Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I thought he said he outplayed his current contract, not the extension?
    The max extension amount ($114M) triggers off the current contract, I believe, which can't get him into Herro/Poole range ($130M+). That's why he needs a new contract and won't sign the extension.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

No in all honesty I hate this iso matchup searching offence we’ve been using. But I think it’s more out of necessity right now.

Ideally you have Pascal and Scottie running constant PnR’s through the middle of the floor (both can handle or roll) with shooters in the corners and either another shooter on the elbow or a big in the dunker spot. Also allows for a ton of Spain pnr’s if it’s a big.

You’d have two guys who are good with the ball and probably our two best passers in the middle of the floor with options around them.
      I don't want Scottie or Pascal playing the 5 anymore and I think that would be needed in this 2 man game. But ultimately I'd have to see more of the play to see how often it can work, as I don't really remember them trying it much.

But yes, even the center would need to space the floor otherwise you'll have 3 defenders in the paint trying to stop that action. Feels like a play they would run in the 90's and not in this era of basketball. Could work if the center is able to spread the floor too though.

Comment

Fred’s never even shot 65% at the rim
        Shake Milton is shooting 70% at the rim over the last 2 seasons. 67% for his career. He's 6'5".

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I'd estimate Shake's market in the $10-13M/yr range, so we'd be replacing what you were saying you want Fred to do, for almost 1/3rd of the price.

These are the type of shrewd cap moves we need to be making. Not artificially pumping up an undersized combo guard's numbers to make him believe he's Raptors' Kobe and needs to be paid as such, and control the offense to justify the overpay.
          I don't think we will have cap space. Even if Fred leaves in free agency. I assume OG would return something. Plus we'd have a top 5-6 pick's cap hold. So it would have to be a S&T. Or hope he takes a mid-level type of deal.

He's making about $2M. Anything we can trade to get him now? That way we get his bird rights. I'd trade him for Flynn and a pick swap in 2024. Although that feels like an overpay from us since our pick could suck again next year. And Philly is going for it.. Shake gives them far more than Flynn would in the short term.

Comment

• We'd still need a backup for Shake. We need 2 guards next year that can space the floor.. not just one. Maybe Scoot can be the other

Comment

I'd estimate Shake's market in the $10-13M/yr range, so we'd be replacing what you were saying you want Fred to do, for almost 1/3rd of the price.

These are the type of shrewd cap moves we need to be making. Not artificially pumping up an undersized combo guard's numbers to make him believe he's Raptors' Kobe and needs to be paid as such, and control the offense to justify the overpay.
              Problem is that Shake Milton needs to want to come to Toronto. What in Raptors history leads you to believe that they could land him? There's a reason Toronto operates over the cap and pays its homegrown guys. Milton will get a bunch of looks in FA cause he's good and he'll be relatively cheap. Can't see him coming to Toronto.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I don't think we will have cap space. Even if Fred leaves in free agency. I assume OG would return something. Plus we'd have a top 5-6 pick's cap hold. So it would have to be a S&T. Or hope he takes a mid-level type of deal.

He's making about $2M. Anything we can trade to get him now? That way we get his bird rights. I'd trade him for Flynn and a pick swap in 2024. Although that feels like an overpay from us since our pick could suck again next year. And Philly is going for it.. Shake gives them far more than Flynn would in the short term.
                Sixers are near the bottom in offensive rebounding, so perhaps an energy guy like Boucher to get them more possessions would interest them. Generally, they just need size for when Embiid rests. Harrell has been disappointing for them. Problem would be making salaries & roster spots match. Probably best to involve a 3rd team.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Problem is that Shake Milton needs to want to come to Toronto. What in Raptors history leads you to believe that they could land him? There's a reason Toronto operates over the cap and pays its homegrown guys. Milton will get a bunch of looks in FA cause he's good and he'll be relatively cheap. Can't see him coming to Toronto.
                  I assume we'd have his Bird Rights, which could make a difference with a lower tier FA like Shake, since it would be a his first big payday. Term & amount will matter.

Comment

Pascal absolutely spreads the floor with his midrange. That’s an asinine take to say he doesn’t. He’s shooting better percentages than Fred from inside the 3 point line at literally every interval.

And that’s not even down to Fred’s off year. He’s consistently had better midrange numbers than Fred his whole career. Siakam’s midrange is actually really good.
                    spreading the floor from the mid-range is an oxymoron to me and i don't understand what you mean by it

Comment

• i like shake i agree he would be a solid target

Comment

Shake Milton is shooting 70% at the rim over the last 2 seasons. 67% for his career. He's 6'5".
                        I’m a fan. Is he available though?

Comment

Sixers are near the bottom in offensive rebounding, so perhaps an energy guy like Boucher to get them more possessions would interest them. Generally, they just need size for when Embiid rests. Harrell has been disappointing for them. Problem would be making salaries & roster spots match. Probably best to involve a 3rd team.

Throw some picks Raptors way. Maybe Philly gets one of them.

Get a rim protector and two young guards.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

spreading the floor from the mid-range is an oxymoron to me and i don't understand what you mean by it
                            You don’t see a difference between someone like Gobert’s shot chart and someone like Siakam’s shot chart and how that can have a huge effect on offensive spacing?

You have to guard one out to the 3 point line or you can crowd the paint and be that much faster to protect the rim with the other

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Throw some picks Raptors way. Maybe Philly gets one of them.

Get a rim protector and two young guards.
                              That's not what the Sixers would be looking for. They need more win-now vets, not flyers on younger players with untapped potential like Reddish. Size, with enough skill, to survive the non-Embiid minutes has always been a high priority for them. Maybe a deal with the Pacers to route Daniel Theis to them, or Mo Bamba.

Comment

That's not what the Sixers would be looking for. They need more win-now vets, not flyers on younger players with untapped potential like Reddish. Size, with enough skill, to survive the non-Embiid minutes has always been a high priority for them. Maybe a deal with the Pacers to route Daniel Theis to them, or Mo Bamba.
                                Yeah tough to make a trade since Philly is a tax team. Was thinking Brandon Clarke from Memphis via some OG trade but Clarke I think has a poison pill deal or something. Did he recently sign an extension?

Comment

Working...
                                X