Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Fred playing long minutes through the regular season and then playing hurt in the playoffs seems to be a theme with this team. I think this year has shown that there are other players that can take on some of the PG role and Fred should be moved essentially off ball. He has a tougher time against long, athletic teams, and should be used strategically. As a perimeter player who is healthy, he creates a ton of opportunity for the rest of the team, and I would like to see him minimize his drives to ones where he has a wind open path. He is too valuable to be hurt as often as he is so I would love to see his role change if that would eliminate some of the wear and tear.
    I think with Pascal and Barnes, this is inevitable anyway. Fred's simply going to be more off ball. He took a huge load early in the season when Pascal was out and no bench player could do anything of value, and it sounds like he's been fighting these injuries most of the season, so it's not a huge leap to suggest that was when he overdid it and started developing these things that he played through, not unlike the year DeRozan went down and Lowry carried the team for a month and was messed up the rest of the way.

Like even this season, Fred's usage+AST% pre-all-star was 52%, post-all-star was 44%. He'll naturally step back with his role as others take on bigger ones.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think with Pascal and Barnes, this is inevitable anyway. Fred's simply going to be more off ball. He took a huge load early in the season when Pascal was out and no bench player could do anything of value, and it sounds like he's been fighting these injuries most of the season, so it's not a huge leap to suggest that was when he overdid it and started developing these things that he played through, not unlike the year DeRozan went down and Lowry carried the team for a month and was messed up the rest of the way.

Like even this season, Fred's usage+AST% pre-all-star was 52%, post-all-star was 44%. He'll naturally step back with his role as others take on bigger ones.
      he partially took a step back because he got injured too. It was going to happen but it sped up the process but people who were mad earlier in the season about anyone suggesting that pascal or barnes should be taking on more of the ball handling duties are now shifting towards are now shifting.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Boo you, I strongly suggest you should do more research before you make absolute statements like this….

Nick Nurse run 7.5% pick and roll plays (top 4) during their Championship year with Lowry as the primary guard and Van Vleet as the bench guy

Fast forward to today, Raptors are bottom 4 in the league in Pick n Roll plays (4.4% frequency).

Your statement above should apply more to the Warriors and Steve Kerr who seldom uses PnR plays ever since.

that being said….Nick Nurse is a very innovative coach but he is only as good as his top Ward on the floor.

Van Vleet just does not have skills to consistently and perfectly do it.
        Claw pointed it out first.

I was patient throughout the season and watched but was concerned.
        Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Tue Apr 26, 2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Comments I made throughout the season.

Precious not being able to finish a lob is actually becoming concerning (for this season). It is something you work on in the off-season. Working on mid air balance and core strength, and feel and body awareness.

I hate to say it but with regards to fred I do partly agree with the claw reborn. That is to say that fred isn't the guy and does ball hog. Are these things that work themselves out? I am more patient than most and I am fine seeing if they do. I honestly think rushing Scottie to be the man is rushing to make dumb mistakes from an asset management and team building standpoint. I think you can put Scottie into higher usage roles throughout the season and watch it slowly creep up without having to trade away two of your top 4 players 20 games into this kids career. I think These are off season moves. Unless something that is a YOU CANT MISS THIS TRADE comes up.. Like let's be honest. Trading away picks is a bad move so no trade will be to move up and acquire talent at this point. A move to trade back ... how far back can we go? I mean can we really catch up to the likes of the real tanking crew? I personally don't think so.

I think its too early to make any decisions.

Fred for his short comings of slowing the offence down and looking off guys sometimes has improved this year and there have been times where he has kept us in games and afloat offensively.

So II think the team has been rolling as of late. One issue that I still have and want to point out is this. I still think fred takes way too many shots. He shouldn't be taking almost 30 shots in a game especially if he is only going to be scoring 30 points. I like his floor spacing but that is the type of thing that worries me about him long term on the team. Also his quote about being the best guy on the team whether he is right or wrong. I don't know exactly how to interpret it. On one hand, you like guys to be confident without question. On the other hand, it comes across as overly arrogant.

I do like how they are trying to secretly get the ball out of Fred's hands more and more and turn him into a Klay type. It is still his best skill. In my opinion, as of late Fred has been playing at an all star level but I think that if you dig into the numbers our best player on the court isn't fred as much as our broad cast team has been hyping him up as such.

Not saying he is trash or anything but I don't see that same energy for other players on the roster who have also been cooking.

I don't think he is fully finished. I think he has physical limitations that will limit his ceiling. You can't teach height. I am actually in favor of keeping fred. I just think long-term fred either becomes a full-time SG or gets traded because his contract is going to continue to be a great contract and he will continue to outproduce his contract. That is really as simple as I can make it.

Time to shift him into that role starting when ever he gets back.

Comment

• When the Raps face a pressure defense like that of the Celtic's, you're probably not going to want the ball in the hands of Siakam as much as he has it against some other teams. It's a huge benefit and pressure release to have a guy like Fred against a team like Boston because Siakam's handles can be shaky at times especially when pressured. Really that is the benefit of this system where all guys can handle the ball, create for themselves and others.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              When the Raps face a pressure defense like that of the Celtic's, you're probably not going to want the ball in the hands of Siakam as much as he has it against some other teams. It's a huge benefit and pressure release to have a guy like Fred against a team like Boston because Siakam's handles can be shaky at times especially when pressured. Really that is the benefit of this system where all guys can handle the ball, create for themselves and others.
              He's gonna be hounded by the DPOY, but yeah we need every single body against that defense.

Comment

When the Raps face a pressure defense like that of the Celtic's, you're probably not going to want the ball in the hands of Siakam as much as he has it against some other teams. It's a huge benefit and pressure release to have a guy like Fred against a team like Boston because Siakam's handles can be shaky at times especially when pressured. Really that is the benefit of this system where all guys can handle the ball, create for themselves and others.
                I believe in this team but lets be honest... we gotta get to the ECFs FIRST lol.

It's a huge benefit and pressure release to have a guy like Fred against a team like Boston

third guy down on the chart sounds PERFECT.

Comment

• imo...barnes would be fine aginst a less than 100 percent lowry/oladipo.....trae/kyrie/steph/ja....not so much.....if the raptors cuodl get to miami i think they shuodl bring fvv off teh bench

Comment

• gambler wrote: View Post
                    imo...barnes would be fine aginst a less than 100 percent lowry/oladipo.....trae/kyrie/steph/ja....not so much.....if the raptors cuodl get to miami i think they shuodl bring fvv off teh bench
                    if vanvleet is healthy then we can have the conversation then.

Comment

Thankfully, we'd get Miami next, a team I think we match up well against.
                      But let's not get ahead of ourselves, game 6 is all that matters right now

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Thankfully, we'd get Miami next, a team I think we match up well against.
                        But let's not get ahead of ourselves, game 6 is all that matters right now
                        For sure, Boston is just an example not referring to this year's playoffs.

Comment

• Is Boston that good or are the Nets that bad? Round 2 will be fun, and I'm glad we can't be the team that has to find out the answer to that question.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                            Is Boston that good or are the Nets that bad? Round 2 will be fun, and I'm glad we can't be the team that has to find out the answer to that question.
                            Boston is that good. If we ignored the age old rules about "a top 5 player to win it all" or media bias etc and just looked at the stats, Boston is easily the best team in the nba and should be considered the title favorite. But I get it, I can't get my ahead around Tatum and brown leading a team to the title either.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              Is Boston that good or are the Nets that bad? Round 2 will be fun, and I'm glad we can't be the team that has to find out the answer to that question.
                              Boston might be good enough to win it all.

Tatum has reached another level.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Boston is that good. If we ignored the age old rules about "a top 5 player to win it all" or media bias etc and just looked at the stats, Boston is easily the best team in the nba and should be considered the title favorite. But I get it, I can't get my ahead around Tatum and brown leading a team to the title either.
                                Let's see what Giannis has to say about that. I'm not ready to crown Boston anything until they take down the defending champs. Nets were pretenders.

Comment

Working...
                                X