007, forcing him to pick his poison.

007 STARTING LINEUP

PG: Jason Kidd – 6 time All-NBA, 9 time All-Defensive team. 5 time assists leader. Only player in NBA history with 15,000 points, 10,000 assists and 7,000 rebounds

SG: Chauncey Billups – 3 time All-NBA, 2 time All-Defensive team. NBA Finals MVP, over 42% 3PT shooter at his peak

SF: Scottie Pippen – 7 time All-NBA, 10 time All-Defensive team. NBA steals leader, one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time

PF: Dennis Rodman – 2 time All-NBA, 2 time DPOY, 8 time All-Defensive team. 7 time rebounding champion, one of the greatest rebounders and defenders of all time

C: Wilt Chamberlain – 4 time MVP, 10 time All-NBA. 7 time scoring champion and 11 time rebounding champion. 100 point game. One of the greatest players of all time

BENCH:

Bob Cousy – MVP, 12 time All-NBA. 8 time assists leader, 6 time champion

Jeff Hornacek – 2 time 3PT contest winner, 44% 3PT shooter at his peak

Bernard King – 4 time All-NBA, NBA scoring champion

Elvin Hayes – 6 time All-NBA, 2 time All-Defensive team. 2 time rebounding champion and NBA scoring champion (as a rookie)

Robert Parish – 2 time All-NBA, 4 time champion. NBA all-time leader in games played

GAMEPLAN

The obvious weakness for Apollo is point guard. Curry will not be able to guard Kidd or Cousy, and Parker isn’t a standout defender either. Both my guards will slice through and use their incredible passing to create good shots. Wilt will be the go-to weapon, as arguably the most unstoppable force in NBA history. Billups and Pippen can space the floor while we use the Kidd-Chamberlain pick-and-roll and Rodman crashes the glass like a madman. Cousy means there will always be an incredible playmaker on the floor, and the bench brings firepower. Defensively Pippen and Rodman can cover any position on the floor while Chamberlain patrols the paint. Kidd and Billups should be enough to cover Curry and Thompson, but if not Pippen can lock down either one, while Rodman does the same to any big man. And good luck out-rebounding this team.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

In Game Adjustments!

Apollo's Adjustment: 007 greatly underestimated Barry, one of the greatest point forwards of all time. He moves to SG because he’s fast and skilled enough for it. Nique enters to provide explosive penetration into the paint. Curry is not a liability against Kidd because Kidd can’t shoot and won’t find room inside.

And 1:

007's Adjustment:

Size is not an issue with Wilt's offensive ability and having two of the greatest offensive rebounders ever in the frontcourt. Wilt is also arguably the most athletic man on the floor, fast break will be unstoppable. Pippen and Rodman can both neutralize Barry or any other perimeter player.

And if you want to play the quotes game:

So RR faithful, who wins this game?
    Apollo
    76.47%
    23.53%

The poll is expired.

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Two radically different teams. Reading through I was sure I was voting for Apollo's team until I saw 007's, very similar to my team last year. Really interesting matchup, definitely need to see the adjustments.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm saying Apollo mostly bc Richmond was my go-to in NBA jam back in the day.
      Anybody got pistol Pete? All time fav.

Comment

Adjustments submission

Adjustment: 007 greatly underestimated Barry, one of the greatest point forwards of all time. He moves to SG because he’s fast and skilled enough for it. Nique enters to provide explosive penetration into the paint. Curry is not a liability against Kidd because Kidd can’t shoot and won’t find room inside.
        (50 words)

Comment

Leaning towards Apollo here, but let's see what 007 has to say. Bonus points to Apollo for the amazing pic.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I vote Apollo. Don't need to see Bond's adjustments here. He has no 3pt shooting other than Hornacek. The Cooz never played in the 3pt line era.. can't assume he'd be any good from out there. Hornacek was a fine player but the splash brothers are otherworldly.

Only negative is that we've seen Malone and Shaq together (noting that Malone wasn't in his prime) and they lost pretty handily to the Pistons. Rodman could every easily get inside of Malone's head if he wanted to. Wilt is a tough matchup.. but Shaq is also not the easiest for Wilt either. Considering the front courts a wash.

Comment

In game adjustments:

Size is not an issue with Wilt's offensive ability and having two of the greatest offensive rebounders ever in the frontcourt. Wilt is also arguably the most athletic man on the floor, fast break will be unstoppable. Pippen and Rodman can both neutralize Barry or any other perimeter player.

And if you want to play the quotes game:

The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I vote 007. 3pt shooting is overrated when you have a scoring machine like wilt.

Comment

Apollo, that team has it all.
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

well, i'm not a fan of Barry at SG.

Not that i'm super knowledgeable about 1970s, i've only seen a few games from that Barry championship run.

I didn't see any ABA games, when Barry supposedly was much more athletic. But he also supposedly played no defense back then.

In 1975 playoff games, I liked his effort on defense, but he's not an exceptional quick athlete, he's a Larry Bird prototype.

Anyway, I'll vote for Apollo here, I simply like those players better. I like Shaq more than Wilt, I like Malone much more than Rodman, I like Steph more than Kidd and Barry more than Pippen. I think 007 has a good team, just Apollo has this crazy collection of talents who also seem to fit pretty well. I think basically we fucked up letting Apollo collect this team and he'll destroy us all, not sure how that happened.

Comment

Legacy League Match #1 - Apollo vs 007

I find this one very hard.

I think Kidd could kill Steph in the post (one of the last PG to consistently use that weapon) but that Kidd would struggle to chase Steph off screens all day.

I think the wing position goes to 007, as Pippen can shut down anyone and is a tough cover for Apollo.

Rodman vs Malone is a physical tough battle where both guys likely pick up Ts. Malone is a gifted scorer but how well does he work off-ball next to a post guy like Shaq. Not great spacing with that pairing but LMA and Cousins both provide better spacing off the bench.

Wilt vs Shaq is so hard. Both guys were the most physically dominant players of their eras. Wilt is more athletic but Shaq is probably stronger. With front court spacing as an issue, Rodman could help limit Shaq's options in the post.

007 went mostly old school off the bench, so perimeter shooting is a question especially with Kidd at PG. Love Apollo's bench and think it has great fit as a pure unit for stretches.

Vote is still up in the air. Will have to sleep on it I think.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

This is an odd match-up as it seems to come down to perimeter D. That gives Apollo the edge, but then again Cousy is a very effective player & his shooting is better than most players of his era. If Kidd struggled, The Cooz could stop Curry.

I do think that if 007 was to go small here, he'd win. But nowhere in his adjustments does he do so. Congrats Apollo, you got my vote slightly.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

When I saw the team Apollo was building I was thinking how the hell is anyone gonna beat that? But this is a tougher call then I expected. 007 has got some serious defense going on there, which is what you need to beat a team with Apollo's firepower. I give the edge to Shaq over Wilt, and maybe that's just my appreciation of Shaq's game and ignorance of Wilt's. Apollo also has the edge in 3pt shooting as well as one of the best PnR PF's ever, who'll work well with Curry and Parker. The Pippen/Rodman defense might be the X-factor for 007, but Apollo has got so much to throw at them with Barry, Wilkens, Malone and Aldridge. There is enough there that the threat of them could allow Apollo to play offence away from those two if necessary, thus minimizing their defensive impact. And, unfortunately for 007, I find it difficult to judge what Cousy, Hayes, King and even Wilt could do, considering I've never seen them play. Hard to imagine the capabilities of some of the older players despite the accolades and accomplishments. Ultimately I think Apollo has too many PnR and post up options for 007's defense to handle, and 007's lack of outside shooting will allow Apollo to shrink the floor and make it difficult for 007's team to score.

Edge to Apollo.

Comment

Vote for Apollo.

007's team won't survive with that kind of shooting and I think Shaq could man handle Wilt.

Comment

Apollo you got my vote. I honestly think shaq would dominate wilt. Russell proved that Wilt was selfish.

Comment

Working...
                              X