No announcement yet.

Everything VanVleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been trying to be devils advocate on freds behalf but damn, theres just no defending the absolute WORST fg% in the entire nba haha.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

Got any suggestions?
      suggestions? i think he can still turn it around. maybe he'll re-sign for 2+1 year team option (although he'll obviously look for more).

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
        been trying to be devils advocate on freds behalf but damn, theres just no defending the absolute WORST fg% in the entire nba haha.
        You tried your best sir

Comment

• Called it a year ago, but this is a situation where you hate to say "I was right"....

golden wrote: View Post
          People don't appreciate how much the business side of sports dominates choices on the court. Fred really, really wanted to be an all-star this year... so playing 40MPG allowed him to pump up his raw stats leading up to the all-star selection. He mentioned something about how 18-6 is now considered a 'bad night' when you're an all-star, so he's very conscious of his own stats. He achieved his all-star goal and now his all-star pedigree is going to factor into his next contract, for which he will be looking for the max.

Over-playing Fred also helped Nurse get some wins, rather than give bench guys more development minutes. It's a win-win from a personal career / business standpoint and both Nurse and Fred, who have both talked openly about the importance of business aspect of basketball.

Time will tell if we can dodge the bullet or if this becomes another Thibs-Rose situation.

Comment

• I wish we just had a team that would play together the whole game. Had there been no injuries and more push towards sharing the ball vs individual stats, the stats would have taken care of themselves.

Comment

• Van Vleet questionable tonight (back)

Comment

• Good game for Barnes to get more reps leading the offense and for Flynn to get some run.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                  Van Vleet questionable tonight (back)
                  Hmmm. Notice that Fred often sits after he has a particularly bad shooting game? Why did he play the game in the first place? If it's Alex McKechnie's or whoever else's job to get him ready to play games at the level he's accustomed to, then you've got to add them to the questionable list too.

Not saying his chronic injuries aren't a valid excuse for his dramatic drop off in performance since the all-star game last year; but it definitely helps to control the media narrative of "poor Fred... it's not his fault Nurse ran him into the ground". Not really sure if that hurts or helps him in his next contract negotiations.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Hmmm. Notice that Fred often sits after he has a particularly bad shooting game? Why did he play the game in the first place? If it's Alex McKechnie's or whoever else's job to get him ready to play games at the level he's accustomed to, then you've got to add them to the questionable list too.

Not saying his chronic injuries aren't a valid excuse for his dramatic drop off in performance since the all-star game last year; but it definitely helps to control the media narrative of "poor Fred... it's not his fault Nurse ran him into the ground". Not really sure if that hurts or helps him in his next contract negotiations.
                    What incentive do you think the media has to push that narrative? If anything the media sides with management to stay in their good graces, so I would think they'd be on the anti-player side of things.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

What incentive do you think the media has to push that narrative? If anything the media sides with management to stay in their good graces, so I would think they'd be on the anti-player side of things.
                      After almost a decade of Kyle Lowry being a d*ckhead to the media, Fred is like manna from heaven.

He gives them thoughtful insights, player access and quotes that they can use. He helps them do their job. Bobby gives nothing but generic sound bites and Masai gives them rallying cries.

Comment

helps to maintain player relationships

Comment

• Time for you to go.

Comment

Hurts or helps him? Whether we trade or keep him we’re damaging our own goods - hurts us. If he was shooting 75% would he have sat? Sorry I dont know whats in his mind this is merely speculation but my sense is hes playing injured not because the team needs him but for his contract. I think hes hanging by a thread physically. As someone mentioned that charlotte game wudda been a perfect rest game for him. Instead we have this. Frustrating

Comment

After almost a decade of Kyle Lowry being a d*ckhead to the media, Fred is like manna from heaven.

He gives them thoughtful insights, player access and quotes that they can use. He helps them do their job. Bobby gives nothing but generic sound bites and Masai gives them rallying cries.
                              I dunno, you're alienating the management by making them look bad. The media guys all know the chain of command and who will be around long after the player is gone.

Comment

Almost without exception, the media sides with the star players, not management. They're the ones most wanted for sound clips and interviews and clicks.

Comment

Working...
                                X