Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post

I don't think so, minor contributions can be delegated to most any role player. Fred made more 3's than any body EVER off the bench in the Finals. You can't just ask anybody to do that.
    And alot of them were clutch and desperately needed at the time.
    Leon Powe says hello. And we don't even get past the Sixers if Nurse doesn't cut Fred's minutes back drastically.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Leon Powe says hello. And we don't even get past the Sixers if Nurse doesn't cut Fred's minutes back drastically.
      Uhh ... Hi? Lol

And Cool. Nice move by Nurse. That's not what we're talking about though.

Comment

Sell high.
        He's making under $10M as a very capable PG off the bench and regular rotation player. That is the type of role player you want surrounding your stars.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

He's making under $10M as a very capable PG off the bench and regular rotation player. That is the type of role player you want surrounding your stars.
          Oh, 100%.

You think he's going to be making $10M a year on his next contract though? Because that's less than a year away. And that's the question - are the Raptors willing to pay him whatever the market decides?
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Oh, 100%.

You think he's going to be making $10M a year on his next contract though? Because that's less than a year away. And that's the question - are the Raptors willing to pay him whatever the market decides?
            Fair point, but the Raps have barely $20M committed total beyond this coming season ... and half of that is Norm Powell. We're going to need to pay somebody. Lol

Comment

Fair point, but the Raps have barely $20M committed total beyond this coming season ... and half of that is Norm Powell. We're going to need to pay somebody. Lol
              In 2021 they likely have aims of being able to offer Giannis a max deal and his pick of the rest of the max deal free agents out there. Can't be signing up to expensive role players if they want to be FA players. Gotta pay someone is hardly a good reason to tie up your cap in a guy whose value is very tied up in being in a very specific role.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

In 2021 they likely have aims of being able to offer Giannis a max deal and his pick of the rest of the max deal free agents out there. Can't be signing up to expensive role players if they want to be FA players. Gotta pay someone is hardly a good reason to tie up your cap in a guy whose value is very tied up in being in a very specific role.

Comment

Sure, but it is hardly restrictive to retain Freddy. He will be on a pretty tradable contract and fits with most all lineups. Plus it helps to have some assets encase you wanna trade for the other max player you alluded to. Id argue retaining Fred at a decent price opens more doors than it closes. Maybe you can get a good price midway through the year, but I tend to think hes more valuable on the roster.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Sure, but it is hardly restrictive to retain Freddy. He will be on a pretty tradable contract and fits with most all lineups. Plus it helps to have some assets encase you wanna trade for the other max player you alluded to. Id argue retaining Fred at a decent price opens more doors than it closes. Maybe you can get a good price midway through the year, but I tend to think hes more valuable on the roster.
                    Hey, I'd be all over signing Freddy to a huge overpay in summer 2020 to get him on a 1 year term, and then be able to keep him around the following season if other plans fall through. But I don't think we should just assume teams will be lining up to take on a contract to let us sign multiple max free agents without charging us accordingly...
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 2021 is looking bountiful in terms of free-agents and I'm of the opinion we should keep the sheet clean that year so we can maximize our impact in the signings. That said, I'm also aware that having the space doesn't necessarily mean high end free agents are gonna flock here to fill it. That was kinda the Knicks strategy (which granted are lot more poorly run then the Raptors), but ended up getting nobody, in spite being in New York city.

Keeping it clean for 2021 is strategy with the highest upside though, I really hop they go that way and more or less punt 2020. Summer 2021 will be the true litmus test of free-agency appeal on this franchise. We'd have the cap space and a championship in not far in the rearview mirror, so it would be the year to finally acquire (and hopefully retain) high end free-agents.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                        2021 is looking bountiful in terms of free-agents and I'm of the opinion we should keep the sheet clean that year so we can maximize our impact in the signings. That said, I'm also aware that having the space doesn't necessarily mean high end free agents are gonna flock here to fill it. That was kinda the Knicks strategy (which granted are lot more poorly run then the Raptors), but ended up getting nobody, in spite being in New York city.

Keeping it clean for 2021 is strategy with the highest upside though, I really hop they go that way and more or less punt 2020. Summer 2021 will be the true litmus test of free-agency appeal on this franchise. We'd have the cap space and a championship in not far in the rearview mirror, so it would be the year to finally acquire (and hopefully retain) high end free-agents.
                        To the bolded, and perhaps more in line with our situation, it's also not unlike what Dallas did after they won their championship as well, and it didn't really get them anyone either. But I agree, you gotta take that chance.

Comment

To the bolded, and perhaps more in line with our situation, it's also not unlike what Dallas did after they won their championship as well, and it didn't really get them anyone either. But I agree, you gotta take that chance.
                          Difference is, Dallas still had Dirk after their chip, and rather insanely punted away that team for the cap space. We don't have Kawhi anymore. If we did, we'd be keeping the core together at least for the next season. In our case, we really don't have a championship core to protect - but the one thing we do have that Dallas didn't is our up and coming young star in Siakam who played a key role in the chip, and will still be here going forward, only getting better. Rather than Dirk on the wrong side of the aging curve. Makes a big difference when it comes to making sales pitches with that cap space.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Be interesting to see if it carries over. One thing I expect from Fred is that he will not go "Wow. An MVP vote from Hubie. I guess now I can slack off on my personal training program."
                            I can almost guarantee you that the MVP vote — if it has any impact at all — will only drive this guy to work harder.

I've been following Fred's career since he was a freshman in college. He's always had "obvious limits" ... that he goes on to exceed. Again and again and again. Maybe he won't improve a great deal over his performance this year, but I wouldn't bet against him.

Comment

• schmemily wrote: View Post

I can almost guarantee you that the MVP vote — if it has any impact at all — will only drive this guy to work harder.

I've been following Fred's career since he was a freshman in college. He's always had "obvious limits" ... that he goes on to exceed. Again and again and again. Maybe he won't improve a great deal over his performance this year, but I wouldn't bet against him.
                              I wish FVV could improve his timing & chemistry with bigs on the PnR. Even something simple like the bounce pass. He's really inconsistent and that was something that was supposed to be a huge strength of his. That would allow Fred to be a true PG, instead of a 5-10'ish shooting guard which creates matchup problems with certain teams and lineups. It's not so much a physical thing, so he should be able to do it.

Comment

I wish FVV could improve his timing & chemistry with bigs on the PnR. Even something simple like the bounce pass. He's really inconsistent and that was something that was supposed to be a huge strength of his. That would allow Fred to be a true PG, instead of a 5-10'ish shooting guard which creates matchup problems with certain teams and lineups. It's not so much a physical thing, so he should be able to do it.
                                Part of it is the way defences play him. They cut off the passing lane and let him walk to the rim, knowing they can recover and contest the shot really easily.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X