Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post
    Do we have the money to re-sign him next year?
    Yes. Re-signing him is easy.

Re-signing him while maintaining flexibility to plan for a max salary add the following summer is the trick. So it will depend what sort of salary he commands. Which will depend heavily on how the season goes (which will also factor into how likely the Raptors are to want to use their space to keep him). It's complicated.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Feels like all our guys are going to be demanding big pay raises. OG will want an extension too. We can afford them but how limited will our roster be after we sign them all? Glad I'm not Masai. This could get tricky, especially if he wants a shot at Giannis, even if it's slim.
      OG will likely not be extended, and asked instead to wait for RFA to keep his cap hold low. So his raise won't impact the flexibility for summer 2021. It will however mean that window is likely one summer and one summer only. Same goes for Terry II - he'll be RFA that summer as well but with a very small cap hold.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Need to see it in more than 1 game, against teams with real rim protection
        That’s fair, but he did look a lot more in control last night, not just with his finishing but also generally running the offense
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Pascal and FVV for Co-MVP!!

If we can sign this guys before novemeber i would try to do it. He's going to be starting alot and if he keeps having games like this his value is going to skyrocket.
          DanH think we could get this done? Is a contract similar to what Dejountay doable. Cause if we could get him for that right now i would jump at it.
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Yes. Re-signing him is easy.

Re-signing him while maintaining flexibility to plan for a max salary add the following summer is the trick. So it will depend what sort of salary he commands. Which will depend heavily on how the season goes (which will also factor into how likely the Raptors are to want to use their space to keep him). It's complicated.
            If Terrence Davis emerges, then I think it's like a 90% chance that Powell gets traded. He didn't do his job keeping Kawhi here. lol. You'd also have to assume that either Gasol or Ibaka is off the books... maybe both. What does that look like?

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
              Pascal and FVV for Co-MVP!!

If we can sign this guys before novemeber i would try to do it. He's going to be starting alot and if he keeps having games like this his value is going to skyrocket.
              DanH think we could get this done? Is a contract similar to what Dejountay doable. Cause if we could get him for that right now i would jump at it.
              FVV is not eligible for an extension. There is no way to avoid him hitting UFA next summer. They can sign him at that point, no sooner.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

If Terrence Davis emerges, then I think it's like a 90% chance that Powell gets traded. He didn't do his job keeping Kawhi here. lol. You'd also have to assume that either Gasol or Ibaka is off the books... maybe both. What does that look like?
                Norm being gone would help free up about 10M, but I wonder how easy it will be to move him. The 2021 planning will assume both Gasol and Ibaka, as well as Lowry, are gone, or stay for suuuuuper cheap (minimum or close to it).

Wrote a whole article post Siakam extension that expounded on this planning. https://www.raptorshq.com/2019/10/20...ract-extension

Key bit:

Player | Salary
                Pascal Siakam: $31.32M
                OG Anunoby: $11.62M (cap hold)
                Norman Powell: $11.62M (player option)
                Terrence Davis II: $2.06M (cap hold)
                Dewan Hernandez: $1.78M (unguaranteed)
                Matt Thomas: $1.78M (unguaranteed)
                6 empty roster slots: $6.07M

There are also cap holds for guys like Stanley Johnson ($4.9 million) and Patrick McCaw ($7.6 million) but this is my article and I’m not envisioning either on the Raptors two years from now. There may also be a draft pick or two added between now and then, probably on something like $3.5 million between the two of them, assuming a late first round pick each year, though they would each cut off a $1 million empty roster slot cap hold, so little impact there.

Including the draft picks, that puts Toronto’s committed salary (assuming those contracts and cap holds listed above are kept) at $67.72 million. The salary cap is currently projected at $123 million. Now, that projection could be wildly off, considering the drama in China, and could drop by around 15 percent by some estimates. But that would also drop the cap next year, and therefore drop Pascal’s salary, and drop the values of the minimum salaries, and the rookie scale deals, and the max salaries for any free agents that summer, and so on. We’ll assume for now the projection is correct and evaluate later what impact the cap dropping could have.

That means the Raptors are looking at $55.28 million in cap room, if they sign a single free agent. Which is obviously plenty, considering the max they can offer any free agent with cap space is 35 percent of the cap, $43 million that summer. The point of outlining it like that is that if you sign more players with that cap space, you have fewer of those roster slot cap holds eating up your usable space — meaning if you split that cap space between two players, you can take a $1 million hold off the books, giving you $1 million in extra cap room to split between them. Make it three and it increases by another $1 million. And so on.

Anyway, that $43 million max is for a 10+ year veteran, not likely the sort of player the Raptors would target to partner with Siakam. They’ll want a 7-9 year veteran (30 percent of the cap), as those players will be unrestricted free agents, and won’t have a prior team that can match any offer. They’ll also be in their prime, rather than still developing or already declining. That 30 percent max is projected at $36.9 million. So let’s set that aside for one max salary signing and clear off a $1 million cap hold.

That leaves the Raptors with $18.38 million in cap room to spend on one more player, or a little more than that if they want to split it up between multiple players. But keep in mind, this is a projected cap where the Mid-Level Exception (MLE), whereby such elites as C.J. Miles and Jason Kapono were acquired, is projected at $10.5 million. $18 million doesn’t buy you what it used to. There is a good chance that’s what a Fred VanVleet might command in salary next summer. You’ll notice his name is not listed above — he’s a free agent this coming summer and if the Raptors want him, or any of the other incumbents not listed above, to be on the team in 2021 they’ll need to re-sign him in a shallow free agent market and eat into that cap space.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Feels like all our guys are going to be demanding big pay raises. OG will want an extension too. We can afford them but how limited will our roster be after we sign them all? Glad I'm not Masai. This could get tricky, especially if he wants a shot at Giannis, even if it's slim.
                  Yep, that's what happens when you have good players and win stuff. It's also why Raps are so fortunate with this front office and player development model: you constantly need to be adding young players on cheap deals who can actually play and the Raps have shown they can do that pretty consistently. It's a bit thin right now cause of the trades last year and free agency departures but Davis and Hernandez both look like they can play, which is two roster spots you don't have to fill with free agents at premium dollars. I still think Matt Thomas is going to become a regular at some point as well.

Comment

• To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Raptors officially have the shortest starting backcourt in the nba by far lol
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

OK..nothing like internal competition to push guys to makes themselves better....

Norms going to get his minutes this year.

He has to make the most of them. If he does that he pushes Fred to keep on doing what he’s been doing in a race for starter status and if you can’t unseat Fred for starter ....make yourself an option for crunch time minutes.

Norm and OG doing really well on a consistent basis makes for a chance to make a deeper playoff run than most are expecting.

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• Nurse just loves him some ball-handlers. A Lowry, FVV, Davis, Powell, Siakam lineup is inevitable. Over/under: 7 games in?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Raptors officially have the shortest starting backcourt in the nba by far lol
                            Maybe we are ahead of the curve and starting a new trend. We the new age GSW instead of launching 3s the new thing will be starting your 2 smallest players and running circles around those big clunky wings/big men.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Well I'm back ((thou I've been lurking) .
                              Always look forward to all(most) of your insightful comments here at RR.
                              NOW WHERES JCLAW with the game thread for tomorrow!!!! Let's get a move on.
                              😁 I know I know theres more to life then BBall errrrrr..... wait is there?

Comment

• Will or should the Raptors re-sign FVV?

Comment

Working...
                                X