Bosh, did we dodge a bullet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosh, did we dodge a bullet?

In 2010 CB4 bolted for the Miami heat, leaving the Raps with 2 first round picks, one became JV the other was used to acquire James Johnson. Half a dozen years later we have a team that set a franchise record for wins and went to an Eastern Conference finals. Bosh may be don with the NBA due to health concerns, The Raptors are in decent shape with their current roster and have some flexibility moving forward.

Short term I think we would have been better off had we kept Bosh, but as a franchise did we luck out losing Bosh before his health issues and constructing our current roster?
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

BC handled it beautifully and never should have been fired. Lol. There might not be a bigger example of 20/20 hindsight in raptors history than this. For all we know if he stayed in Toronto the clean air would have kept him healthy and we still don't have a future hall of famer for 6 years.

At this exact second though yes I would rather have something compared to nothing. Well played raps, well played.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bosh's blod clot issues came about after the first Miami contract ended.. so resigning him wouldn't be an issue from that stand point. The 2011 pick (JV) would still be available because the pick was lottery protected (Miami would get the pick if the Raptors made the playoffs, otherwise they woudn't).

Retaining Bosh most likely would have hurt that pick. I don't know if we'd fail to make the playoffs or not, but assuming we didn't, we could have picked up Kawhi who was on BC's radar and Kawhi has HOF written all over him.

It's always best to retain top end talent if you can. Or trade them for max value. And BC did neither. So he blew it, even in hindsight.

Comment

I understand that CB just failed his physical and cannot attend training camp. He calls it a "little setback". WTF. I don't understand. Obviously the doctors and the Heat believeit's too dangerous for him to continue playing at this level. The Heat have a lot to lose so they do not do this lightly.

Does he not get paid in full? Why is he persisting after all this time and 2 major incidents of clotting thankfully discovered before they caused major damage. Isn't he supposed to be the intelligent one?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          I understand that CB just failed his physical and cannot attend training camp. He calls it a "little setback". WTF. I don't understand. Obviously the doctors and the Heat believeit's too dangerous for him to continue playing at this level. The Heat have a lot to lose so they do not do this lightly.

Does he not get paid in full? Why is he persisting after all this time and 2 major incidents of clotting thankfully discovered before they caused major damage. Isn't he supposed to be the intelligent one?
          Nope, he ain't that intelligent.

The good thing about him bolting is that we were able to recover 3 years later. If Bosh was still around, it would also probably mean that BC would still be around and he would have continued mortgaged our future in order to make the Raptors a treadmill team year after year. In hindsight everything fell into place when BC was fired and Masai came aboard and we got rid of Gay and Bargnani.

Comment

Professionals are super competitive, incredibly driven, probably even more stubborn and the best ones love their job. I'd be disappointed in Bosh if he said, OK it's over, so quickly.

Obviously he's very sick, blood clots are nothing to play with, but I'm sure he'll work and do whatever it takes to try to come back and contribute as soon as he can.

I actually find this thread pretty reprehensible. The guy could be forced out of the game he loves and the job he loves by a major medical condition and guys are talking about if the raps lucked out by him leaving. Good timing.

Thanks for reminding me why I stayed away from this nonsense for so long.

PEACE!
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              Professionals are super competitive, incredibly driven, probably even more stubborn and the best ones love their job. I'd be disappointed in Bosh if he said, OK it's over, so quickly.

Obviously he's very sick, blood clots are nothing to play with, but I'm sure he'll work and do whatever it takes to try to come back and contribute as soon as he can.

I actually find this thread pretty reprehensible. The guy could be forced out of the game he loves and the job he loves by a major medical condition and guys are talking about if the raps lucked out by him leaving. Good timing.

Thanks for reminding me why I stayed away from this nonsense for so long.

PEACE!
              Welcome back. It hasn't been the same without you but I see you haven't lost your need to be doctrinaire .

Re Bosh...my only point is that with Bosh not having played much for the better part of 2 seasons because of his condition (and under doctors orders & treatment) it would seem that this is not a trivial matter physiologically. He has tried. He does have a young family (wife and 4 kids I believe) and all the wealth he/they need and his condition controllable under a normal lifestyle...but you think he should feed his competitive instincts on the basketball court after he has probably been advised to hang them up?

I have not seen this advice per se but the narrative seems to imply this. That is selfish, no?

Comment

Heat actually have a lot to gain if Bosh retires due to Medical Condition - His whole $70M+ will come off their books for 2017.

Comment

Yeah, they'd still owe the cash but the cap could be freed up.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                    Heat actually have a lot to gain if Bosh retires due to Medical Condition - His whole $70M+ will come off their books for 2017.
                    I was thinking the altruistic (and health angle) mostly. They pay him regardless. And I am not so sure that they would not have preferred a healthy Bosh than the uncertainty this event causes. But you are right the cap does matter re the team. The Heat probably also benefit if their insurance covers such matters.

Comment

Chris Bosh won two rings in Miami we're still waiting in Toronto. I used to love CB4's leave it all on the floor grit night in and night out. I view things a bit differently from other posters re BC. CB played BC. BC should have known he would leave the summer before ---he should have either signed CB4 to an extension failing that he should have traded him. BC had to have known CB4 was going to leave.

Comment

i was ok with bosh leaving, he fulfilled his contract then left, and we werent winning with him anyways ... but he was always a stand up guy in toronto and its a shame this happening to him ( or anybody who has their career taken away from them prematurely )

Comment

Shitty. Hopefully there is still chance for him to get through this and continue with his career. I'd love to see what he could do as the leader on a team now that he's older and wiser than when he led the Raps.

Comment

The Heat just want Bosh and his contract off the books and wish he went away ....

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                              The Heat just want Bosh and his contract off the books and wish he went away ....
                              the business side of basketball can kinda be ugly Chris could have gave us some good years if he choose to stay here and sacrificed his individual game for the heat to become a championship team . No one has a crystal ball to look to the future from the raptor years to what eventually happened to poor chris. I wish him the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X