Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I love hearing players like Beal and Dame talk about staying with their team because their loyal when really all they want is getting that bag. If they cared about winning they would have left a long time ago. I'm not even mad at them either. Get that generational wealth.
    I disagree with this take. Sure the money is nice, but I'm sure there are players who are loyal and want to win a championship with their team, but the front office decisions make it difficult. Could they leave and chase a championship? Sure, but there is something special about staying with a team and winning for that city. Look at Dirk and the Mavs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yep. Live sports has a competitive advantage due to the real-time element. Because of video-on-demand, there's less content these days where the advertiser actually knows exactly when the target market is viewing the ads. Not sure how valuable that is to them, but these numbers are giving an indication. And then there's all the extra 24/7 spin-off content and TMZ pop-culture interest that the NBA generates more than other sports. And to top it all off, there's the NBA's expanding global market reach which is really valuable to brands trying to unify their global brand messaging.
      As part of my job I run CTV ads and it's incredibly hard to get in front of affluent customers because they all opt for the non ad supported versions of streaming. Sports is the only thing where they don't offer non ad supported broadcasts and you can get in front of the people willing to spend $10 / month to not see ads. Most CTV inventory is on crap like Plex and the people watching Plex don't have much disposable income.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

SO just so we're clear, staying with team = greedy, looking for the bag. Leaving team = disloyal, looking for the ring
        I wouldn't say greedy, but they aren't sticking with perpetually garbage teams because they thought they were going going to win there.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I disagree with this take. Sure the money is nice, but I'm sure there are players who are loyal and want to win a championship with their team, but the front office decisions make it difficult. Could they leave and chase a championship? Sure, but there is something special about staying with a team and winning for that city. Look at Dirk and the Mavs.
          Mavs were a 50 win team for how many years? I'm referring to teams like the Blazers and Wiz that have been awful forever.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Mavs were a 50 win team for how many years? I'm referring to teams like the Blazers and Wiz that have been awful forever.
            Have the Blazers been awful forever? They had 8 straight playoff appearances and made the western conference finals in 2019. That doesn't sound awful to me.

Wizards have been awful forever I give you that one.

Comment

Keeping Beal will not be good for Washington. He's part of their "identity" alright, their identity is that they consistently suck.
              For the most part they've always sucked. He's one of the best players they've had in a while. Who's been more impactful for them the last 20 years? He's second all time in scoring for them. If you say someone like Gilbert Arenas, then that was very short lived.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                I like Freddy, but this game, and any other game he doesn't suit up for, could be quite telling how the Raptors look at the summer.

Freddy is a huge component of the leadership on this team. That being said, if the 6'9 1-5 line-up works in the playoffs, the writing could be on the wall.
                So how do you think that might play out if they moved on? Who are they bringing in to replace him?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

So how do you think that might play out if they moved on? Who are they bringing in to replace him?
                  SGA
                  or
                  RJ Barrett

( I don't know how )

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

SGA
                    or
                    RJ Barrett
                    I would love SGA but he is going to be tough to get

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

RJ would be my vote ... fournier is on a bad contract but he plays good enough to contribute on the bench.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

loyalty exists but only to a point.... because if they were truly loyal they would take less to help their teams build.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                          Bradley Beal is 28.
                          We aren't competing for the chip anytime soon.

Bring SGA home, Masai!
                          or Barrett.
                          The window to compete is 23/24 in terms of when it officially will start.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

RJ would be my vote ... fournier is on a bad contract but he plays good enough to contribute on the bench.
                            I know some people here don't really value intangibles and locker room leadership, but Fred and I guess thad are really only 2 leader type guys we have. Maybe scottie gets there but he's 20. I don't think swapping Fred for RJ would be good for the locker room confidence or the development of our young guys.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I know some people here don't really value intangibles and locker room leadership, but Fred and I guess thad are really only 2 leader type guys we have. Maybe scottie gets there but he's 20. I don't think swapping Fred for RJ would be good for the locker room confidence or the development of our young guys.
                              Fred chucking shots isn't a good example to our young guys.
                              He sure has that alpha mentality, just can't back it up.

Scottie can be the leader this team needs.
                              And sometimes great players look elsewhere for mentorship, like what Gary Payton did to Giannis.

Comment

I value lockerroom stuff. I think Scottie has already stepped up A LOT as a lockerroom guy. He is very vocal on the floor as a communicator. Thad is also a vet.

I will just reiterate I think that Fred is good but I just want him on this team on a different role. My desire to trade him is an IF. It hinges on whether or not he would accept a different role. If he is willing to accept then I am 100% for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X