Everything Trade Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    ATL didn't exactly get nothing for losing Teague, Carroll, and Horford as FA's. Having FA's walk helped clear the cap space to sign Dwight and still make Horford a good offer last summer. They put themselves in a pretty good position to try to improve a roster that could never even win a game against Lebron in the postseason.

But yeah their talent is much thinner now and they don't want to lose current final season guys for nothing, especially if their season is mediocre - then there's no point in holding on to see what happens in the playoffs.
    If the hawks were smart they should have traded Milsap for Oladipo (similar package for Ibaka) this offseason. Then signed Howard and Horford. Teague/Oladipo/Korver/Horford/Howard would be a contender in the east better than the current Boston team imo.

Comment

• I also think we need to keep in better perspective Millsap's age. He is 32 and this is a guy that was around when the Jazz's core was still Deron, Boozer, AK47 and Jerry Sloan lol. There is a lot of mileage on Sap.

If you listen to different analysts they do say they think Paul has lost a step this year and if you watch ATL games you'll Sap barely gets above the rim on a dunk and he lays in a lot of baskets as a guy who in his day was actually quite a powerful dunker. If we were to get him I think we're lucky if we even get 2 more years of him at a relatively high level and all the more reason why wouldn't include the kitchen sink to get him.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        Raptors interest is hitting ESPN. Millsap getting serious shade here:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=18396018

First segment.
        Agree with Stephen Jackson.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I think that the anyone voicing concerns over Milsap should realize that the purpose isn't to be the best in 4 years but tomorrow. The thinking is that the Raps may never be this good again for a couple decades and thus why not get the best team today. Who cares if Milsap falls off in 3 years, cause the window for getting to the finals is now, and Milsap is the best option for that.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            I think that the anyone voicing concerns over Milsap should realize that the purpose isn't to be the best in 4 years but tomorrow. The thinking is that the Raps may never be this good again for a couple decades and thus why not get the best team today. Who cares if Milsap falls off in 3 years, cause the window for getting to the finals is now, and Milsap is the best option for that.
            Exactly. I am more than comfortable giving both Lowry & Milsap 4 years at close to the max. They are both currently top 5 at their positions and I can see them performing at an allstar or close to allstar level for at least 3 more years since they have games that don't rely on athleticism. The raptors window to contend is now while Lowry can still play at a high level they need to do everything they can to take it to the next level in the next 2 years.

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
              Cavs pretty much have 4 if you include the near max TT got.
              The difference is the Cavs paid TT, Love and Irving prior to the cap spike. DeRozan, Lowry and Millsap are all being paid after it.

Comment

• Favorite tweet of recent rumble. I forgot completely that this is another complicated mariage of Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations (this is topic for another interesting discussion, how does it work and why teams even consider it). Yet another reason that ATL will be looking for players ready now, not prospects/picks. They've been in the playoffs for 9 straight years and selling Milsap for future assets probably means that streak will be over, with fans & owners attitude that might get Budenholzer canned.

Comment

• One would think the owners are smart enough to hold onto Bud, unless they want to tank. And owners never WANT to tank.

Almost all of the past few GM's that have dealt with MU have ended up with "SUCKER" stamped on their forehead. Yeah, that might make a deal a bit more difficult.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Edit: just realized there's a whole thread on what I just posted.
                    Last edited by Lupe; Mon Jan 2, 2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I think that the anyone voicing concerns over Milsap should realize that the purpose isn't to be the best in 4 years but tomorrow. The thinking is that the Raps may never be this good again for a couple decades and thus why not get the best team today. Who cares if Milsap falls off in 3 years, cause the window for getting to the finals is now, and Milsap is the best option for that.
                      But I do think everybody gets that, if they didn't I think you would see people actually flat out opposing a trade.

I just think stating concern is a matter keeping things in perspective. I really do believe that it would help if people watched Millsap this year and so far he has been a step slower, he does have a TON of mileage on him and he is 32 lol He will certainly have an impact but I think it will be a very slight notch below what we would hope because he is a slightly slowing down so yes you do want him 100% because he will get you very damn close to contention....but his age and wear & tear is a legit concern on our end and on the otherside ATL is not in a position of power at all.

Being aware that ATL has lost 2 core players for essentially nothing and traded another for a lesser pick than one we could offer as a part of a larger package of other players and that ATL as a franchise kinda a figurative gun to the head because they can't lose all 5 of the starting all-star line up and end up with just the #12 pick Taurean Prince. They gotta make a move but we have to be smart on our end too, him and Kyle's salary is going to really make us lean and we're gonna need those draft picks just to keep this ship moving. You don't wanna give it all away then overwork those 2 older players, get injured and have absolutely nothing to fall back on. All I see in this thread is people trying to figure out what is that right deal, again I don't see anyone oppose it so it's not really about not wanting to, it's how can we?!

Comment

• Majesiu wrote: View Post

Favorite tweet of recent rumble. I forgot completely that this is another complicated mariage of Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations (this is topic for another interesting discussion, how does it work and why teams even consider it). Yet another reason that ATL will be looking for players ready now, not prospects/picks. They've been in the playoffs for 9 straight years and selling Milsap for future assets probably means that streak will be over, with fans & owners attitude that might get Budenholzer canned.
                        Solution: Bud trades himself for Casey. lol.

Comment

The counter to this thinking is: LeBron James

We would be tying our title chances to the same window of LeBron. That's risky in of itself.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

We would be tying our title chances to the same window of LeBron. That's risky in of itself.
                            That was already the case when we re-signed DeMar to the near-max. If we didn't want to challenge LeBron then we might as well have tanked.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

Except we have no idea when he'll slow down. There's literally no one like him in sport. Maybe next year he goes down to injury and is never the same. Maybe he plays exactly like this until he's 40.

I do think it is important to keep one eye on the future as well, and the team shouldn't be trading Powell, JV or DeMar, who will be part of that second wave after Lowry/Millsap decline.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Except we have no idea when he'll slow down. There's literally no one like him in sport. Maybe next year he goes down to injury and is never the same. Maybe he plays exactly like this until he's 40.

I do think it is important to keep one eye on the future as well, and the team shouldn't be trading Powell, JV or DeMar, who will be part of that second wave after Lowry/Millsap decline.
                                Agreed.

...and one thing I will say in all this discussion about our "window of opportunity" is that of all the options, Millsap does seem the most realistic. Cousins is a screwloose and I really don't think our offence needs another ball dominant player especially when our guards don't really seem in sync with playing well with one, it's one or the other. Paul George is probably the dream scenario but frankly between Bird's renowned stubbornness and the pleothra of other suitors with likely better assets to offer it's far more pipe dream than reality and waiting for Paul to become a FA we just have the time for...

That leaves Paul, he's a guy who will make it incredibly hard to double Lowry and DeRozan because you have to guard him too, he's a great decision maker who's going to get other teammates involved and he can be that 3rd guy you can count on to put another 15-20pts when needed. He is also who I don't think in a head to head match up with the Cavs is the guy to put us over the top but he puts us right there under their nose...that if there is a nagging injury or something in a series to any of their Big 3 we're close enough we just might be able to capitalize and break through and of course if there is a real injury (like Kyrie and Love have histories of, not wishing it on them) well now we have green light and what more can a franchise ask for than the opportunity to compete for a title?!??

My only concern is not leaving ourselves too lean to make the deal happen to begin with, I really wish there was a way to send both Sully and Pat instead of Ross because we're going to need that shooting to try and keep up with CLE.
                                Last edited by JamesNaismith; Mon Jan 2, 2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X