Legacy League match 15 Cody vs 007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy League match 15 Cody vs 007

The legacy league was created to pit teams drafted by fellow RR members against each other and allow the general RR populous to vote on who would win this winner take all, single elimination game if all players were at their peak performance.

Each team drafted a 10 man roster. Each team provided a gameplan justification as to why they believe they should get your vote. Each team is allowed 1 post for "in game adjustments." The role of RR community is simple, vote for who you believe should win. Post justification if you want (encouraged) and weigh the pros and cons for all to see, but ultimately, your vote decides who will win this tournament of legends.

Cody vs 007

Cody73 Starters:

Magic Johnson

Vince Carter

Peja Stojakovic

Pau Gasol

Moses Malone

Bench:

Kevin Johnson

Doug Christie

John Havlicek

Dave Cowens

Mark Eaton

Gameplan:

Time to get serious here. Both my matchups have led me to look like a failure as a coach. Now it's time to bring out the big guns.

I really want to run a 2-in, 3-out system wth Pau in the high post and Moses banging down low. Think the early 00's Kings system.... which both Christie and Peja have experience running.

This system fits my team to a tee. Once again we'll use the nickel defense..... it's a solid mix that shuts down guys and puts focus on main targets.

007 STARTING LINEUP

PG: Jason Kidd – 6 time All-NBA, 9 time All-Defensive team. 5 time assists leader. Only player in NBA history with 15,000 points, 10,000 assists and 7,000 rebounds

SG: Chauncey Billups – 3 time All-NBA, 2 time All-Defensive team. NBA Finals MVP, over 42% 3PT shooter at his peak

SF: Scottie Pippen – 7 time All-NBA, 10 time All-Defensive team. NBA steals leader, one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time

PF: Elvin Hayes – 6 time All-NBA, 2 time All-Defensive team. 2 time rebounding champion and NBA scoring champion (as a rookie)

C: Wilt Chamberlain – 4 time MVP, 10 time All-NBA. 7 time scoring champion and 11 time rebounding champion. 100 point game. One of the greatest players of all time

BENCH

Bob Cousy – MVP, 12 time All-NBA. 8 time assists leader, 6 time champion

Jeff Hornacek – 2 time 3PT contest winner, 44% 3PT shooter at his peak

Bernard King – 4 time All-NBA, NBA scoring champion

Dennis Rodman – 2 time All-NBA, 2 time DPOY, 8 time All-Defensive team. 7 time rebounding champion, one of the greatest rebounders and defenders of all time

Robert Parish – 2 time All-NBA, 4 time champion. NBA all-time leader in games played

Cody does not have anyone who can match up with Chamberlain. Wilt will destroy Cowens, Malone and Gasol, and Eaton's defense is negated by a complete lack of offensive ability and Wilt's freakish athleticism. Kidd will guard Johnson and Pippen will guard Magic, both of them sagging because neither Johnson can shoot, allowing them to pack the paint to go with Wilt's great defense. Magic will always have either Pippen or Rodman on him, giving him no breaks and shutting down Cody's playmaking, leaving only Kevin Johnson (with the bigger Kidd on him) as a playmaking source. Pippen and King have size on Havlicek, and my wings will target Stojackovic on offence, taking him and most of Cody's three point shooting out of the game. We will use a "twin towers" duo of Wilt and Parish for some stretches to punish Cody's lack of frontcourt size.

What Magic will facing:

In Game Adjustments - Coming Soon!

So RR faithful, who wins this game?
    Cody
    66.67%
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

I find Cody's zone hybrid defence difficult to accept as a legit option against this quality of opponents. That said, 007 is probably one of the more suitable opponents for it since his 3P shooting isn't great.

Moses doesn't seem a great option to defend Wilt but Cody lacks options. A stretch big for 007 would really help prevent Wilt double-teams but no one fits the bill.

Need to see more before I vote but leaning 007 currently.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Wilt's got 3 inch, 15 pound and huge athleticism advantage over Malone. No contest on offence or on the boards. Stojakovic will be targeted on offence by Pippen. When we go with Wilt-Parish (who can give Chamberlain space with jumpers) Cody has no answer on defense or on the glass.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

In game adjustments: Magic gets moved up front, KJ, Hondo & Christie come into the game. Doug guards Scottie.

Yeah, 007 has size. I wanted to go small with my group. I have the better team in terms of shooting and playmaking, so we'll use screens and hold him out to the perimeter.
        Axel wrote:
        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
        KeonClark wrote:
        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
        KeonClark wrote:
        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
          In game adjustments: Magic gets moved up front, KJ, Hondo & Christie come into the game. Doug guards Scottie.

Yeah, 007 has size. I wanted to go small with my group. I have the better team in terms of shooting and playmaking, so we'll use screens and hold him out to the perimeter.
          I don't see better shooting especially if Peja comes out and Christie and the inept from deep KJ go in. Honestly think the best lineup for this would have been Magic, Vince, Havlicek, Peja, Paul - then there is a clear playmaking advantage and probably better shooting. But KJ kills all spacing and takes the ball out of your best weapon's hands (Magic). Your gameplan is very sparse leaving a lot to be desired.

Going to have to vote 007 here although I think a win could have been possible here depending on how voters weigh playmaking advantage vs rebounding advantage.

Comment

Cody finally used the Starting Lineup I wanted him to. Lol

I'm leaning Cody here, as I think he's got some nice pieces to play some uptempo ball, and I thin Pippen>Peja, and Wilt>Moses is the only real advantage for 007. And with Eaton offering his beastly frame, Wilt might actually have someone bigger than him on the court, for the first time ever? Lol

Good match up though!

Comment

I vote 007. His bigs have a huge advantage and Elvin Hayes would destroy anyone Cody threw at him.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                Cody finally used the Starting Lineup I wanted him to. Lol
                !
                I think Havlicek is likely his 2nd best player after Magic, so to have him on the bench just doesn't make sense to me. Problem with Havlicek is that he is from a prehistoric era without 3P stats; he needs to be coached up to the general population. Magic and Havlicek would offer a dynamic duo of play makers. Peja at PF would work in some matchups (I think this is one of them) but Cowens is another that needs to be coached up to really impact the votes. Lots of words left in the playbook that weren't used for no reason. Could have made the difference. My vote is firmly for 007. The GP is just as important as the players when all the teams are this stacked.

Comment

Cody's team doesn't look like they'll play much defense, but offense might be near unguardable.

007 should have a great defense. It has a bunch of good defenders everywhere, and on top of that Kidd and Pippen were the type of defenders who made teammates better defensively with their communication, defensive leadership. There are a lot of good defensive parts and the sum would be even greater than these parts!

Such different teams.

From what I saw Elvin Hayes was a major black hole, just taking mid range contested turnarounds. The ball stopped with him, and he wasn't an efficient offensive player. I think he basically hurts an offense. Plus Hayes supposedly was a bad teammate.

I'm not convinced that Wilt dominates Moses here. Moses was strong, quick, compact, balanced. He has a lower center of gravity, which is always hard to move for a taller guy, and he threw his body around all the time, great motor and very tough.
                  Wilt is taller and longer, but Moses from what i've seen is way quicker and just more intense. I don't know, it would be an interesting battle to see, but I really enjoyed watching Moses in the few games I've seen.

It's hard to judge Wilt, what's his prime? There were so many different versions of Wilt, depending on which NBA record he was trying to break that year. All those versions got worse in the playoffs vs. good defenses. Free throw rate dropped to career 46.5% in the playoffs. People would probably hack-a-Wilt a lot nowadays.

As far as gameplans, I didn't like Cody's going small in adjustments too much, but then I didn't mind it too much either. I think you could make a case for various combinations with this roster.

I think 007's plan to sag off Magic could backfire, he can make shots, or he might just move closer and post up. Prime Magic is arguably late 80s, when he was even shooting 3s. But even young Magic had solid range, just not 3pt range. I think offensively Magic doesn't really have any weaknesses that can be exploited.
                  Last edited by BobLoblaw; Thu Jul 28, 2016, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X