No announcement yet.

Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All 3 of Lowry, Delon and FVV finished top 10 last year in DRPM among all PG's. FVV is currently 11th this season. Doesn't make sense intuitively for a short, below average athlete, but he makes up for it in smarts, effort and tenacity. His offence has improved - his 9.7 TOV% is almost half Delon's 17.7% this season with comparable AST%.

Having a plus defender ball handler who doesn't fuck up certainly makes Casey's use of him in crunch time defensible, even if not optimal.
    Last edited by 3inthekeon; Tue Nov 28, 2017, 11:33 AM.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Who makes more money next year FVV or Derek Rose?

It's easy to cheer for Fred. His contract situation fascinates me and perhaps adds some intrigue as we get closer to trade deadline.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
        Who makes more money next year FVV or Derek Rose?

It's easy to cheer for Fred. His contract situation fascinates me and perhaps adds some intrigue as we get closer to trade deadline.
        Yeah, he's a Gilbert Arenas RFA. We only have Early Bird Rights, so teams can only offer up to the full MLE starting salary, but with an enormous raise after year two, if they have the cap space for the average salary of the deal. The Early Bird Rights would allow us to match that offer.

We're actually in a funny spot where we might not hesitate to match a Gilbert Arenas offer for the right player, because we are cash strapped for the next two seasons, then like 100M in salary comes off the books, so the high salary in the 3rd and 4th years wouldn't be that problematic. But I don't know if FVV warrants an above-MLE offer (or even an MLE offer), and I don't know that the Raps would match even with the backloading because they have Wright cheap for another year...
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Kevin Pelton and Shamsports Mark Deeks with a little twitter exchange

Pelton: Too bad it took an injury to Delon Wright, but fun to see Fred VanVleet unleashed as a full-time backup PG.

Deeks : I did not expect him to be as solid at it as this.

Pelton: You must not have read my draft projections!

https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/936764405982752768
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Apparently FVV is currently leading the NBA in Net Rating
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
              Apparently FVV is currently leading the NBA in Net Rating
              He's a good player

Comment

I've been telling you guys that VV is a good player and should be the team's back PG way before the season even started.

Like i always say, give him CONSISTENT playing time and he's going to SHINE.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    YEAH FREDDY!!!
                    Do you think we could trade him for Curry straight up or would we need to add someone else to make the salaries work?
                    ...Maybe throw in a 2nd?

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                      I've been telling you guys that VV is a good player and should be the team's back PG way before the season even started.

Like i always say, give him CONSISTENT playing time and he's going to SHINE.
                      Looks like you may have been right all along.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

FVV has been crazy good. I’m certainly surprised. He can suddenly hit threes and layups.

Pretty sure this surprises the Raptors too. I know they liked FVV, but only enough to give him a two year deal, rather than use part of an exception to give him three. Now he’ll be an Early Bird FA this summer. Good problem to have, I guess.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He's starting to make me feel comfortable with the idea of using Wright in a trade.

Anyone else feel like he plays like a poor man's Lowry kind of? Same kind of physical frame, same toughness on both ends of the floor. Smart player, makes the right decisions.

Comment

Everything VanVleet

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                            He's starting to make me feel comfortable with the idea of using Wright in a trade.

Anyone else feel like he plays like a poor man's Lowry kind of? Same kind of physical frame, same toughness on both ends of the floor. Smart player, makes the right decisions.
                            Me too.

He's a solid backup.

He reminds me of Lowry (but a little less bulldog-ish). However, he's a bit of a bulldog on defence, he can shoot and isn't afraid to mix it up and get to the basket. He's a pretty good passer and likes to move the ball around. He runs the offense very well.

I think he makes Wright expendable. The only thing that would change my opinion is if Wright comes back a reliable 3 pt shooter.
                            Last edited by special1; Sat Dec 2, 2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I was nto impressed with F VV early in the season, he was very frustrating for me to watch, Seemed to press too much and took bad shots. This latest stretch has me feeling better about him. I don't see him as a starter in the NBA, but he is starting to find his rythm as a back up with regualr minutes. I hope he keeps proving me wrong.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I was shocked by the fact that we were able to put him on Oladipo. That's huge if that's something he can do on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X