Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JawsGT wrote: View Post

    Practice, thats all these games are man. Some of these guys are getting more leash than they should and nobody cares if they win, except a few fans wishing for a play in. So fred is gonna force the issue and see what he can do.
    Yep. That’s what I believe exactly this season has been about. Practice for the new core. We paid Pascal, Fred and OG big money and management wants to find out if they can carry a team to wins like Lowry and Derozan did.

    All 3 of them are clearly learning on the job in roles that are beyond their current skill sets. They are getting the leash to take major reps and expand their without the safety blanket of better teammates, or the pressure of winning big in previous years.

    The money factor is important because their salary now limits the other moves you can make to improve the roster. They need to be able to elevate cheaper players to be winning type players.

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      Yep. That’s what I believe exactly this season has been about. Practice for the new core. We paid Pascal, Fred and OG big money and management wants to find out if they can carry a team to wins like Lowry and Derozan did.

      All 3 of them are clearly learning on the job in roles that are beyond their current skill sets. They are getting the leash to take major reps and expand their without the safety blanket of better teammates, or the pressure of winning big in previous years.

      The money factor is important because their salary now limits the other moves you can make to improve the roster. They need to be able to elevate cheaper players to be winning type players.
      This.

      You timely utilize those assets with financial and marketable value.

      28 years old is a ripe age.

      You cannot cancel me out dumb dumb, I will always be in that little nugget of yours camping like a mosquito https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/c...ilies/wink.png

      When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers


      Comment


      • It's a bit surreal. We've always said that one day Kyle will pass the torch to FVV. Now it's actually passed. Bet on yourself Freddy.

        Comment


        • Jclaw wrote: View Post
          It's a bit surreal. We've always said that one day Kyle will pass the torch to FVV. Now it's actually passed. Bet on yourself Freddy.
          And suddenly it's like people have forgotten that Fred is an allstar calibre point guard. Perhaps mostly because he was forced to play shooting guard.

          Comment


          • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

            And suddenly it's like people have forgotten that Fred is an allstar calibre point guard. Perhaps mostly because he was forced to play shooting guard.
            Pretty sure it’s mostly because he’s a 6 foot shooting guard, not a point guard.

            Comment


            • Maury wrote: View Post

              Pretty sure it’s mostly because he’s a 6 foot shooting guard, not a point guard.
              I guess it depends how you define such things (next thing you'll be trying to tell me that Steph Curry doesn't play the point either), but instead of getting into a semantics debate...you're wrong.

              Comment


              • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

                I guess it depends how you define such things (next thing you'll be trying to tell me that Steph Curry doesn't play the point either), but instead of getting into a semantics debate...you're wrong.
                Among other things... I'd like a PG who creates advantages in the half court and easy shots at the rim for teammates. Fred becomes fairly predictable with his drive & kick to the perimeter. And when he can't create advantages off the dribble, he hot potatoes the ball to teammates with very little time left on the clock, forcing them into a really difficult contested shot... which is the exact opposite of what a good PG should do.

                Steph's massive gravity alone, creates space and wide open shots for teammates, by simple ball movement. Needless to stay.... Fred doesn't have Steph's gravity and Fred isn't even an elite 3-pt shooter anymore by last year's NBA standards. Not exactly a great comparison.

                Comment


                • golden wrote: View Post

                  Among other things... I'd like a PG who creates advantages in the half court and easy shots at the rim for teammates. Fred becomes fairly predictable with his drive & kick to the perimeter. And when he can't create advantages off the dribble, he hot potatoes the ball to teammates with very little time left on the clock, forcing them into a really difficult contested shot... which is the exact opposite of what a good PG should do.

                  Steph's massive gravity alone, creates space and wide open shots for teammates, by simple ball movement. Needless to stay.... Fred doesn't have Steph's gravity and Fred isn't even an elite 3-pt shooter anymore by last year's NBA standards. Not exactly a great comparison.
                  That's all great. But it doesn't refute the fact that Fred is going to be starting at the point, and is a very good player at that position.

                  Comment


                  • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

                    That's all great. But it doesn't refute the fact that Fred is going to be starting at the point, and is a very good player at that position.
                    I don't know if we've seen Fred without the safety blanket of another playmaker, like Kyle or Pascal on the court. Jury is still out if Fred can elevate lesser players, like Lowry + Bench did for years. Big shoes to fill.

                    Comment


                    • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

                      That's all great. But it doesn't refute the fact that Fred is going to be starting at the point, and is a very good player at that position.
                      The fringe all star guys never get the respect they deserve until 10 years into their career. Lowry got the same treatment most of his career. Freds the best player on the team, a great leader, and on a value contract, every marginal upgrade he makes is awesome - its on the other guys to make the big leaps now.

                      Comment


                      • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

                        That's all great. But it doesn't refute the fact that Fred is going to be starting at the point, and is a very good player at that position.
                        Holy shit. Are we doing this absurd bun fight again? After the last 2 seasons? Fred is the PG. He may have weaknesses at the position but that's what he is on this team whether people like it or not and whether he fits someone's preferences as to what a PG does or is.

                        Comment


                        • slaw wrote: View Post

                          Holy shit. Are we doing this absurd bun fight again? After the last 2 seasons? Fred is the PG. He may have weaknesses at the position but that's what he is on this team whether people like it or not and whether he fits someone's preferences as to what a PG does or is.
                          With Lowry gone, we absolutely need to discuss Fred's strengths and weaknesses and how that relates to roster construction and ultimately building a championship team. The coach, GM and team leaders are always main topics in sports forum discussions.

                          Feel free to sit this one out.

                          Like I said, I think there's a reason why we're bringing in all these ballhandlers/playmakers with size.

                          Comment


                          • Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            It's a bit surreal. We've always said that one day Kyle will pass the torch to FVV. Now it's actually passed. Bet on yourself Freddy.
                            Are you now the resident thread bumper? It seems that has been your role lately. So sure, why not discuss the forum darling.

                            Van Vleet is a poor man Kyle Lowry as a Point Guard and a Shooting Guard as inefficient as Derozan

                            He has big shoes to fill.
                            You cannot cancel me out dumb dumb, I will always be in that little nugget of yours camping like a mosquito https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/c...ilies/wink.png

                            When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers


                            Comment


                            • Poor man's Kyle Lowry is still borderline allstar.

                              Comment


                              • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                Poor man's Kyle Lowry is still borderline allstar.
                                Nah.

                                One thing though, if he stays, they should decrease his usage and possession in favor of Barnes.

                                It would be painful to watch him chucking the ball and hoisting Hail Marys now that Kyle is gone.

                                Handing the torch means leadership and NOT ball possessions lol
                                You cannot cancel me out dumb dumb, I will always be in that little nugget of yours camping like a mosquito https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/c...ilies/wink.png

                                When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X