Is big men dead in the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is big men dead in the NBA?

Or is Toronto not capable of running a set for a big man? I wonder if shaq would get touches in this era cause this is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I think the rumoured demise of the "big man" in the NBA is vastly overblown.

In a copycat league everyone wants to be the Warriors.. trouble is .. there is but one Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson backcourt.

AND

Even with those two guys who epitomize small ball... the Cavs proved that the Warriors are very human and they can be had, They did it by fielding a bigger more physical team. It helps that you have Lebron but when you get past that you can see that Big Man basketball which is predicated on having a bigger physical presence still has a place in the league.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
      Or is Toronto not capable of running a set for a big man? I wonder if shaq would get touches in this era cause this is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I don't get it either. Nobody is running sets for their low post bigs it's not just toronto. A 2 pointer at 60% efficiency is still the most effective play...It's almost like the nba has mandated a guard league cause it's more exciting that's the best I can come up with lol

Someone provide me a list of low post bigs that are still a big part of the offense? Ad and towns don count cause they're mobile.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Zach Randolph still carried a usage around 25% last few seasons.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Based on the NBA's synergy stats, there are a lot of players who still carry 25%+ post usage (more than a quarter of their own offensive plays) and finish more than 4 plays a game from the post.

Brook Lopez, Aldridge, Monroe, Drummond, Randolph, Dirk, Marc Gasol, Vucevic, Okafor, Dwight...

JV is close, as he finishes 3.3 post-ups per game, 27% of his finishes.

Most guys above are between 4-6 post-ups per game. Gasol is a standout at 7.2.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The one thing I will not miss from last year's team is the Scola post-up. By years end there only seemed to be 3 outcomes - a brick, a block or a turnover.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I think the only way you really beat a team like GSW is by going big with good all around big men. Jonas is good.. .if he can have a buddy (Poetl/Sully hopefully) step up. You pound them inside and wear them out. You do this and you have a chance.

Big men hasn't died. It is just hard to find big men that are super skilled like SHAQ or Kareem. Jonas is up there but not quite there yet. If he can add the midrange consistently and just become a little bit more fluid with his footwork then yeah. We were in it for both games this past year.. we were honestly robbed with both games in my opinion.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                I think the only way you really beat a team like GSW is by going big with good all around big men. Jonas is good.. .if he can have a buddy (Poetl/Sully hopefully) step up. You pound them inside and wear them out. You do this and you have a chance.

Big men hasn't died. It is just hard to find big men that are super skilled like SHAQ or Kareem. Jonas is up there but not quite there yet. If he can add the midrange consistently and just become a little bit more fluid with his footwork then yeah. We were in it for both games this past year.. we were honestly robbed with both games in my opinion.
                But how do you beat the Cavs?

Comment

Are there lots of good-great bigs in the NBA? Absolutely.

Are they getting tons of usage on the low block. Absolutely not.

Do bigs have to score on the low block to provide massive production & value? No.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

There has been a shortage of truly skilled back to the basket big men coming out of the draft in recent years...
                    BUT !!
                    Now.. there is
                    Karl Anthony Towns. I am so glad he is in the west.
                    Boogie Cousins who has had his career wasted in the gong show that is Excremento is a supremely talented Big Man.
                    The promise of Joel Embiid and his side kick Jahil Okafor in Philly who are in the East and will make their marks.
                    Marc Gasol in Memphis.
                    Hassan Whiteside for his defense in Miami.

GSW signing KD has the NBA cognoscenti in full regale.. but ....KD is a tall guy on a smallish frame. Don't be completely surprised if GSW gets out physicalled next year when it matters yet again.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

No but grammar is.

Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        I don't get it either. Nobody is running sets for their low post bigs it's not just toronto. A 2 pointer at 60% efficiency is still the most effective play...It's almost like the nba has mandated a guard league cause it's more exciting that's the best I can come up with lol

Someone provide me a list of low post bigs that are still a big part of the offense? Ad and towns don count cause they're mobile.
                        What am I missing? 60% efficiency would be 1.2 pts/possession. I only see 5 players who did that - Gerald Green, KD, Lance Thomas, CP3, and Omri Casspi. And the 4 other than KD only had a combined 75 post-ups (KD had 149).

Markieff was pretty well 50th percentile scoring and that was with 42% efficiency.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          What am I missing? 60% efficiency would be 1.2 pts/possession. I only see 5 players who did that - Gerald Green, KD, Lance Thomas, CP3, and Omri Casspi. And the 4 other than KD only had a combined 75 post-ups (KD had 149).

Markieff was pretty well 50th percentile scoring and that was with 42% efficiency.
                          Here's the question - where are you getting 60% FG% in the post from? It's not an achievable number.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

No.

Next question.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

No.

Next question.
                              Is big rapper dead in vegas?
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X