Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure about that...FVV was struggling early in the season...wasn't shooting as well and definitely wasn't passing as well as he is now. But he has been amazing the last 3 months or so. Gotta give the guy credit, someone most expected to play very little this season has evolved into the 3rd or 4th most important player on the team.
    Would have to disagree.

The best 5-man unit in terms of +/- in the NBA is the Raptor's bench, and Fred is the PG. That makes him among the most valuable PGs in the NBA. And keep in mind, lineups 2-5 on that list are Starting 5's from other teams!! Where are our starters on that list!!? Biggest mistake Casey made against Miami was putting the starters back in in the 4th Q...kind of sad really

If you look at the second unit when Fred isn't in, like when Norm is in or Demar is in with them instead, then it quickly turns into garbage half-court sets and they do in fact look lost. So yes, I would say the 2nd unit is useless without Fred to guide it.

Overall I would say more often than not, Fred has been the 1st or 2nd most important player on the court on any given night for the Raps, especially when you consider all the games that the 2nd unit has won for the Raps this season.

Comment

• gorapsgo wrote: View Post
      Would have to disagree.

The best 5-man unit in terms of +/- in the NBA is the Raptor's bench, and Fred is the PG. That makes him among the most valuable PGs in the NBA. And keep in mind, lineups 2-5 on that list are Starting 5's from other teams!! Where are our starters on that list!!? Biggest mistake Casey made against Miami was putting the starters back in in the 4th Q...kind of sad really

If you look at the second unit when Fred isn't in, like when Norm is in or Demar is in with them instead, then it quickly turns into garbage half-court sets and they do in fact look lost. So yes, I would say the 2nd unit is useless without Fred to guide it.

Overall I would say more often than not, Fred has been the 1st or 2nd most important player on the court on any given night for the Raps, especially when you consider all the games that the 2nd unit has won for the Raps this season.
      as good as he's been, I wouldn't put him ahead of Lowry or Derozan. Some nights maybe, but not most nights. JV too, I think, has been more important than Fred on some of those nights. But he is clearly leading the second unit, and has performed well above expectations in minutes against starters.

Comment

• His shooting release on catch-and-shoot is pure money now.

Comment

• Great synopsis of Freddy's game. A must watch.
          Axel wrote:
          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
          KeonClark wrote:
          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
          KeonClark wrote:
          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post

Great synopsis of Freddy's game. A must watch.
            Great find, Cody. I know Casey took a lot of heat earlier this year on this board, having Fred close games.

Love having someone point out a lot of the subtle things he does that the coaching staff sees, but we rarely do when watching in real time.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Van Fleet is an all round SMART high end ball player. Give him a freak body and he's a superstar.

I like the guy, and if Toronto means to go far this year, he HAS to be a mjor part of the plan

Comment

• FVV is smart.. and there aren't really that many smart bball players. It's a one and done league for the most part, and guys get by on their athleticism. Early on I didn't see much game from FVV at all. Just a guy that was filling a roster spot. He's been great. And I really do consider him the 5th or 6th most impactful player on this team. I really hope Masai can figure out how to bring him back.

Although I probably said the same thing about Powell last year and he's trash now.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  FVV is smart.. and there aren't really that many smart bball players. It's a one and done league for the most part, and guys get by on their athleticism. Early on I didn't see much game from FVV at all. Just a guy that was filling a roster spot. He's been great. And I really do consider him the 5th or 6th most impactful player on this team. I really hope Masai can figure out how to bring him back.

Although I probably said the same thing about Powell last year and he's trash now.
                  Powell and FVV are both tough, but Powell relies more on athleticism, , FVV on smarts. FVV may regress on his 3 pt shot, but IQ doesn't slump.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Have a listen to one of the latest Lowe podcast featuring ex Cavs GM David Griffin. The initial premise is that being away from that role let Griffin rediscover his love for basketball. Now, he could have said anything here, but what did he say? I'm paraphrasing but it was something like "instead of worrying about a team I can just go watch Toronto's young guys and enjoy it". Lowe goes off on a riff about Poeltl Power and Griffin refocusses him to talk about FVV. Nice words by all.

Comment

• Comment

• Not sure if anyone did this already, but here's a comparison of Freddy to Kyle in their age 23 seasons:

http://bkref.com/tiny/FWHKb

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Not sure if anyone did this already, but here's a comparison of Freddy to Kyle in their age 23 seasons:

http://bkref.com/tiny/FWHKb

You can do similar with Siakam and Green if you want a boner..I'm not convinced this 3 year window is really a thing. Masai never lose.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            You can do similar with Siakam and Green if you want a boner..I'm not convinced this 3 year window is really a thing. Masai never lose.
                            He really crushed the 2016 draft. Picking Poeltl and Siakam then scooping up FVV
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                              He really crushed the 2016 draft. Picking Poeltl and Siakam then scooping up FVV
                              No kidding. If you redo that draft now, where do they go? All 3 guys are close to together. I'd have the following ahead of them (and that's a MAYBE to a few of these guys): Simmons, J Murray, Ingram, Brown, Brogdon. Poeltl is actually only behind Simmons in the advanced stuff like Win Shares and VORP.. Poeltl is probably anywhere from 3-5 in a redo, with Siakam and undrafted FVV inserted in the 5-9 range. It's awesome

Granted it looks like a pretty weak draft so far, but I guess that makes it even more impressive that you found THREE pro's
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                If we're talking about Draymond Green that's a bit of a stretch... Draymond was a defense-first guy whose value wasn't really captured by most stats. He was the number one power forward in DRPM at age 23 (2013-14)... Pascal is 22nd.

That said, Pascal has shown more on offense outside of playmaking, so who knows what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X