No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We should get Draymond or AD and Lebron or Kawhi. Then we'll be really good.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      We should get Draymond or AD and Lebron or Kawhi. Then we'll be really good.
      Hilarious.

#waitingonyournetflixspecial

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Just can't see MIA selling him. What would they want? JV plus Ross plus picks? He's one of the few elite defensive C's that might actually make enough of a difference to make a style change worth the risk.
        Might?

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
          I have to disagree with being the same issue as JV, Gasol isn't an elite athlete even in his wildest dreams but he does have quicker feet which is the issue for JV (who has cinder blocks for feet) contesting perimeter shots and then getting himself back in a decent position to rebound. So that's already a substantial difference. The funny thing is we seem to keep thinking that we need additional scoring and some passing from the PF position but Gasol is excellent at both and is showing 3pt range. He pretty much covers majority of needs and of course he can anchor the post no problem. If we were able to create a package where we could somehow retain one of our 1st rds n Powell, I'd do it asap.
          Perhaps I'm just buying into the small ball effect, but the way the two teams we are chasing play would require that we sit any C not named KAT towards the end of games. That's why I'm hoping any big trade the Raptors make is for a PF and not C.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
            Might?
            Yes, as you are fond of saying, we can't judge fit or success for a certainty until we try it, right?

When messing with an all-time great offence, there is significant risk in any move - I'm saying Whiteside is one of the few who might overcome that risk with the potential reward.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I have to disagree with being the same issue as JV, Gasol isn't an elite athlete even in his wildest dreams but he does have quicker feet which is the issue for JV (who has cinder blocks for feet) contesting perimeter shots and then getting himself back in a decent position to rebound. So that's already a substantial difference. The funny thing is we seem to keep thinking that we need additional scoring and some passing from the PF position but Gasol is excellent at both and is showing 3pt range. He pretty much covers majority of needs and of course he can anchor the post no problem. If we were able to create a package where we could somehow retain one of our 1st rds n Powell, I'd do it asap.
              I'd have to see them at a combine (present day) to validate the footspeed argument. Imo part of it is system and part is reads. Gasol reads very well. Same goes with his passing vision. Jv can learn this to a certain extent but it takes some innate skill to do it consistently and instantaneously within the pace and flow of the game. No disrespect to jv but give gasol credit here. He is exceptional.

Comment

In a vacuum it's a great idea. But he's a 32-year-old coming off a major foot injury. Long-term JV is still the more valuable piece imo, when accounting for risk/age.

Comment

• Looking at the options we have right now and seeing how well this group plays together, I think we better stand pat for the season. Thoughts?

Comment

• Trade for Bogut - and here's why:

The Raps are at $99 mil payroll for next year. After Kyle opts out it's $87 mil.

The tax is expected to be around $122 mil. So, that leaves about $35 mil to resign Kyle, Patterson, plus draft picks. That's not enough unless Kyle signs for way less than the max. Maybe the Raps are willing to go over the tax, but it's probably not a good idea, since it really limits roster flexibility.

So, trade JV + Sullinger for Bogut + Dwight Powell.

Bogut's on an expiring contract, so he would essentially be a playoff rental. He would be a no back to backs, low minute guy. That's fine considering the kind of player he is. In some match ups Casey won't want to play him anyway. I also really like his fit. He's like a slower, more physical BeBe. He's a good passer out of the pick and roll, and he can rebound and protect the rim.

Dwight Powell I think is a really good fit in the front court rotation as a plus defender that can guard 4s and 5s. He has a jump shot, though not much range. If the Raps can develop his corner 3s he could be really good as a rotation big. He's from Toronto, and he's only 25.

Also, it would give the Raptors around $8 mil extra in cap room this offseason, for a total of $43 mil. Which is a more realistic figure for trying to sign Kyle and Patterson.

For Dallas it makes sense because it gives them a young starting center for their rebuild. Also, it looks like the draft is going to be guard heavy at the top.

Sullinger is essentially salary ballast, but if they like him in Dallas, they could resign him. Dwight Powell would be his replacement in Toronto.

I came up with this when seeing the Bogut rumors. I think the Raps are a potential suitor for any large expiring contract, for the reasons I listed. Also, I've been thinking how a player that can defend 4s and 5s might help the front court rotation. Dwight Powell seems like a really good fit with the Raptors in a lot of ways.
                    Last edited by OakTree; Tue Dec 13, 2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Yes, as you are fond of saying, we can't judge fit or success for a certainty until we try it, right?

When messing with an all-time great offence, there is significant risk in any move - I'm saying Whiteside is one of the few who might overcome that risk with the potential reward.
                      He might.. but how do you see Whiteside helping the Raps beat Cleveland.. which is how the end game is shaping up.

In the one game they have played... Cleveland whupped the heat by 30 and Hassan put up 8 points on 4 of 10 shooting with 12 boards with 28 minutes played.

So interested to hear how you see Hassan changing the game in our favour when the Cavs go small and Lebron goes to the 4 ? Or does he come out when the Cavs go small ? Whatdayathink ?
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Dec 13, 2016, 04:06 PM.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• OakTree wrote: View Post
                        Trade for Bogut - and here's why:

The Raps are at $99 mil payroll for next year. After Kyle opts out it's $87 mil.

The tax is expected to be around $122 mil. So, that leaves about $35 mil to resign Kyle, Patterson, plus draft picks. That's not enough unless Kyle signs for way less than the max. Maybe the Raps are willing to go over the tax, but it's probably not a good idea, since it really limits roster flexibility.

So, trade JV + Sullinger for Bogut + Dwight Powell.

Bogut's on an expiring contract, so he would essentially be a playoff rental. He would be a no back to backs, low minute guy. That's fine considering the kind of player he is. In some match ups Casey won't want to play him anyway.

Dwight Powell I think is a really good fit in the front court rotation as a plus defender that can guard 4s and 5s. He has a jump shot, though not much range. If the Raps can develop his corner 3s he could be really good as a rotation big. I also really like his fit. He's like a slower, more physical BeBe. He's a good passer out of the pick and roll, and he can rebound and protect the rim.

Also, it would give the Raptors around $8 mil extra in cap room this offseason, for a total of $43 mil. Which is a more realistic figure for trying to sign Kyle and Patterson.

For Dallas it makes sense because it gives them a young starting center for their rebuild. Also, it looks like the draft is going to be guard heavy at the top.

Sullinger is essentially salary ballast, but if they like him in Dallas, they could resign him. Dwight Powell would be his replacement in Toronto.

I came up with this when seeing the Bogut rumors. I think the Raps are a potential suitor for any large expiring contract, for the reasons I listed. Also, I've been thinking how a player that can defend 4s and 5s might help the front court rotation. Dwight Powell seems like a really good fit with the Raptors in a lot of ways.
                        So by that logic we should trade JV to be able to bring back Patterson...

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          So by that logic we should trade JV to be able to bring back Patterson...
                          It looks like that's going to be the choice the Raptors have in the offseason.

Or they could go into the tax.

[Also, I edited the post. Somehow I put my thoughts on Bogut's fit in the paragraph about Dwight Powell's fit.]
                          Last edited by OakTree; Tue Dec 13, 2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• I still think we should be on pacers watch, they're in the mediocre log jam..if they finish on the outside looking in, don't be surprised if paul george knocks on Larrys door and says "hey Mr bird, I wanna fly away". We already know he's really good friends with demar, and there's actually no better fit around the league. Lebron kawhi and durant occupy the 3 spot of the only teams with a shot at a ring, and what a 1-2-3 combo wed have. Like wow. With that kind of star power, 2pat all of a sudden becomes the PERFECT power forward on a champion. Plus george can play the role of shutdown damn, average 25 a game, let kyle spot up for 3s, facilitate and just run around like a savage.

In short, lose pacers lose.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Looking at the options we have right now and seeing how well this group plays together, I think we better stand pat for the season. Thoughts?
                              Think your right for a couple of reasons.

One.. the team is playing very very well at this point and its unlikely that after preaching continuity and staying the course and letting the players grow together the GM makes a radical turn and makes the big move. Yes they have lost 3 to Lebron and thats the team they have to get by. Of the 3 losses to the Lebrons, Cleveland beat them good in game 3. Games 1 and 2 could have gone either way.

Two..The Raptors made a move to bring in Sullinger because they saw something that the coaching and pro scouting staff felt would help them in a material way. So until Jared gets a decent road test I would expect the Raps to keep their powder dry on short term trades.

Come February if Sullinger isn't doing whatever he was brought in to do then a trade may unfold.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

Looking at the options we have right now and seeing how well this group plays together, I think we better stand pat for the season. Thoughts?
                                Definitely wait to see how Sullinger integrates. Should have a month to do so before the deadline.

Unless a true needle mover becomes available that doesn't cripple the future.

Anyway it's going to be MU's call and he's been cool and smart. No panic and stingy with assets.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X