X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    Oh, you mean like blaming a Game 7 playoff loss on one specific player...

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...in_game_7.html

Torts couldn't have said it any better. LOL.

Listen, Casey is a great guy and decent coach with unbelievable people skills, but he does have that one tiny little character flaw. There are lots of examples.
    Was Casey blaming Ross for the loss, or simply describing one specific play (which happened to be the last play)?

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Terry Stotts. Fun fact, he was also an assistant on that 2011 Mavericks team Casey was on.
    Yeah, I know come up on the episode.

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Casey was on "Open Court" coaches edition with Rivers, Thibs, D'Antoni and Portland's coach(can't remember his name right now)
    Terry Stotts. Fun fact, he was also an assistant on that 2011 Mavericks team Casey was on.

Leave a comment:

• JamesNaismith
    replied
    Pops is #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5....#stepintopopsworld

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    Casey was on "Open Court" coaches edition with Rivers, Thibs, D'Antoni and Portland's coach(can't remember his name right now)

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    It pretty much came from the horse's mouth - Lowry. He was battling & dis-respecting Casey, and Masai & Billups (2 people he respected) turned his mindset around and made him grow up. Again, this is all well known and part of Raptor folklore now.

I've got no major beef with Casey either, but it's definitely not accurate to attribute 'instilling the culture of accountability' largely to Casey. In this one specific case, it was in spite of him. If Colangelo had continued on with Raps, I can guarantee you that: (a) he signs Rudy Gay to a max contract and makes him the franchise centerpiece & (b) he fires Casey after the terrible start that season.
    I for one... am glad that the page was turned on BC when it was.

The organization today is now in much better shape than when BC left. BC left the Raps with some very good assets from his watch (JV / DD / KL) but his time had come as the supporting cast around them wasn't and most likely wouldn't make that team and its trajectory better.

Good luck to BC in turning around the Sixers...he deserves a second chance.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Maybe yes or maybe no... all the post was intended to do was to bring to light that if you juxtaposed the names of the GM/Coach for the Celts the narrative would be questioned or dismissed as outlandish because of who the names are. ...

You have indirectly helped make that point through your question...

For the record... I am ambivalent to DC. He has his pluses and minuses as all coaches do.... it just seems that after 5 years of steady improvement from an initial 23 win season to last years 56 win season and an ECF apperance that perhaps he is not as big a stumblebum as he is made out to be.
    It pretty much came from the horse's mouth - Lowry. He was battling & dis-respecting Casey, and Masai & Billups (2 people he respected) turned his mindset around and made him grow up. Again, this is all well known and part of Raptor folklore now.

I've got no major beef with Casey either, but it's definitely not accurate to attribute 'instilling the culture of accountability' largely to Casey. In this one specific case, it was in spite of him. If Colangelo had continued on with Raps, I can guarantee you that: (a) he signs Rudy Gay to a max contract and makes him the franchise centerpiece & (b) he fires Casey after the terrible start that season.

Leave a comment:

• rightsideup
    replied
    He was never a stumblebum although calangelo made some positive moves it took a lot for the franchise to recover from drafting bargs #1. Number 1 picks should not only be talented but driven to win. Casey was saddled with this guy and this hurt them as did gay

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Are there actually articles that describe Ainge actively doing stuff like Masai did with Lowry, for example? If not, your argument here looks pretty shaky.
    Maybe yes or maybe no... all the post was intended to do was to bring to light that if you juxtaposed the names of the GM/Coach for the Celts the narrative would be questioned or dismissed as outlandish because of who the names are. ...

You have indirectly helped make that point through your question...

For the record... I am ambivalent to DC. He has his pluses and minuses as all coaches do.... it just seems that after 5 years of steady improvement from an initial 23 win season to last years 56 win season and an ECF apperance that perhaps he is not as big a stumblebum as he is made out to be.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    By all accounts (interviews, articles, etc...), Danny Ainge is the one who created the culture of accountability by reigning in Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart. Brad Stevens is really a nice guy as well as being a coaching genius, but Ainge provides the fear and respect to the players that Stevens couldn't achieve and isn't in his nature. Other than that, yes, Stevens has brought a lot of class to the organization.

Using your narrative but substituting Bostons GM/Coach would be considered heresy.

I get that there is still a lot of reticence on Casey and his abilities in these parts but from my cheap seat I'd say that its not the GM's role to be the hard ass walkin boss. I'd venture to say that the GM's role is acquire the type of players his coaching staff wants, keep a pipeline of talent coming in via trades, FA and the draft that fits the teams direction and to manage the fiscal aspects of the cap.

Getting the most out of the type players that he wanted and making them accountable for their play on the court and in practice is the sole purvey of the coach and his staff.

So perhaps we might consider giving, however fleeting, a tip of the hat to Casey and his staff in getting the most out of the type of team that he asked for and that the GM went out and got ?
    Are there actually articles that describe Ainge actively doing stuff like Masai did with Lowry, for example? If not, your argument here looks pretty shaky.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    By all accounts (interviews, articles, etc...), Masai is the one who created the culture of accountability by reigning in Lowry. Casey is really a nice guy, so Masai provides the fear and respect to the players that Casey couldn't achieve under Colangelo and probably isn't in his nature. Other than that, yes, Casey has brought a lot of class to the organization.
    By all accounts (interviews, articles, etc...), Danny Ainge is the one who created the culture of accountability by reigning in Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart. Brad Stevens is really a nice guy as well as being a coaching genius, but Ainge provides the fear and respect to the players that Stevens couldn't achieve and isn't in his nature. Other than that, yes, Stevens has brought a lot of class to the organization.

Using your narrative but substituting Bostons GM/Coach would be considered heresy.

I get that there is still a lot of reticence on Casey and his abilities in these parts but from my cheap seat I'd say that its not the GM's role to be the hard ass walkin boss. I'd venture to say that the GM's role is acquire the type of players his coaching staff wants, keep a pipeline of talent coming in via trades, FA and the draft that fits the teams direction and to manage the fiscal aspects of the cap.

Getting the most out of the type players that he wanted and making them accountable for their play on the court and in practice is the sole purvey of the coach and his staff.

So perhaps we might consider giving, however fleeting, a tip of the hat to Casey and his staff in getting the most out of the type of team that he asked for and that the GM went out and got ?

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
    Casey has grown on me over the years, he is probably near the top of the run of the mill coaches in the NBA so the choice on who to replace him wouldnt appeal much to me to make a change because i think it wouldnt make much of difference ... now if we could poach a college coach at the level of Brad Stevens then for sure i wouldnt mind making a chance

we can all agree he is not a great x/o's coaches but at the macro level, of creating a culture of accountability, where every player works together to a common goal without individual goals, he has done a great job ... all the drama that you see on other teams between players or players vs coaches/management are non existent here and he deserves credit for that
    By all accounts (interviews, articles, etc...), Masai is the one who created the culture of accountability by reigning in Lowry. Casey is really a nice guy, so Masai provides the fear and respect to the players that Casey couldn't achieve under Colangelo and probably isn't in his nature. Other than that, yes, Casey has brought a lot of class to the organization.

Leave a comment:

• Niagara Raptor
    replied
    Casey has grown on me over the years, he is probably near the top of the run of the mill coaches in the NBA so the choice on who to replace him wouldnt appeal much to me to make a change because i think it wouldnt make much of difference ... now if we could poach a college coach at the level of Brad Stevens then for sure i wouldnt mind making a chance

we can all agree he is not a great x/o's coaches but at the macro level, of creating a culture of accountability, where every player works together to a common goal without individual goals, he has done a great job ... all the drama that you see on other teams between players or players vs coaches/management are non existent here and he deserves credit for that

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    Pretty fair. Casey is definitely in the top half of coaches in the league.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Torts is still riding that 2004 Stanley Cup. The guy just keeps getting hired despite the disappointments in NYC and the disaster in Vancouver. That Cup brings a lot of credibility, though, so much so that even he can't shake it off....
    The Torts magic is pretty tough to understand...

Might be the warm and civil way he handles the press.... the "Brooksie" presser confrontations are .. well.. incredible.
    or

His astute handling of players ....Torts motivational speech impressed a bona fide number 1 centre in Ryan Johhansen to demand a ticket out of Columbus....leaving them to draft another C this year and wait a few years for him to possiblty develop into that number 1 C.
    or

His ability to manage his own emotions as he challenges Bob Hartley to a fight in the hallway
    and

With an 82 game schedule coming up .. he benches his own guys Dubinsky (the guy he picked over Johansen) and his first pairing defenseman Jack Johnson in what is a high profile rivalry game ..

Ah Torts... if he was a basketball guy he'd be with the Sacto Kings
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Sep 20, 2016, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X