Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
    If there's a feasible way to keep him financially then do it of course, but I'm seeing some crazies on reddit talking about paying him 20M a year if that's what it takes.

Paying 20M a year for FVV is exactly how to completely fuck this franchise for the foreseeable future.
    His maximum salary is 18.6M per year over 4 years.

Obviously a) no one would ever offer him that and b) the Raptors would not match it if he did receive such an offer. But also, if he does get a >MLE offer from anyone, it doesn't really hurt the Raps for the next two critical years more than a simple MLE offer would, due to his Gilbert Arenas status. It would mean elevated pay in the two years after this window, but I don't know that that would be a problem for the Raps if the MLE now would not be a problem for them.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Sure, every player brings different skills to the table. My point is that backup PGs are available for cheap in the market, which has been proven again and again. And I trust Masai & Casey to find a suitable replacement.

But is your point that we are now saying that Freddy will be irreplaceable if he leaves in the summer? Sounds a lot like the Biyombo angst that people had 2 years ago.
      I agree. Over Masai's tenure we've replaced a lot of key players without missing a step.

Comment

• Betta VanVleet

That is all
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          I agree. Over Masai's tenure we've replaced a lot of key players without missing a step.
          Who are these KEY players that you're talking about?
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            Who are these KEY players that you're talking about?
            Well, pretty much every definition of "key" that applies to FVV also applies to Patterson in his time here, for one.

CoJo and Biz you could make arguments for as well.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Brandon Jennings just returned to the NBA last night from China:

16pts, 12ast, 8reb in 24 minutes. 3-6 from 3pt

Like I was saying.....
              You think Jennings can do what VV is doing for this team right now because of those numbers?

You're completely underestimating VV's leadership. And there's something to be said about fit and chemistry.

Jennings is known as a headcase and a chucker.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                I don't think he's irreplaceable in the sense that the team will suffer dramatically from his exit. But I also think to expect zero drop-off from FVV to whatever random minimum signing you might make is probably foolhardy. Sure, Masai could find another gem, but even FVV required a year of seasoning before he stepped into his role this year.

I think the team can function just fine with Wright as the primary backup PG and staggering DD/KL more. But I'd also prefer to keep FVV, because the team will be better with him than without him.
                Of course I'd want to keep FVV, but I'm reading stuff like 'superstar potential' and 'irreplaceable', so just trying to keep things in perspective here. I'm okay with the 5-8M range, but after that, I'm not so sure.

Comment

You think Jennings can do what VV is doing for this team right now because of those numbers?

You're completely underestimating VV's leadership. And there's something to be said about fit and chemistry.

And a major defensive liability.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

If we're talking about fit and chemistry, then that opens up the possibilities to a lot more unheralded, unknown guys, just like FVV. I just threw Jennings out there as an example of backup PGs who could play in the NBA right now and are available for cheap. And lo and behold, just like that, Jennings is back in the NBA and contributing right away.

It's an indication of the market supply and demand for the backup PG position, not specifically Jennings plug & play for FVV at this point in time on this roster. If we're still playing the Ride and Die style of play, where FVV has to create offense for himself and draw contact to get to the FT line, then I'm betting he would look worse than CoJo. Fit and chemistry are absolutely important, but at least now we have a system that makes role players actually look better.
                    Last edited by golden; Tue Mar 13, 2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Of course I'd want to keep FVV, but I'm reading stuff like 'superstar potential' and 'irreplaceable', so just trying to keep things in perspective here. I'm okay with the 5-8M range, but after that, I'm not so sure.
                      There's not really much of an "after that" scenario anyway.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        There's not really much of an "after that" scenario anyway.
                        I mean, you'd think so, but there are always GMs who like to overpay.....

Comment

I mean, you'd think so, but there are always GMs who like to overpay.....

There sure are. And there are a lot of bigger fish out there this summer than FVV, and only so many GMs with cap room.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• From Hoops Rumors:

Seven 2018 Free Agents Who Have Boosted Their Value This Season

3. Fred VanVleet, PG, Raptors (RFA): After flying under the radar for most of the season, VanVleet had a couple signature moments in wins last week over Detroit and Houston and is starting to receive some national attention. VanVleet, who has turned into the de facto leader of the Raptors‘ talented second unit, has been part of most of Toronto’s best lineups — the club has a +14.5 net rating when he’s on the court, compared to a +4.8 mark when he sits. Suddenly, the former Wichita State standout looks like the restricted free agent most likely to sign an Arenas-provision offer sheet this July.
                            https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/03/...is-season.html
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Some more of that national attention

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/h...asts-top-team/

Comment

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm not perfect.
                                Yeah, but you're a Bulls fan on a Raps forum, how can you go wrong with that? You get to trash the Raps when they're struggling, prop them up when they're rolling for some reason, but then if and when we lose, you can say "see suckers, I'm glad I'm a Bulls fan! Raps suck!" lol sounds like the perfect strategy
                                Last edited by inthepaint; Wed Mar 14, 2018, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X