Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Plan Moving Forward? All-Star PF in 2017?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Plan Moving Forward? All-Star PF in 2017?

Hi All! I think Masai was trying to acquire that All-Star PF this summer but just had too much restrictions to do so. However, looking at their roster situation I can't help but think Masai is setting up for big things next summer! With Patterson and Sully's contracts up that should clear up about 12 mil. If he trades Ross for picks that's another 11 mil, throw in some smaller salaries and it seems like the Raptors can throw max money at someone. I still think the plan will be to resign Lowry, but with the rising cap and the fact he will be 31, I wonder if he takes something like 18-20 mil per? If so, that would basically just suck up the difference we will gain with the cap going up(I think I read it will go up to around 104 mil next year?). If these facts are correct(and if not please correct me). Could our team look like this going forward:

PG: Lowry, Cojo, Delon
    SG: DD, Powell, (Cojo or Delon)
    SF: Carroll, Bruno, (Powell)
    PF: (Griffin, Ibaka, Millsap, or Galinari), Siakam, (Bruno, Carroll)
    C: JV, Poetl, (Siakam)

That's relying on alot of young guys on the bench but if they show development maybe it's not so crazy. Also if Masai can pull something like this off I'm sure we can add some good players for cheap. It's also pretty crazy that there seems to be 4 impact PF all likely to be available right when we need one.

Thoughts? Is there something I am missing or could this possibly be the plan?
    Last edited by Carlg; Sat Jul 16, 2016, 01:00 PM.

Galinari would look really good in the current Raptor team. He has the ability to stretch the floor and can play nice along side of JV.

I really think MU should not even wait for 2017 and try to trade Ross and parts for Gali this year.

Comment

CoJo and Ross for Gali works in Trade machine. Simple and Easy for both team and where they are ...

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
        Galinari would look really good in the current Raptor team. He has the ability to stretch the floor and can play nice along side of JV.

I really think MU should not even wait for 2017 and try to trade Ross and parts for Gali this year.
        I agree with the first part. However losing valuable assets for a guy who may bolt in season end is never a good idea unless you are a serious contender and Denver will ask for much more then Ross and parts.

Also Gali has had very serious injuries over the years and one has to wonder how long he can keep his play up.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
          CoJo and Ross for Gali works in Trade machine. Simple and Easy for both team and where they are ...
          Denver already has Mudiay, jameer nelson, Gary harris, will barton, and jamal murray

Comment

Sam17 wrote: View Post
            Denver already has Mudiay, jameer nelson, Gary harris, will barton, and jamal murray
            those were my thoughts I think they have the patience to let these guys grow.

Comment

I think waiting a year will also help make decisions about Lowry, and another year to evaluate Cojo and Delon(as well as to see how fast the young guys come along). I think we should be about the same as last year talent wise, and hopefully with better health have similar success to then. In the offseason we can then decide if it might just be best to move forward with our young PGs(although I don't see CoJo as a starter ever imho). If that is the case then you have a lot more to work with and maybe you bring in two impact pieces that are a little younger instead of reupping an aging PG.

Comment

I mean I hate to be a cynic but we've heard similar things for the past two summers. "Masai is setting up pieces to do something big next summer"...
                That was much of the rationale for the Ross extension.

It's possible for sure, but what's possible tends to meet a more difficult reality when summer comes. The guys you listed:
                Griffin is probably a permanent Clipper
                Orlando just traded the farm for Ibaka and will do everything to re-sign him
                Millsap will be probably cost more than we can offer (again)
                Gallinari is a centrepiece for Denver

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  I mean I hate to be a cynic but we've heard similar things for the past two summers. "Masai is setting up pieces to do something big next summer"...

It's possible for sure, but what's possible tends to meet a more difficult reality when summer comes. The guys you listed:
                  And just to add to this, on top of beating out competing offers, if the player himself demands the trade they often have a list of destinations. We're definitely higher up the ladder than we were 3-4 years ago, but we still might not be the first choice for a lot of guys.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Until Ibaka signs with Orlando (I believe they own his bird rights) in theory it's possible for us to sign him as a free agent so not giving up assets in return but shedding salaries to be able to fit him.

Capoligists: what salaries would make the most sense to move? Would it be possible to sign him first and then go significantly over the cap to resign Lowry?

Wonder if him and Lowry would take a little less to make it happen if need be.

But if Orlando were going to lose him for nothing anyway, perhaps it could make sense To send them a package by the deadline (so we'd have him for playoffs). Because we'd have to part with some assets anyway in the offseason to fit him under the cap. Who would have to go by the deadline to make it work?

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

In hindsight the Ross extension wasn't bad. Based on the contracts I've seen
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Just an FYI. We have zero cap space next off season unless we get rid of Lowry's and 2pat's cap holds completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's say we want to offer 18M+.

If we want to keep Lowry, that means losing:

Patterson's rights
                          Sullinger's non-Bird rights
                          Ross
                          CoJo
                          BeBe
                          Wright
                          Bruno
                          Both 1st rounders in 2017
                          De Colo's rights

If you want to offer 25M+ (which is still short of the max), at least one of the core 4 would have to go.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

This team will improve through trade. That's the avenue. Look for a trade mid season.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It's going to be easier (and smarter) to upgrade via direct trade than by attempting to clear cap space and sign a FA, which is always very risky if you have one or two specific targets in mind.

The Raps would also likely lose more pieces trying to clear cap space.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X