Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Or, and here's an idea, I just disagree with your posts on their merit. I'm sure that never crossed your mind.

Of course teams value players differently, both in terms of fit on their team and in terms of errors in their evaluation of a player's true value. That is true in trade as well as free agency, which is why assuming a player's value is aligned with their trade market is silly. Heck, trade markets can change just depending on what teams have what assets available to them and are going in which direction at the time of the trade. There's almost nothing more fluid.
    As long as you stick to disagreeing with what I actually post and not what I didn't....we're good.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

As long as you stick to disagreeing with what I actually post and not what I didn't....we're good.
      Good, that's what I did. "The market sets his value so there's really no under or over." That's what you said, and the paraphrase I followed with (no player can be over or underpaid) is the logical equivalent, which is what I was trying to point out to you (because you likely would disagree with that logical equivalent, as you seemed to, and I hoped that would make you re-examine your statement rather than crying strawman).
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
          Mine is way better…

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Good, that's what I did. "The market sets his value so there's really no under or over." That's what you said, and the paraphrase I followed with (no player can be over or underpaid) is the logical equivalent, which is what I was trying to point out to you (because you likely would disagree with that logical equivalent, as you seemed to, and I hoped that would make you re-examine your statement rather than crying strawman).
            But see what you just said in the above post is a way more clear way of phrasing your response than just saying "no player is ever overpaid or underpaid in your opinion". But if you say: "you think X, therefore it seems you should think Y (being that "no player can be over or underpaid in a free agency setting") it would be a lot easier to follow and probably come off as less combative.

Like for example in the post you're talking about G__Deane was talking about the market for someone in a trade, not free agency, and then you applied what he was saying to free agency it seems? But you didn't say so and just made a statement that sounded like a silly argument, even if maybe it fit into what G__Deane was saying, sort of, if applied to free agency.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

But see what you just said in the above post is a way more clear way of phrasing your response than just saying "no player is ever overpaid or underpaid in your opinion". But if you say: "you think X, therefore it seems you should think Y (being that "no player can be over or underpaid in a free agency setting") it would be a lot easier to follow and probably come off as less combative.

Like for example in the post you're talking about G__Deane was talking about the market for someone in a trade, not free agency, and then you applied what he was saying to free agency it seems? But you didn't say so and just made a statement that sounded like a silly argument, even if maybe it fit into what G__Deane was saying, sort of, if applied to free agency.

This is something that I tried to outline in the past. I think you did it more concisely. Often times it isn't just what you say but how one says it
              Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Sat Nov 5, 2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I'm just imagining KD replacing Gary in our starting lineup from the past 2 games and that's a very scary team. Gary playing awesome makes the trade a bit more realistic.
                this is what I have dreamed of

Comment

• Fred off the bench would be a solid idea if he is open to it and assuming that we are willing to give him the same money regardless. On a different team it may not be a question but ... our team is constructed in a unique way ... and with someone like Scottie who is showing the potential to be the PG of the future long and with Fred's body breaking down it may be beneficial to slowly massage that conversation.

The alternate path way is wait for the nets to combust and try to use Fred and Trent and picks to snag KD or really go for Shai.

I want to get as close to positionless as possible. Fred playing say 28-30 minutes off the bench is nothing to snuff at he would still play major minutes but the decrease may be enough for us to get optimal on court production not just during the year but also in the playoffs.

While this isn't a Trent thread I just mentioned him in a potential FVV trade. Trent and Fred both offer spacing to the starting line up. The thing is, Fred is an undersized player especially when playing an optimal and defined role of the off guard tertiary playmaker in the starting line up and the skill set is some what redundant with Trent. That said, Fred is a much smarter offensive decision maker overall than Fred. Maybe that changes overtime. However, if you can consolidate the salary and those two players into one that does what they do and also offers a more dynamic offensive weapon while giving you a certain floor defensively then you should go for it.

KD, and Shai are potential candidates in that area. Others may come available or present themselves but those are the two I see right now.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                    Fred off the bench would be a solid idea if he is open to it and assuming that we are willing to give him the same money regardless. On a different team it may not be a question but ... our team is constructed in a unique way ... and with someone like Scottie who is showing the potential to be the PG of the future long and with Fred's body breaking down it may be beneficial to slowly massage that conversation.

The alternate path way is wait for the nets to combust and try to use Fred and Trent and picks to snag KD or really go for Shai.

I want to get as close to positionless as possible. Fred playing say 28-30 minutes off the bench is nothing to snuff at he would still play major minutes but the decrease may be enough for us to get optimal on court production not just during the year but also in the playoffs.

While this isn't a Trent thread I just mentioned him in a potential FVV trade. Trent and Fred both offer spacing to the starting line up. The thing is, Fred is an undersized player especially when playing an optimal and defined role of the off guard tertiary playmaker in the starting line up and the skill set is some what redundant with Trent. That said, Fred is a much smarter offensive decision maker overall than Fred. Maybe that changes overtime. However, if you can consolidate the salary and those two players into one that does what they do and also offers a more dynamic offensive weapon while giving you a certain floor defensively then you should go for it.

KD, and Shai are potential candidates in that area. Others may come available or present themselves but those are the two I see right now.
                    Yes FGA and FTA evens out the MP, thus his USG% is low but the high minutes played is still worrisome. Going up and down the court in high pressure situations can be taxing for his body.

That being said, having him come off the bench would control his minutes. I don’t mind him increase his usage% off the bench because his field goal attempts would be needed to anchor the mob. The reduced minutes would balance it out. He would thrive with Precious/ Boucher/ Otto with Banton. He would be their most reliable outside threat from outside while those guys are doing their 6’9” thing lol.

On the flip side….that would take him out of the equation as another offensive player who would take possessions off Scottie and Pascal. Also allowing Koloko to be more of that defensive deterrent in the middle. OG and Trent as I mentioned knows who are the two top dogs.

As I stated on some of my posts, this conversation would be something Masai may have to get involved, it would definitely be a hard sell for him and his agent.

Another option, him getting traded is another discussion before the deadline especially with the contract that is still up in the air.

There is a possibility based on the most recent comments by KD that he may approach Joe Tsai again or maybe the Nets would just give up and cut their losses so to speak.

Comment

• I like the idea of an all big lineup, but at the same time freddy is cornerstone of the franchise success and was an all star last year, also seems silly to dismiss his value.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Yes FGA and FTA evens out the MP, thus his USG% is low but the high minutes played is still worrisome. Going up and down the court in high pressure situations can be taxing for his body.

That being said, having him come off the bench would control his minutes. I don’t mind him increase his usage% off the bench because his field goal attempts would be needed to anchor the mob. The reduced minutes would balance it out. He would thrive with Precious/ Boucher/ Otto with Banton. He would be their most reliable outside threat from outside while those guys are doing their 6’9” thing lol.

On the flip side….that would take him out of the equation as another offensive player who would take possessions off Scottie and Pascal. Also allowing Koloko to be more of that defensive deterrent in the middle. OG and Trent as I mentioned knows who are the two top dogs.

As I stated on some of my posts, this conversation would be something Masai may have to get involved, it would definitely be a hard sell for him and his agent.

Another option, him getting traded is another discussion before the deadline especially with the contract that is still up in the air.

There is a possibility based on the most recent comments by KD that he may approach Joe Tsai again or maybe the Nets would just give up and cut their losses so to speak.

I think KD in a Raptors uni will bring his energy back, hopefully regain his GSW form.
                        He is probably dealing with too much non-basketball related stuff right now.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

I think KD in a Raptors uni will bring his energy back, hopefully regain his GSW form.
                          He is probably dealing with too much non-basketball related stuff right now.
                          That plus he'll have a legit star to play with, a borderline All-star and an upcoming star as well, which will make his game easier. Kyrie is great but he has been a part time player last few seasons along with all of his off court stuff.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

That plus he'll have a legit star to play with, a borderline All-star and an upcoming star as well, which will make his game easier. Kyrie is great but he has been a part time player last few seasons along with all of his off court stuff.
                            Not possible, I already sent Masai a text message vetoing any nets trade.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

Dan appears to like arguing down self-created rabbit holes but declaring he's on the surface.
                              I'm not here to argue....

Comment

• Couldn't see the game thread tonight -- which is just fine by me. May the Raps go streaking.

Just tuning in to say hope y'all putting some respect on this man's name.

Comment

Working...
                                X