Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feschuk's Take On Colangelo From Yesterday

OUCH

Colangelo actually attempted to sell his audience on the notion that MLSE is in these games to win these games.

“The plan is to win basketball games at whatever cost,” Colangelo said at one point.

I am not making this up.

“At whatever cost,” are the words he used.

That, folks, isn’t a sales pitch: It’s just a lie. The defending NBA champion L.A. Lakers are spending some $25 million (all figures U.S.) more than the Raptors on salaries this season — you can argue their plan is to win basketball games at whatever cost.

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers are outspending the Raptors by millions upon millions in their quest to keep LeBron James in town, this while Colangelo and MLSE are only now talking about possibly spending to keep Bosh. This week brought news that the Cavs have been losing many millions in the process. And yes, you should always distrust claims of losses with a lockout looming. But you can’t deny that Cleveland’s majority owner, Dan Gilbert, believes victory can’t be achieved on a balance sheet. And you just can’t say the same thing about Toronto’s owner.

Toronto’s profiteers are paying Colangelo some $4 million a year to dance around the obviousness of this uneven playing field; to toss a mismatched mix into a locker room every October, to up-sell their merits to the ticket-buying public, and to appear positively shocked when the new guys don’t play well together. We all understand this.

And we understand, too, that Colangelo is angling for a contract extension. So certainly that explains his elegant sips of the corporate Kool-Aid. Still, credibility’s a precious thing, and Colangelo lost some Monday.
    Source - Click here

Hehe ... after the disaster, many heroes shows up. I wish Feschuck would have the "balls" to write this before it happen, last summer or previous when BC made all the trades. Everyone praised BC when he pulled off last summer trades, it is easy now to rip him off if the plan didn't worked out. MLSE on the other hand, they are the party that keeps the spending on check, BC has to work with the money he is got from MLSE. I know the BC honey moon is long gone, but so far he did try to make Raptors better, it just didn't work.
    I just don't understand what exactly Feschuck expects MLSE and BC to say: "We are a bad team, don't buy the tickets next season". The NBA is a business first and then an entertainment entity. If they don't sell the tickets/merchandise, the future will look even worst than is right now. We all are upset with this season, but trying to blame BC for "dance around the obviousness of this uneven playing field;" is just an obvious attempt to attract more readers for his newspaper using Feschuck well known style.

Comment

FYI it's Feschuk... and he hit the nail on the head!

Comment

What that idiot wants, MLSE to start loosing money big time,
        and than sell the team to someone in Seattle?

Comment

Feschuk being Feschuk... sometimes he has a point, but overall, if I paid serious attention to his column, I would be a miserable person.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
            Hehe ... after the disaster, many heroes shows up. I wish Feschuck would have the "balls" to write this before it happen, last summer or previous when BC made all the trades. Everyone praised BC when he pulled off last summer trades, it is easy now to rip him off if the plan didn't worked out. MLSE on the other hand, they are the party that keeps the spending on check, BC has to work with the money he is got from MLSE. I know the BC honey moon is long gone, but so far he did try to make Raptors better, it just didn't work.
            I just don't understand what exactly Feschuck expects MLSE and BC to say: "We are a bad team, don't buy the tickets next season". The NBA is a business first and then an entertainment entity. If they don't sell the tickets/merchandise, the future will look even worst than is right now. We all are upset with this season, but trying to blame BC for "dance around the obviousness of this uneven playing field;" is just an obvious attempt to attract more readers for his newspaper using Feschuck well known style.
            if you can find an article that feschuck wrote saying he praised the moves colangelo made last year then hats off to you man.

i actually admire feschuck, although sometimes he tends to over exaggerate things, but he's not afraid to call out the higher-ups of toronto sports teams on their BS. I think what theyre trying to do at the star is do a good cop-bad cop thing with him and Doug Smith, coz smith tends to sugar coat them while Feschuck rips them apart.

And i really dont know what you expect Feschuck to say to BC, congrats on overpaying Hedo Turkoglu? congrats on putting Bosh in a spot where he could leave Toronto? you cant really say, oh well, nice try. try again next year. The city of Toronto has sucked in every major sports league for the past couple of years, dont expect to hear nice things.
            Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Apr 20, 2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
              if you can find an article that feschuck wrote saying he praised the moves colangelo made last year then hats off to you man.
              It is really hard to find a positive article written by feschuck . However, if you don't find "an article that feschuck wrote saying he praised the moves colangelo made last year", you won't find an article (prior to All Star game break) to say that the moves colangelo did last year were bad either. Apparently, feschuck is waiting under a rock and he surfaces only when shit happens and he feeds off this situations

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                Apparently, feschuck is waiting under a rock and he surfaces only when shit happens and he feeds off this situations
                And so he should. Otherwise, were going to be experiencing the same mistakes over and over again.

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                  What makes you think the team is going to start losing money? Their cap number has been higher than it is now in the past... MLSE is a goldmine. Feschuk is the ultimate pessimist. He comes off as bright when times are tough but looks whiny when times are going good. I take Colangelo on face value on this one and one perennial pessimist isn't changing my mind on that. He wants to spend and needs to spend to improve and get a new contract. The board pledged him 100% support and 0% interference when he took the job. If that's changing now then I want out as a Raptors fan because I've already been to the other side of the fence and it smells like crap.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Wed Apr 21, 2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    And so he should. Otherwise, were going to be experiencing the same mistakes over and over again.
                    Really? Do you think BC will act differently because Feschuk wrote this article? Also, why are you saying that the mistakes were the same over and over again?
                    If Feschuk would be that good, he would be a GM with a salary of +$4mil/year, not a mediocre columnist! Why would we need Feschuk to state the negative things about Raptors, when these issues are discussed and over discussed on different forums for quite a while?

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                      mlse cant lose any money as long as people keep on coming to those stupid leaf games.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

We all knew this for years now whats the big surprise?

Comment

Working...
                        X