• Cody73
    replied
    Can I add in a vote?

I'm voting for Bob.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I voted Bob.. Was a tough vote. Went back and forth on this a few times. I really hate Penny next to Kobe.. but I like Bob's bench better and I really hate Ewing.. one of my least favourite players ever. If Zo had started then the vote may have swung.. that's how close it was.
    Thanks for vote! I liked your idea of Brandon Roy at point guard last week. I thought about it, ultimately I stuck with Penny. For one, I just felt he's a bigger name and probably better for votes.

Secondly, Roy's advantage would be 3pt shooting, but I think it's a small part of his game, and he wasn't consistent.

Penny was streaky but passable, teams didn't want to leave him open at 3, and he killed some teams with 3pt shots.

Ultimately I didn't feel like this was a big enough strength for Roy. I don't think either of them was great off the ball spot up shooter, and I think both had to be respected.

In general, I think they are near the same player. Penny was more athletic, more risk taking. Roy was less flashy, more patient, ran much more pick and rolls -- but I think that's an era thing. If both played today, they'd be even more similar.

At heart, both were off the dribble pull up shooters from midrange. Both had monster midrange game. Both had good post game -- great in Penny's case. Both very high IQ, unselfish, great court vision.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Mon Sep 5, 2016, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Good win! Thought your team was super strong right from the get go.
    Thanks man, good game! Despite my trash talk, I think you've built an awesome team. LeBron-Durant is a great combo. Frazier was my draft target at point guard. I trash talked about Ewing a lot, but he's really one of my favorite centers. He had so much heart, toughness. I love players like that. Iverson, Sprewell, Ewing, etc.

Our team survived some really close matchups in this draft. Probably thanks to Kobe's clutch shots!

Also, good back and forth! I think the 50 word format worked really well in this matchup, we managed to say a lot.

In other matchups often 50 words felt like we were just scratching the surface, enough room to repeat many 'thesis', arguments, but never enough room to go into detail. In this matchup it kind of clicked and we both back-and-forth-ed about many aspects one at a time and fleshed out our arguments really well, I think.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Mon Sep 5, 2016, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    Ok, poll is closed at 5-5 and I have a couple write-in votes, so I assume I won.

First of all:

We have worked so hard, so long, we have trained since we were children. Our dreams come true! It's so amazing!

We all having a big party tonight for sure! Except Kobe, who's already back in the gym.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    I'm also not sure, i'm at a family event since yesterday morning and won't be on laptop till later tonight. I think we had a second overtime and it might be over, or might still be happening. Awesome drama for the finals!

Yep, big thanks to Axel! It's been a marathon and some people stuck to the end, some dropped out, but it's been great fun!

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    So I still can't tell what happened here, but I'm assuming Bob took it. Good win! Thought your team was super strong right from the get go.

Big thanks to Axel for setting this up. And congrats to the other players; lotta formidable teams were assemble. Can't believe it's been two months since it started!

Leave a comment:

• koncept
    replied
    very exciting matchup. Lebron in a finals match puts it in that extra gear but peak Kobe gets it done as well in the clutch. I'd have to give the slightest edge to bob

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Stil tied? Can't see on my phone...
    It was 5-5 when I posted.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    I vote Bob.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Still tied up with a few hours left in OT #1.
    Stil tied? Can't see on my phone...

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Still tied up with a few hours left in OT #1.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    This one was super tough for me, since these are the 2 teams that actually beat me this year.

Very close matchup, but I went with Bob by a hair, because I feel like he's got a slight advantage in terms of overall balance, and has definitely the advantage down-low with his big guys.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Mack North wrote: View Post
    A 4-4 tie??? What happens now?
    Overtime of course.

I still struggle to separate the two teams.

Both teams have a guy who is an amazing scorer - Kobe and Durant. Kobe has a well earned reputation for being a ball hog. Durant hasn't gotten that rep but OKC very much ran a my turn your turn offence. Neither guy screams "within the team offence" although Durant might change that narrative in GSW in the future. It's hard to separate Kobe the champion from Kobe the ball hog who forced Shaq out of LA.

I think Bob overrates Penny. He's a classic 90s ISO scorer which is a bad fit next to Kobe. The size is nice but not having a real floor general in the back court leads to all kinds of questions. Kobe did excel in the triangle but I'm not sure Penny would outside of playing Kobe's role.

I think McHale would give LeBron problems on the block. LeBron hasn't had to play defence on traditional low post scorers and I think it's a stretch to say he'd be fine against a guy who's low post game was called the "Torture chamber". That said, McHale in the low post seems like a low usage option based on the personnel and the offensive scheme - so is going there too out of character for this team?

I don't love either bench.

I would have to say I'm leaning Jimi right now but it's very close.

Leave a comment:

• Mack North
    replied
    A 4-4 tie??? What happens now?

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I voted Bob.. Was a tough vote. Went back and forth on this a few times. I really hate Penny next to Kobe.. but I like Bob's bench better and I really hate Ewing.. one of my least favourite players ever. If Zo had started then the vote may have swung.. that's how close it was.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X