No announcement yet.

Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank god we have a star who actually improves the roster around him and not vice-versa
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

It's almost like Siakam is a #1 option and budding superstar and FVV is a solid, complimentary guard......
      And I'm totally fine with that take. People are tossing around "all-star", but I mean, Mo Williams was an all-star next to Lebron, so let's keep that in mind.

Main point being: if we put Terence Davis in the starting lineup with Pascal next year, we'll be seeing the same results at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

It's almost like Siakam is a #1 option and budding superstar and FVV is a solid, complimentary guard......
        He is indeed! And his strength not being creating offence himself is part of why he is the latter and not the former. And he's great at what he does and I don't think expecting him to do things he's less good at is something we should do, and I don't think it's a criticism of the player to recognize that he struggles in one role and excels in another. That's the whole point of a complementary player - they fit into a certain role to complement the stars who drive the team.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Now what?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
            Now what?

That team executive was from the Milwaukee Bucks...... or 28 other teams trying to mess with our franchise. Notice a trend here. Last year it was Kawhi, then the persistent Masai is leaving rumors. This year it's DeRozan back to Toronto and FVV getting 30M/year. Next we're going to start hearing stuff about Nick Nurse being poached. Other teams are getting jealous of the Raptors success.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

That team executive was from the Milwaukee Bucks...... or 28 other teams trying to mess with our franchise. Notice a trend here. Last year it was Kawhi, then the persistent Masai is leaving rumors. This year it's DeRozan back to Toronto and FVV getting 30M/year. Next we're going to start hearing stuff about Nick Nurse being poached. Other teams are getting jealous of the Raptors success.
              There was a rumour I read yesterday about Knicks/Masai. I can't find the tweet now but it says there is fear within the Raps organization that Masai could leave the Raptors for the NY Knicks.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

He is indeed! And his strength not being creating offence himself is part of why he is the latter and not the former. And he's great at what he does and I don't think expecting him to do things he's less good at is something we should do, and I don't think it's a criticism of the player to recognize that he struggles in one role and excels in another. That's the whole point of a complementary player - they fit into a certain role to complement the stars who drive the team.
                Yes, why would the team expect or even want a player to grow and expand his game and get better at stuff. How would that benefit anyone? I mean, what good would it do if he improved at creating offence himself and turned it into a strength? Who would that help? What a waste of time! It might hurt their OFFRTG and maybe even their NetRTG!!

I remember when Siakam came into the league and first game we were all like, why isn't that the primary ballhandler and shot creator?

Comment

• The $25/$30M rumour is crazy. That's borderline max money there. Which team have that kind of cap space, that could also use an upgrade at PG? Mock drafts are speculating that the top half of the lottery will be filled with point guards too.

Hope Masai is looking at Fred like Biyombo. If Fred can get the $25M contract, all the power to him. I think he can be our PG "of the future".. but not at that figure. Love the guy but that's way too much for me. Was thinking max $20M.. I mean Brogdon got $85/4. Brogdon is better.. and there is a chance the salary cap drops with all the China crap that happened, and the TV viewership shrinking.

Comment

Yes, why would the team expect or even want a player to grow and expand his game and get better at stuff. How would that benefit anyone? I mean, what good would it do if he improved at creating offence himself and turned it into a strength? Who would that help? What a waste of time! It might hurt their OFFRTG and maybe even their NetRTG!!

I remember when Siakam came into the league and first game we were all like, why isn't that the primary ballhandler and shot creator?
                    Who has ever argued for not letting FVV do SOME ball handling to improve his game? Who has ever said that?

Does FVV need to be on the ball all the time to be able to develop his on the ball game?

And yeah, who cares whether they win basketball games...

Using Pascal is a hilarious example. I don't recall the team forcefeeding Pascal the ball when he hadn't developed those skills yet. I recall them sending him to the G-League to expand his game. I recall them letting him thrive in his ideal role beside creators like Lowry and Kawhi while his game naturally developed and he gradually took on more responsibility in the offence as his skill set progressed. That does indeed seem like a smart way to do it, and to have worked wonderfully. What a nice example you brought up to contrast with the way FVV has too often been used, thank you for that.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Benjamins always speak loudly, but Fred seems more like a family guy than most NBA players. His kids and family are here, he likes it here and he doesn't seem like a guy that wants to uproot hi family. He may explore but Raps will have a chance to match/keep him. But not for $25-30M to me that's a highly suspect/plant figure.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        The $25/$30M rumour is crazy. That's borderline max money there. Which team have that kind of cap space, that could also use an upgrade at PG? Mock drafts are speculating that the top half of the lottery will be filled with point guards too.

Hope Masai is looking at Fred like Biyombo. If Fred can get the $25M contract, all the power to him. I think he can be our PG "of the future".. but not at that figure. Love the guy but that's way too much for me. Was thinking max $20M.. I mean Brogdon got $85/4. Brogdon is better.. and there is a chance the salary cap drops with all the China crap that happened, and the TV viewership shrinking.
                        Dallas needs more knockdown shooters around Doncic, but they're capped out. I could see a sign & trade for Tim Hardaway Jr's 2021 expiring contract (20M) + another asset, or whoever they pick in the 1st round next year.

Comment

Dallas needs more knockdown shooters around Doncic, but they're capped out. I could see a sign & trade for Tim Hardaway Jr's 2021 expiring contract (20M) + another asset, or whoever they pick in the 1st round next year.
                          Unless Fred has multiple suitors willing to overpay, I doubt Masai plays the SnT game to get him that overpay when he couldn't otherwise. Best case scenario for the Raps is getting Fred to stay on a reasonable deal.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            The $25/$30M rumour is crazy. That's borderline max money there. Which team have that kind of cap space, that could also use an upgrade at PG? Mock drafts are speculating that the top half of the lottery will be filled with point guards too.

I could see them going a little over 20M, if they can get the cheap year in 2021 (say, something like 21M, 19.5M, 21M, 22.5M, 25M). If he's getting 4/100M offers, a 5/110M offer might be competitive. It's a little less AAV, a little more guaranteed money. Depends on how much FVV values cashing in his bet at this point.

But if the offers are closer to 30M, it gets very hard to stay in that discussion. Raptors have a task ahead of them, deciding how likely that sort of offer really is (I think unlikely, but it's hard to say), and whether they want to engage in trade talks if there is a bar they simply won't go over.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Would cock block Dallas from obtaining Giannis. I could see Cuban going after him in 2021 to play with Doncic and Porzingis.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Unless Fred has multiple suitors willing to overpay, I doubt Masai plays the SnT game to get him that overpay when he couldn't otherwise. Best case scenario for the Raps is getting Fred to stay on a reasonable deal.
                                Dallas has a track record of overpaying mid-tier free agents (Parsons, Barnes, DAJ, Matthews, etc...) and they are capped out. This year, they just need to get into the playoffs, but next year there will be more pressure to start building a legit contender around Doncic & Porzingis.

Dallas goes through long stretches of bricking the wide open looks that Luka generates, which will become more frustrating in the playoffs. They also need a second ball-handler in the starting lineup and somebody who can guard PGs.... FVV is the perfect fit. Mavs were also going to give Danny Green a big offer, according to him.... another overpay.

Comment

Working...
                                X