Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most overrated team in the East this year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the most overrated team in the East this year ?

A scant two weeks till training camp opens and only 6 weeks till the season kicks off. Of the eastern conference teams who is the most overrated ? I will pick a few of my personal favourites but the floor is open to all views. Rebuttals and all commentary welcome.

I put a poll similar to this last year. Vote early and vote often.

The Leprechauns:

The plucky warriors from Boston to me lead the pack on most overrated. Picked to finish second in the conference and to be a threat to the Lebrons is a pretty high bar and the boys from boston don’t have the chops for it. Isaiah Thomas snuck up on folks last year. Not this year. Teams will be ready for him and put a bigger set of bodies on him. All game and all year long. Llisted at very generous 5’9” and 185 he is going to wear down over the 82 game schedule. Al Horford is a really good player. Just not the kind of player that puts a team on his back and can carry them on his own volition. He has never done this before. Not in Atlanta and not in the NCAA at Florida. So why this year with a change of uniform colour does this change ? It won’t.
    In a 3 point shooting league the Celts shooting from beyond the arc ranked an abysmal 28th out of 30 league wide. It didn’t improve. Ainge got no one to help. Jaylen Brown isn't going to light it up from beyond the arc. Neither is Smart or Bradley.
    They let go their leading rebounder in Sullinger and while Horford does a lot of things very well rebounding isn't one of his best attributes. this year the only thing cleaning the glass in Boston will be windex. Folks smirk at the size of the deal that Evan Turner got in Portland but Turner was one of the few guys on the Celts besides IT who could get his own shot. Jaylen Brown may be good but he is not going to give the Celts this year what Turner gave them last year. There are lots n lots of young and unproven guys on the roster. Rozier, Young, Jerebco , Hunter, Jackson are not going to strike fear into a lot of hearts around the league.

The Bulls:

The Bulls are being picked to make the playoffs. Really ? The Bulls have potentially the worst shooting backcourt in the entire NBA in an aging Dwyane Wade and the mercurial Rajon Rondo. Jimmy Butler is an all star but he is not a 3 point threat on the wing. Think I am kidding ? Read the Bulls forums. The other projected starters areTaj Gibson and the wrong Lopez at the 5 and unless its from 5 feet or less they aren’t going to fill it up. They have McBuckets and Mirotic to make the 3 but Mirotic is streaky and spacing for both of them is going to be hard to come by to shake free for their shots. Mix in that Freddy Hoiberg doesn’t have the chops for the job of being an NBA head coach which requires him to manage some pretty big egos and with Wade / Butler / Rondo there are some pretty big egos. Chicago could implode by Christmas if there isn't enough balls to go around to keep Wade and Butler happy. Watch for Rondo to act as an accelerant in the demise of Freddy Hoiberg.

The SuperTeam:

Ah the Knicks. It wouldn’t be the NBA off season without the boys from Gotham being picked to make the playoffs. Not only make them but finish around 6th.
    They have 3 guys on surgically repaired knees, two of whom, Carmelo and Noah are over 30. Rose is under 30 but has torn both ACL’s. They have no bench to speak of. None. They are on their 4th coach in 3 years. The current tethered goat walking the sidelines Jeff Horacek is likely being mandated to run an offense he doesn’t believe in by the embodiment of the Peter Principle in Phil Jackson. Mix in a meddling owner who thinks he should be GM and a press corps that make jackals look like Miss Manners and … Hey .. what could possibly go wrong on the Knicks march to the post season ?
    Celtics
    36.17%
    Bulls
    6.38%
    Knicks
    40.43%
    Whizards
    2.13%
    Bucks
    0.00%
    Atlanta
    4.26%
    Charlotte
    0.00%
    Magic
    0.00%
    Indy
    6.38%
    Raptors
    4.26%
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Sep 26, 2016, 08:52 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    A scant two weeks till training camp opens and only 6 weeks till the season kicks off. Of the eastern conference teams who is the most overrated ? I will pick a few of my personal favourites but the floor is open to all views. Rebuttals and all commentary welcome.

I put a poll similar to this last year. Vote early and vote often.

The Leprechauns:

The plucky warriors from Boston to me lead the pack on most overrated. Picked to finish second in the conference and to be a threat to the Lebrons is a pretty high bar and the boys from boston don’t have the chops for it. Isaiah Thomas snuck up on folks last year. Not this year. Teams will be ready for him and put a bigger set of bodies on him. All game and all year long. Llisted at very generous 5’9” and 185 he is going to wear down over the 82 game schedule. Al Horford is a really good player. Just not the kind of player that puts a team on his back and can carry them on his own volition. He has never done this before. Not in Atlanta and not in the NCAA at Florida. So why this year with a change of uniform colour does this change ? It won’t.
    In a 3 point shooting league the Celts shooting from beyond the arc ranked an abysmal 28th out of 30 league wide. It didn’t improve. Ainge got no one to help. Jaylen Brown isn't going to light it up from beyond the arc. Neither is Smart or Bradley.
    They let go their leading rebounder in Sullinger and while Horford does a lot of things very well rebounding isn't one of his best attributes. Folks smirk at the size of the deal that Evan Turner got in Portland but Turner was one of the few guys on the Celts besides IT who could get his own shot. Jaylen Brown may be good but he is not going to give the Celts this year what Turner gave them last year. There are lots n lots of young and unproven guys on the roster. Rozier, Young, Jerebco , Hunter, Jackson are not going to strike fear into a lot of hearts around the league.

The Bulls:

The Bulls are being picked to make the playoffs. Really ? The Bulls have potentially the worst shooting backcourt in the entire NBA in an aging Dwyane Wade and the mercurial Rajon Rondo. Jimmy Butler is an all star but he is not a 3 point threat on the wing. Think I am kidding ? Read the Bulls forums. The other projected starters areTaj Gibson and the wrong Lopez at the 5 and unless its from 5 feet or less they aren’t going to fill it up. They have McBuckets and Mirotic to make the 3 but Mirotic is streaky and spacing for both of them is going to be hard to come by to shake free for their shots. Mix in that Freddy Hoiberg doesn’t have the chops for the job of being an NBA head coach which requires him to manage some pretty big egos and with Wade / Butler / Rondo there are some pretty big egos. Chicago could implode by Christmas if there isn't enough balls to go around to keep Wade and Butler happy. Watch for Rondo to act as an accelerant in the demise of Freddy Hoiberg.

The SuperTeam:

Ah the Knicks. It wouldn’t be the NBA off season without the boys from Gotham being picked to make the playoffs. Not only make them but finish around 6th.
    They have 3 guys on surgically repaired knees, two of whom, Carmelo and Noah are over 30. Rose is under 30 but has torn both ACL’s. They have no bench to speak of. None. They are on their 4th coach in 3 years. The current tethered goat walking the sidelines Jeff Horacek is likely being mandated to run an offense he doesn’t believe in by the embodiment of the Peter Principle in Phil Jackson. Mix in a meddling owner who thinks he should be GM and a press corps that make jackals look like Miss Manners and … Hey .. what could possibly go wrong on the Knicks march to the post season ?
    Pretty much spot on. The Celtics will be quite good again, but I also don't think they'll make the massive leap many are predicting. Chicago will be competitive and it's the east, they should be around the middle of the pack somewhere. The Knicks best-case-scenario is middle of the pack, imho. There's a very good chance they're underwhelmingly mediocre due to poor fit, injuries, the fact that a very talented 'Melo seems to impact team success so little, the weird Phil Jackson + coaching situation, and the NYC media sideshow. They'll start with tons of optimism and most likely will slowly fade away. Porzingis is interesting, though.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

All good choices. My dark horse is Indy. They are getting a LOT of love based on their moves and might have actually taken a step back if things go poorly. That team lived and died with their defence. We are pretty sure the offence got better, but we know for sure their defence got worse (probably much worse). A big mystery how it will balance out.

I think most people know that the Bulls are a mess and the Knicks will barely ever play together, and I think BOS will be good (though let's see how they survive on the boards before anointing them the Cavs' challengers), but a lot of people seem high on Indy and the flaws in their off-season seem mostly overlooked.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I would have liked to see the Raptors and the Cavs as choices, not saying I would have chosen one of them, but I think they could be in the mix.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
          I would have liked to see the Raptors and the Cavs as choices, not saying I would have chosen one of them, but I think they could be in the mix.
          Your limited to 10 line items in the poll..
          - TGO

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            All good choices. My dark horse is Indy. They are getting a LOT of love based on their moves and might have actually taken a step back if things go poorly. That team lived and died with their defence. We are pretty sure the offence got better, but we know for sure their defence got worse (probably much worse). A big mystery how it will balance out.

I think most people know that the Bulls are a mess and the Knicks will barely ever play together, and I think BOS will be good (though let's see how they survive on the boards before anointing them the Cavs' challengers), but a lot of people seem high on Indy and the flaws in their off-season seem mostly overlooked.
            I thought about including Indy as one of the highlighted teams. They swapped out defense for offense as Larry Legend wants to pick up the pace this year in a big way. Its a high stakes gamble for sure as in the PO defense tends to trump offense.... but the memory of Paul Effing George singlehandedly almost knocking the home team out last May stopped me from the writeup.

That guy is really something. He plays both Offense and Defense at an all NBA level. On the assmuppet scale, he provides no sleepless nights for the Indy front office. As Lebron starts on the downward side of the career curve this is the guy in my view who easily ascends to be the man in the east.

Think Indy is in the mix for 3 to 5 seed this year just because they suit up PG. However if they struggle and wind up with 43 wins and 8th place it won't be the first or last time I am 100% dead ass wrong.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Sep 14, 2016, 07:41 PM.
            - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              Your limited to 10 line items in the poll..
              Charlotte is in your poll twice (?) and I don't think too many people rate them so high. And everybody is pretty much off the Wizards Wall-Beal bandwagon, so I wouldn't have them in the poll either.

I'd agree with WJF, the Raps should be in the mix. There's a faction of people who felt the Raps stars (Lowry/DD) and Casey's offense got exposed in the playoffs and they were lucky to get out of the first round.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                Charlotte is in your poll twice (?) and I don't think too many people rate them so high. And everybody is pretty much off the Wizards Wall-Beal bandwagon, so I wouldn't have them in the poll either.

I'd agree with WJF, the Raps should be in the mix. There's a faction of people who felt the Raps stars (Lowry/DD) and Casey's offense got exposed in the playoffs and they were lucky to get out of the first round.
                I see the argument, but there's luck and then there's having a dominant young C who can take over a series even without the usage he deserves.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Yeah.. I saw that right after I pressed the go button and now there is no correcting it which is unfortunate.
                  I would have included Orlando in that slot and would still have left out the Lebrons, Raps, Philly, Brooklyn, Miami and Detroit.

The Raps are generally viewed as falling back this year by the ESPN/CBS/US Media crews so hard to put them up as over rated when the current wisdom from the mainstream NBA media has them regressing this year.
                  Philly and Brooklyn don't fit the narrative as they will be crappy. Philly less crappy than their 10 win season last year and the Nets probably worse than their 15-16 season. Until the Bosh issue is settled in Miami the Heat are off the board. From my cheap seat most of the thoughts and predictions coming out about the Pistons are along the lines of them being an improved team to a dark horse to get home court ....but nothing like the river of shit flowing outta Boston.
                  - TGO

Comment

1. Knicks
                    2. Indy
                    3. Boston
                    4. Bulls.

Comment

Indy and Boston. I really don't like what Larry legend did with the pacers

Comment

I think Indy's biggest issue is getting over the loss of Vogel. He was a great Coach, and their second winningest, and 2nd longest tenured Coach ever; which is pretty crazy.

I'm saying Boston and Indy on this, thought I voted Boston, only because so many places have them finishing above us, and that just ain't cool.
                        Last edited by Joey; Thu Sep 15, 2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I think it's Boston. Most overrated team in the East at the moment.. but I'm kinda worried about them. FU*K GREEN.

Comment

It's Boston.

I don't think it's fair in a way to say the Knicks because no one really outside of Stephen A Smith is delusional enough to think that they will do any real damage. Most people pick them 6th seed and lower from what I've seen and that does seem pretty damn realistic so I don't see how they can be considered overrated.

Boston feels like this year's "Wizards" or "Bucks" from yester year where some team is always pegged to be as good or better than us and then they turn out overrated. Now I don't think that BOS will disappoint anywhere near what the aforementioned names did because they have an AWESOME coach and system. Their players are also too gritty and play too tough to wash out like those 2 did but way too many have them pegged above us when they are yet to prove it. Al should take them up a peg or so, so they could finish between 51-54Ws which I do think we will finish close to as well but I just don't like when so many are so quick to pick them ahead of us despite our previous season's record. It will be interesting. I just haven't heard enough people's take on CHI to call them overrated or not but I certainly don't think they'll be anything greater than a 6th seed personally.

I also disagree with all the people thinking Indy is going to slip badly because of their defence. Yes I know, I know...they lost Vogel and their defence did play a part in their "success"/mediocrity. But I'm willing to bet anyone right now that they finish with a better record and get to the 2nd round. Teague, Thad, Al Heffe and a starting and year matured Turner are going to make a big difference. Last year it was like pulling teeth for PG to find help on the offensive end. I know they leave some to be desired on the defensive end but I don't see how are starting line up is that much better when you look at them...just saying. While I do think we'd still beat them I'd prefer DET, CHI, NYK or ORL.

Comment

I honestly thought it was Boston until I talked with some casual fans (which also reminded me why I don't talk sports too much outside of here except in generalities) but it is FAR and AWAY the Knicks.

Like it's genuinely surprising.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                              X