Legacy knockout BobLoblaw vs Apollo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy knockout BobLoblaw vs Apollo

The legacy league was created to pit teams drafted by fellow RR members against each other and allow the general RR populous to vote on who would win this winner take all, single elimination game if all players were at their peak performance.

Each team drafted a 10 man roster. Each team provided a gameplan justification as to why they believe they should get your vote. Each team is allowed 1 post for "in game adjustments." The role of RR community is simple, vote for who you believe should win. Post justification if you want (encouraged) and weigh the pros and cons for all to see, but ultimately, your vote decides who will win this tournament of legends.

Bobloblaw vs Apollo

BobLoblaw Lineup

g Penny Hardaway; 1995 NBA finals: 25.5pt, 8ast, 5rb, .500 FG%, .458 3P%
    g Kobe Bryant
    f Kawhi Leonard
    f Kevin McHale, 6 time all defense, the only player in history to average 25+ points on .600+ FG%
    c David Robinson, DPOY, MVP

Reserves

6th man: Nate tiny Archibald, the only player in history to lead the league in scoring and assists in the same season
    g Brandon Roy
    g/f Chris Mullin
    stretch big: Bob McAdoo, MVP 1975
    D big: Dikembe Mutombo, 4 time DPOY

Defense:

We should defend them pretty well. We have Robinson and Mutombo to throw at Shaq. We have tall and athletic perimeter defenders to bother Curry and company.

In David Robinson's prime, he outplayed Shaq more often than not. He's strong, tall and super athletic. McHale helps with freak wingspan.

Athletic defense team. We're starting 4 All-defense players, and the shortest starter is Kobe at 6'6.

Offense:

Triangle-ish system. We have 3 big perimeter players who can all post up, rotate positions, shoot, pass. Apollo's perimeter won't have much defense.

A lot of Penny and Brandon Roy pick and roll too, with Robinson and other athletes exploding to the rim.

Shaq struggled defensively with pick and roll and stepping outside. Robinson is a shooting threat and great pick setter and finisher, so we will take advantage of Shaq's weaknesses.

We will also attack in transition -- lots of speed and athleticism.

APOLLO STARTING LINEUP

PG - Steph Curry, 3x All-Star, 2x MVP
    (2015-16 GSW Season: 30.1 PPG, 4.6 REB, 6.7 AST, 2.1 STL, 31.5 PER)

SG - Mitch Richmond, 6x All-Star, ROY, HOF
    (1996-97 SAC Season: 25.9 PPG, 3.9 REB, 4.2 AST, 1.5 STL, 21.6 PER)

SF - Rick Barry, 12x All-Star, Finals MVP, ROY, HOF
    (1974-75 GSW Season: 30.6 PPG, 4.6 REB, 6.2 AST, 2.9 STL, 23.5 PER)

PF - Karl Malone, 14x All-Star, 2x MVP, HOF
    (1989-90 UTA Season: 31.0 PPG, 11.1 REB, 2.8 AST, 1.5 STL, 0.6 BLK, 27.2 PER)

C - Shaquille O'Neal, 15x All-Star, 1x MVP, 3x Finals MVP, ROY, HOF
    (1999-00 LAL Season: 29.7 PPG, 13.6 REB, 3.8 AST, 0.5 STL, 3.0 BLK, 30.6 PER)

6 - Dominique Wilkins, 9x All-Star, HOF
    (1985-86 ATL Season: 30.3 PPG, 7.9 REB, 2.6 AST, 1.8 STL, 0.6 BLK, 23.3 PER)

7 - DeMarcus Cousins, 2x NBA All-Star
    (2015-16 SAC Season: 26.9 PPG, 11.5 REB, 3.3 AST, 1.6 STL, 1.4 BLK, 23.6 PER)

8 - Tony Parker, 5x All-Star, Finals MVP
    (2008-09 SAS Season: 22.0 PPG, 3.1 REB, 6.9 AST, 0.9 STL, 23.4 PER)

9 - Klay Thompson, 2x All-Star
    (2015-16 GSW Season: 22.1 PPG, 3.8 REB, 2.1 AST, 0.8 STL, 18.6 PER)

10 - LaMarcus Aldridge, 5x All-Star
    (2013-14 POR Season: 23.2 PPG, 11.1 REB, 2.6 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.0 BLK, 21.8 PER)

Apollo Gameplan
    Defense
    We'll run a 2-3 zone and 1-2-2 zone depending on which way they aim to attack us. Both defenses have their strengths and weakness with 2-3 being suited for shutting down the middle and 1-2-2 geared towards shutting down the perimeter. Just looking at Bob's team suggests to me he's going to look to take it inside when ever possible. We as a defense would rather risk dying on the peremter than giving up easy buckets inside.

Offense
    We're going to roll with what got us to this point. We'll utilize the inside out game working off two of the most dominate players in league history: Shaq & Steph. What people fail to remember is that the Mailman did develop a mid range game during his career and we'll need some of that right now. We'll have Rick and Steph sharing play making duties and we'll put Mitch in position for some open three looks. Should the middle be open we may bring in Nique and/or Parker to try and get after it in the paint and get some easy fouls.

I don't have any good graphics or stats right now so let's allow Shaq to rap instead:

In Game Adjustments - Coming Soon!

So RR faithful, who wins this game?
    Bobloblaw
    50.00%
    Apollo
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Not sure I agree with running zone against Kobe and Kawhi on the perimeter (plus I've always preferred a 1-3-1 zone) but not sure what Bob plans to do about Steph. In space, I don't think his size helps with that cover defensively and he loses the size battle on the interior.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Strange match up. Neither team really has a pass first point guard. Tough decision.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        not sure what Bob plans to do about Steph. In space, I don't think his size helps with that cover defensively and he loses the size battle on the interior.
        Robinson isn't Shaq sized, but he's 7'1, strong, SF-quick, one of best defenders ever, and in his prime played Shaq pretty well.

Rodman and Ben Wallace were among best defenders on Shaq, so defending Shaq isn't just about bulk.

McHale is taller, longer than Malone.

Kobe/Kawhi on Curry.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          Robinson isn't Shaq sized, but he's 7'1, strong, SF-quick, one of best defenders ever, and in his prime played Shaq pretty well.

Rodman and Ben Wallace were among best defenders on Shaq, so defending Shaq isn't just about bulk.

McHale is taller, longer than Malone.

Kobe/Kawhi on Curry.
          Admiral is big but Shaq is huge. McHale has length but not muscle mass on Malone.

I like Kobe or Kawhi on Curry, leaving the other to guard Barry I assume.

If all this balances out, it comes down to Mitch Richmond vs Penny and the benches. Moving Penny off Curry is a good call.

Comment

As a quarterback Rick Barry led his club to a championship, scoring an MVP. With Kobe and Kawhi fearfully sticking around Curry, Barry can hit Shaq and Malone inside, as well as Mitch and Klay in the corners.

Shaq vs Robinson in the playoffs: (7-4) with 25PPG and 12 REB.
            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Aug 17, 2016, 12:33 PM. Reason: Reduced to fit limit.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              As a quarterback Rick Barry led his club to a championship, scoring an MVP. With Kobe and Kawhi fearfully sticking around Curry, Barry can hit Shaq and Malone inside, as well as Mitch and Klay in the corners.

Shaq vs Robinson in the playoffs: (7-4) with 25PPG and 12 REB.
              1st, that's old, after injuries Robinson 1999-2003,
              2nd, that's peak Shaq, and 25-12 for him was well below his playoff standards.

Before Robinson's injuries in 1997, they played each other about evenly:
              http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=onealsh01

Axel wrote: View Post
              Admiral is big but Shaq is huge. McHale has length but not muscle mass on Malone.

Celtics would use McHale on people from Nique to Patrick Ewing, he was versatile.

Comment

You were just on here complaining that I went over the limit and here you are making extra posts.

Comment

You were just on here complaining that I went over the limit and here you are making extra posts.
                  Check the rules in the main thread, they were changed.

Basically, in addition to what we had before, we now can post 50 words taking turns. You write 50 words, then me, then you, then me.

Comment

Good luck in the vote.

Comment

Good luck in the vote.
                      Good luck!

Comment

Gonna vote Bob. Love his team and I think Apollo's backcourt would really struggle both offensively and defensively. The admiral is about as good as anyone to throw at shaq. At the end of the day, Kobe probably goes off in this one.

Comment

I'll just come out and state clearly here on the record that while I'm pleased by the support, I do not approve Diddy's risky new campaign shirt for Apollo 2016:

Comment

Why am i always the tie breaking vote lately lol. I give it to apollo. but it is close VERY close. I just think the dominance of having Shaq and a bunch of shooters is unbeatable.

Comment

This one was super tough for me .. I went with Apollo, but only by a hair and cuz I had to pick someone.

I feel like Apollos team would have alot of good ball movement, and with Rick Barry playing the Point Forward, thats a bad bad man to have running the team, especially with so many outlets... And Shaq. Lol

I feel like Bobs team, though having some great defenders, and a great team in its own right, would end up relying on 1-on-1 a bit too much, or driving the paint, but if thats the case, then you've got guys like Shaq and Malone down there? Or even DBo? Thats alot of mass to get around.

Good matchup though fellas!!
                              Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 18, 2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X