Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance we get our hands on Griffin next summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'd trade joseph for a star 4.

but if you're moving for youth, I'd sooner trade lowry, and it'd have to be a motherlode of high quality prospects and picks.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      I have no issue with the OP. Trading for a star PF type is exactly what we should be doing.

You brought up that we should look at teams looking to sell youth to try to make the playoffs. I very much disagree with that notion.

Jabari, Gordon and Lyles - well, you can give up on Jabari, but for the other two, I'm certain their teams would not consider moving them for a piece like Wright. They'd want a CoJo type piece, and I don't know if I'd give him up for a player of that calibre. Someone like Portis (who I have no interest in at this point) you might be able to get with Wright, sure. But again, you're shuffling deck chairs. We aren't lacking capable PF's. We have those. What we don't have is a star or borderline star PF. If we aren't upgrading to one of those, better to sit tight than make trades for the sake of making trades.
      Depends on how guys like Gordon et al progress and the situation of their team. Again, I'm not looking at the window of 2017 finals. Or limiting the scope to specific names. Another reason to play Powell. He could be our break out star that is redundant that fits another team that has a breakout star at the 4 that is redundant like Lyles/favors. It's important to be open and flexible.

Comment

lewro wrote: View Post
        Depends on how guys like Gordon et al progress and the situation of their team. Again, I'm not looking at the window of 2017 finals. Or limiting the scope to specific names. Another reason to play Powell. He could be our break out star that is redundant that fits another team that has a breakout star at the 4 that is redundant like Lyles/favors. It's important to be open and flexible.
        Powell will get minutes when there are minutes for him. For now, Ross is a far more likely trade candidate, so it makes much more sense to play him a lot, never mind that he is actually a proven rotation option.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Powell will get minutes when there are minutes for him. For now, Ross is a far more likely trade candidate, so it makes much more sense to play him a lot, never mind that he is actually a proven rotation option.
          Nice pivot. That is for the #freenorm thread but I'll play. "Proven" was the opposite description of the Denver broadcasters last night. Don't think he's gonna land the big fish but I still want him to gets mins when he shows up. He's indispensable according to your spacing argument, whereas norm is redundant if I've understood you correctly. Imo norm is the more likely to break out.
          So you're millsap/Griffin or nothing?

Comment

Speaking of Powell, his contract ends in the summer of 2018, as a result of signing a contract as a 2nd rounder for 3 years - does he become a restricted or is a free agent?!

Comment

lewro wrote: View Post
              Nice pivot. That is for the #freenorm thread but I'll play. "Proven" was the opposite description of the Denver broadcasters last night. Don't think he's gonna land the big fish but I still want him to gets mins when he shows up. He's indispensable according to your spacing argument, whereas norm is redundant if I've understood you correctly. Imo norm is the more likely to break out.
              So you're millsap/Griffin or nothing?
              Yes, I am Millsap/Griffin/whoever else might be available as a top notch PF or nothing. Why trade for a guy who will likely be worse than Patterson?

Ross is not indispensable. He's useful. With time Powell may prove to be as useful (I'd bet on it). But we have Powell locked in to a cheap deal and then his RFA rights - we have ages to get value from him. Ross, we have to use now (for long term use or trade value building, doesn't matter) or have him rot away.

As for Ross being proven, over the past 3 years there have only been 14 players to make as many 3's as Ross (437), and only 18 players to make over 400. Among those 18 players, Ross is 8th in 3PT% at 38%. It doesn't come much more proven in this league if you are looking for a shooter. Never mind him being key to most of our best lineups last year, so he's also proven to work wonders in this system, in terms of value in playing him over Powell.

I'd still trade him in a heartbeat for a PF upgrade, because I do believe Powell can step into that role and provide something similar. But I'm not going to try to shoehorn him into the rotation where he doesn't fit just so I have more trade pieces available.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                Speaking of Powell, his contract ends in the summer of 2018, as a result of signing a contract as a 2nd rounder for 3 years - does he become a restricted or is a free agent?!
                Restricted free agent, full Bird Rights.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Restricted free agent, full Bird Rights.
                  Thanks, that's a good relief.

Comment

Can that contract be extended before year 3? or is that just for first rounders?!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Can that contract be extended before year 3? or is that just for first rounders?!
                      Have to wait and see ow the new CBA ends up changing the rules regarding extensions. Pretty sure that's a big reason why players have agreed to extensions this week.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yes, I am Millsap/Griffin/whoever else might be available as a top notch PF or nothing. Why trade for a guy who will likely be worse than Patterson?

Ross is not indispensable. He's useful. With time Powell may prove to be as useful (I'd bet on it). But we have Powell locked in to a cheap deal and then his RFA rights - we have ages to get value from him. Ross, we have to use now (for long term use or trade value building, doesn't matter) or have him rot away.

As for Ross being proven, over the past 3 years there have only been 14 players to make as many 3's as Ross (437), and only 18 players to make over 400. Among those 18 players, Ross is 8th in 3PT% at 38%. It doesn't come much more proven in this league if you are looking for a shooter. Never mind him being key to most of our best lineups last year, so he's also proven to work wonders in this system, in terms of value in playing him over Powell.

I'd still trade him in a heartbeat for a PF upgrade, because I do believe Powell can step into that role and provide something similar. But I'm not going to try to shoehorn him into the rotation where he doesn't fit just so I have more trade pieces available.
                        Whoever else is entirely vague. Your list is narrow and improbable.
                        Saying you bet on Powell as useful but that he's not a fit is a contradiction. Shoehorning him in if those ahead of him do not produce is good management. All the better if he breaks out. It sucks if Ross rots but hes had plenty opportunity and still does. Don't give opportunity to people that squander it. Thats life.
                        Yes, Ross can shot 3s but it's not a 3pt competition. He didn't have a lot of success evading Barton thru screens last night. and he got embarrassed by Chandler more than once on d. In competition the best man wins. Put all horses in the race and let them run. I'm just as happy if it's Ross or Powell but let's see.
                        It makes total sense to me to have the best trade chip possible. Ross doesnt have a tonne of value. Neither does Powell. Yes, teams might need a shooter but not a space cadet. There's a stigma that diminishes value. That's why I mentioned the Denver broadcasters. Just bc Powell is early in a cheap contract doesn't mean he should rot. Play your best players. Don't bench a freshman if he's better than the senior. "That's how winning is done".
                        I like pat but there's plenty of guys that could be better.
                        Again, I don't see the window as this year and I'm not proposing to make a trade today. I'm saying watch the league and develop all of your players. I think that's the Masai patience approach. I think your perspective is an upgrade on the ibaka deal but still won't get it done and we will use all of our assets and narrow our window that lebron already shut. I think that's why Masai backed off the price. Not that I think the Hawks are gonna flounder anyway. The clips look good too.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                          Have to wait and see ow the new CBA ends up changing the rules regarding extensions. Pretty sure that's a big reason why players have agreed to extensions this week.
                          True. But for the record, under the current rules he is not eligible for extension - extensions can only occur a full three calendar years after the deal was signed, so since the deal is only three years long he'll never be eligible. Same reason Lowry is not eligible for an extension before he becomes a free agent this summer.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Are you guys seriously already talking about next summer/ Summer is friggan purgatory, and yet, its as if you have Stockholm syndrome and wish to return to those days.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                              Are you guys seriously already talking about next summer/ Summer is friggan purgatory, and yet, its as if you have Stockholm syndrome and wish to return to those days.
                              Yes you got to look at the present as well as the not so distant future. The reality is this: we dont have enough talent yet to beat The Cavs and The Warriors in a 7 games series, until the lanscape changes (which could take another season or two.)

This is why we have to be prepared and talk about the future today.

Comment

Working...
                              X